The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   55.2-59 Green windshield glass (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=852190)

popeyestruck 04-24-2024 04:22 PM

Green windshield glass

When I bought my truck it came with a new windshield in a box. Getting to the point of putting glass in and I just looked and the windshield is green glass. I'm putting clear on the back and sides then having it tinted grey from the Florida sun. Has anyone put in green windshield and tinted everywhere else? I hate to have to buy a clear windshield to match so I'm trying to find out if it will look OK

dsraven 04-25-2024 09:06 AM

Re: Green windshield glass

I had a fella looking for the green tinted side windows, hard to find apparently. you may be able to find somebody looking for the green glass for a numbers resto. I will put in the clear for the same reason as you, likely a light tint.

popeyestruck 04-25-2024 10:03 AM

A friend of mine stopped by this morning with a new truck that he had tinted all windows including the windshield. I might call the tinter and see if tint would cover the green. NPD has clear windshields for $272 and I can drive there to save on shipping if I need to go that route. Shipping kills you on windshields

mr48chev 04-25-2024 11:37 AM

You had best check your state laws on tinting a windshield with aftermarket tint before you go any further. In some areas it isn't legal at all because of the idiots who decided to put the same dark tint they put on the side windows on the windshield.

youngrodder 04-25-2024 01:31 PM

I'm running all green glass in my 53 Suburban. I had a local glass shop cut it all (minus the rear barn door glass) and I installed it all.

Not sure you could tell a huge difference if some was clear vs green.

Marc

popeyestruck 04-25-2024 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 9308263)
I'm running all green glass in my 53 Suburban. I had a local glass shop cut it all (minus the rear barn door glass) and I installed it all.

Not sure you could tell a huge difference if some was clear vs green.

Marc

Thats what I'm thinking

popeyestruck 04-25-2024 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr48chev (Post 9308239)
You had best check your state laws on tinting a windshield with aftermarket tint before you go any further. In some areas it isn't legal at all because of the idiots who decided to put the same dark tint they put on the side windows on the windshield.

Yeah its a common problem in Fla. The tinters know whats legal and wont even sell it to you if you want too dark

my56chevytruck 04-27-2024 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr48chev (Post 9308239)

mr48chev is correct many states will ticket and fine you for a tinted windshield, check 1st

_Ogre 04-27-2024 02:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
i have a green windshield and tinted glass around. it looks fine to me.