The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   Budget-friendly headers for LS swap (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=847562)

downbytheriver 09-20-2023 10:23 AM

Budget-friendly headers for LS swap

Have a 5.3 project I'm back on. Taking the turbo stuff off now and just going NA for a while.

Which inexpensive stainless headers work with the ECE mounts? I see thorleys etc but they seem to be out of business and they're a grand. Would like long tubes. I am certainly not above ebay headers, as these are temporary.

clay68c10 09-20-2023 02:43 PM

Re: Budget-friendly headers for LS swap

The Speed Engineering headers are what I'm running. I don't know what mounts they clear. They're under $400
The Holley/Hooker/Speedway mount setup I have required some "clearance creating", but nothing crazy.

downbytheriver 09-20-2023 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clay68c10 (Post 9242782)
The Speed Engineering headers are what I'm running. I don't know what mounts they clear. They're under $400
The Holley/Hooker/Speedway mount setup I have required some "clearance creating", but nothing crazy.

Those look like a great deal.

I see they mention having to clearance the ears off the 4L80. Which trans are you running?

LS short box 09-20-2023 04:45 PM

I used the Speedway Engineering SS 1 3/4" long tubes on my 68 C10 LS swap. They fit well and did not leak. I know they are made in China but I can't afford a $1200 set of headers.

clay68c10 09-21-2023 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downbytheriver (Post 9242787)

I see they mention having to clearance the ears off the 4L80. Which trans are you running?

TKO500, no clearance problems there.
I wouldn't be put off by removing those ears though. Not a big deal.

D-n-Tyke 09-22-2023 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downbytheriver (Post 9242787)

I installed these on mine with a 4L80. I did have to cut off a portion of the ear on the pass side of the bell housing. That part of the ear doesn't interface with anything so removing has no impact on the trans or engine. They worked out great and I wouldn't have any issue uaing them again.

LS short box 09-23-2023 04:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just a tip on protecting the spark plug wires. If they don't come with the engine I go to the local salvage yard and get a set of the metal spark plug boot protectors.
See pic.

downbytheriver 09-27-2023 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS short box (Post 9243826)
Just a tip on protecting the spark plug wires. If they don't come with the engine I go to the local salvage yard and get a set of the metal spark plug boot protectors.
See pic.

I moved my coilpacks to inside the frame rail to hide them, so I'll have to come up with something to protect them at a custom length, but great idea.

downbytheriver 09-27-2023 01:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been out of this project for years, and am just getting back into it, but I noticed I may have to do shortys because of this lokar 4l80 linkage. Looks pretty close to being right in the way.

edit: not sure why this picture is rotated

coldrider 09-27-2023 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-n-Tyke (Post 9243676)
I installed these on mine with a 4L80. I did have to cut off a portion of the ear on the pass side of the bell housing. That part of the ear doesn't interface with anything so removing has no impact on the trans or engine. They worked out great and I wouldn't have any issue uaing them again.

Had the same experience, trimmed the passenger side ear with 1-7/8 speed engineering and 4L80E

Quote:

Originally Posted by downbytheriver (Post 9245164)
I've been out of this project for years, and am just getting back into it, but I noticed I may have to do shortys because of this lokar 4l80 linkage. Looks pretty close to being right in the way.

Maybe just my monitor, but hard to see the issue in that pic. But I do remember having clearance trouble with my Lokar-style shift linkage (Summit brand) until I moved the lower rod end to the inside of the shift arm between the arm and the transmission/pan. Its still close, but I don't remember having to modify anything else to get it to clear.

Accelo 09-27-2023 05:28 PM

I also use the Speedway shorty headers.
I used the ceramic booted plug wires.
The flange is thick enough not to leak and the welding was amazing.
The headers themselves are stainless but very thin.
The only issue I had was getting the exhaust welded to the header extension.
The SS is so thin the weld wanted to burn through the SS extension.
A great deal for the money spent.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39456185808...3ABFBMzrrYiNti
$209.00

Longtubes
https://www.ebay.com/itm/26395067311...Bk9SR7DX4IjbYg
$270.00