The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Lowering a 3/4 ton Suburban (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=811966)

Nodnarb76 09-15-2020 12:27 PM

Lowering a 3/4 ton Suburban

2 Attachment(s)
Well, I may finally be getting my Stimulus check next week. I have been on the fence as to what to spend it on, and one option was to lower my Suburban.
It is a 3/4 ton R20. I have found plenty of parts to lower the front using 3/4 ton spindles, and springs. The rear is where I run in to a wall.
If I do an axle flip, I understand I will need to "C" notch my frame. Who sells a "C" notch and flip kit for a suburban? If I do an axle flip with a 14 bolt full float axle, would I need to cut into my rear floor and loose my 3rd row seat?

If I do an axle flip any suggestions on how much to lower the front to make it sit level?

This is about the stance I am looking for.

jasonroman 09-15-2020 05:03 PM

Re: Lowering a 3/4 ton Suburban

wish someone would reply with some help.
wish i had info for you. i did my old one by taking leaf spring out since i could not get good info on how to flip it. good luck bud.
post pic of your truck and if you find any info. send my way. im about to buy another burb.

Nodnarb76 09-17-2020 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonroman (Post 8808584)
wish someone would reply with some help.
wish i had info for you. i did my old one by taking leaf spring out since i could not get good info on how to flip it. good luck bud.
post pic of your truck and if you find any info. send my way. im about to buy another burb.

Will do. I have noticed there is a ton of info out there obviously for the 1/2 Burbs, and event the 1 ton trucks. but a 3/4 ton truck/Suburban is hard to find.
I have had plenty of people tell me just convert it to 1/2 ton, but I don't want to do that. Western Chassis sells 4" drop leaf springs for $600. I may have to go that route.

BlueJeep 09-17-2020 12:58 PM

Check out my build thread for info on the notch. I'm just finishing it up now. Only commercially available notch I found was from airbagit.com.

Those pictures you posted are lowered 6" in the rear, so they have flip kits (or equivalent) based on how they sit.

The problem I see you having is floor space for that massive 14bolt FF axle. I notched mine so that my 10 bolt will not hit the floor, but you have a lot less room than I do. An option to keep it 3/4 ton would be to swap in a 14 bolt semi float axle in the rear, as that is physically smaller and would clear the floor better. Another option (albeit more expensive) would be to put a ford 9" in the back with 8 lug axle shafts.

That blue/white suburban is interesting, where did you find the picture? It has 6 lug wheels, which appeals to me as I've been toying with the idea of swapping in a 99-06 rear axle with OEM discs, maybe even with the link suspension of a suburban/tahoe.... Front 6 lug rotors are available too.

jasonroman 09-17-2020 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueJeep (Post 8809553)
Check out my build thread for info on the notch. I'm just finishing it up now. Only commercially available notch I found was from airbagit.com.

Those pictures you posted are lowered 6" in the rear, so they have flip kits (or equivalent) based on how they sit.

The problem I see you having is floor space for that massive 14bolt FF axle. I notched mine so that my 10 bolt will not hit the floor, but you have a lot less room than I do. An option to keep it 3/4 ton would be to swap in a 14 bolt semi float axle in the rear, as that is physically smaller and would clear the floor better. Another option (albeit more expensive) would be to put a ford 9" in the back with 8 lug axle shafts.

That blue/white suburban is interesting, where did you find the picture? It has 6 lug wheels, which appeals to me as I've been toying with the idea of swapping in a 99-06 rear axle with OEM discs, maybe even with the link suspension of a suburban/tahoe.... Front 6 lug rotors are available too.

awesome build thread!!!
nice work man. wish i had the knowledge and talent you do.
still have the truck?

where is it now.

496bb 08-12-2022 08:45 PM

Can you tell me what size AT tires you're running in the pics with the later model 8 lug stock wheels? Trying to decide on either those or AR Baja's (8") for a 2wd 3/4T Burb. I don't want lower, I want the wheel wells filled up and stuffed looking.

Nodnarb76 08-12-2022 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 496bb (Post 9111864)
Can you tell me what size AT tires you're running in the pics with the later model 8 lug stock wheels? Trying to decide on either those or AR Baja's (8") for a 2wd 3/4T Burb. I don't want lower, I want the wheel wells filled up and stuffed looking.

If you are asking about my truck they are 305/70/16s

496bb 08-12-2022 10:22 PM

Yes, thanks. No rubbing issues with stock 2wd 3/4T suspension?

Nodnarb76 08-14-2022 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 496bb (Post 9111912)
Yes, thanks. No rubbing issues with stock 2wd 3/4T suspension?

No rubbing at all. The person I bought it from had 315/70/16’s and they did rub when turning when down to the 305’s and no rubbing.