The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Detail Clay not working (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=587589)

Damon23 07-06-2013 06:08 PM

Detail Clay not working

I have a spot on the rear of the passenger side bed. Looks like some sort of paint. It looks like paint hit it or maybe even some clear. I don't know but I used a clay bar and it is not getting it off. Any other suggestions?

2ndstoryslam 07-16-2013 08:44 PM

Re: Detail Clay not working

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damon23 (Post 6159834)
I have a spot on the rear of the passenger side bed. Looks like some sort of paint. It looks like paint hit it or maybe even some clear. I don't know but I used a clay bar and it is not getting it off. Any other suggestions?

WD-40. Grease and Wax Remover. Light 3M 6068 polish by hand. Mothers Mag polish by hand.

Damon23 07-17-2013 04:03 PM

Tried the wd-40, wax and grease remover and the mag polish. I was out of the perfect it 2 compound. I need to see if they can give me a paint code anyway so I'll go get some. Thanks.

Rochlow 07-17-2013 09:22 PM

2000 ultra fine and perfect II
Posted via Mobile Device

BigDan3131 07-20-2013 10:25 PM

Did you think to just lightly soak a rag in Laq Thinner and wipe it off???

Chrome8 07-21-2013 01:15 PM

I took a new truck to the body shop to have a clear coat drip fixed and the guy put a piece of tape on a razor blade and carefully shaved it off! I couldn't believe it, must be an oldtimer trick or something. We buffed it and it was virtually gone.

BigDan3131 07-31-2013 10:27 PM

I do that all the time it just takes a knack to know when to stop.

Rufton 07-31-2013 10:35 PM

Detailing clay can lift paint if used aggressively.
I like Rochlow's idea but those supplies are expensive.

v6wells 02-12-2014 04:15 AM

goof off

piecesparts 02-12-2014 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rochlow (Post 6178095)
2000 ultra fine and perfect II
Posted via Mobile Device

You can purchase a fine grit wet and dry paper in any paint supply outlet and the rubbing compound is easy enough to get. If you don't want to pay for the quart of quality rubbing compound, then purchase some small containers from O Reillys or Autozone, that is used for rubbing out paint. If all else fails use toothpaste, it is an abrasive.

I use 3M Finnesse-It rubbing compound in my shop all of the time for rubbing out paint scratches, fogged over headlights, scratched plastic lenses, instrument gauge panels, and just about anything that has something stuck to it. It is not expensive if you use it all of the time.

Iceburgh 03-06-2014 04:27 PM

There is some info here that I would stay away from.
Best thing to do is post a pic to get a better look at it along with some info about the type of paint used.

piecesparts 03-06-2014 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceburgh (Post 6561144)
There is some info here that I would stay away from.
Best thing to do is post a pic to get a better look at it along with some info about the type of paint used.

You could clarify this some more???????

Iceburgh 03-07-2014 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piecesparts (Post 6561664)
You could clarify this some more???????

I would never use thinner to remove overspray. You might get away with it with enamel but lacquer or base coat clear coat you wont. Not even lightly,
Clay never will lift paint. Not the mild clay , not the aggressive clay.
If it does it is a paint issue not a clay issue.
If the problem is actually over spray and not something like the clear breaking down, clay will work. If it does not sand and buff is your next option.
In this case lighter is better not knowing what you are working with as far as thickness of paint, age etc.
Start out with 5000 wet, rotary medium cut ( numerous brands) with foam pad at 1500 rpm. Move to light cut then on to D.A. with finish

piecesparts 03-07-2014 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceburgh (Post 6562756)
I would never use thinner to remove overspray. You might get away with it with enamel but lacquer or base coat clear coat you wont. Not even lightly,
Clay never will lift paint. Not the mild clay , not the aggressive clay.
If it does it is a paint issue not a clay issue.
If the problem is actually over spray and not something like the clear breaking down, clay will work. If it does not sand and buff is your next option.
In this case lighter is better not knowing what you are working with as far as thickness of paint, age etc.
Start out with 5000 wet, rotary medium cut ( numerous brands) with foam pad at 1500 rpm. Move to light cut then on to D.A. with finish

Thanks, nothing like the whole input.

Gumby 03-07-2014 09:44 PM

Did ya try some gas on a rag? will strip the wax in the area but if the paint that got on it, was still soft or didn't bond well, it should come off. Just wax the area when done.