The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   NJ Suburban (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=604170)

pwdcougar 01-03-2015 04:01 PM

Re: NJ Suburban

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard2717 (Post 6983052)
Looking good Paul. Never thought to ask you if the cross member that I sent was the right one.

Richard

Oh yes! It bolted right up after I cleaned it up.

pwdcougar 01-03-2015 04:03 PM

Leon the body work is going to take a while mostly because of funds. My small engine work falls off in the winter and my cash flow is greatly reduced!

I need to order a set of long adjustable sanding blocks. Man are they expensive!

Paul

LockDoc 01-03-2015 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwdcougar (Post 6983303)
Leon the body work is going to take a while mostly because of funds. My small engine work falls off in the winter and my cash flow is greatly reduced!

I need to order a set of long adjustable sanding blocks. Man are they expensive!

Paul

I can imagine. I just bought a decent set of semi rigid blocks and the price of those will make your toes curl....

LockDoc

pwdcougar 05-26-2015 08:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well can't believe it has been 4 months since the last update. Also can't believe it has been that long since I've done any work. My regular 9-5 has been busy and my small engine repair sideline is really taking off.

I'm getting ready to send the next two panels to the sandblaster soon. The hole are all closed up on the front fender and now I'm working on one of the rear barn doors. First off there is some rust through on the inside lip and some bubbles on the outside. Is it possible to use a side door lower patch panel to fix the area or will I have to make the parts?

The other issue is that it is covered with dent on the inside. The door is going to weigh 100 pounds with all the bondo to level them out. Any suggestions on how to get these dents out without pulling off the entire outer skin?

Paul

zicc1835 05-26-2015 09:56 PM

well good to hear your back at it......

pwdcougar 06-12-2015 08:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally some progress. Got a HF stud welder and puller set up and it works great! The Shoot Suit pop rivet style puller is amazing too.

This door is going to take a lot of studs though!

Paul

Average Joe 06-14-2015 11:04 AM

Nice work. Good to know you are happy with the HF stud welder. I have considered purchasing one.

pwdcougar 06-14-2015 02:20 PM

So far Joe it has worked great. This door is using a lot of pins because of all the dents. Luckily there is a new Harbor Freight that is only a few miles away.

Paul

LockDoc 06-14-2015 08:19 PM

-
I have considered buying one too. Good to know it works OK. The doors on my Burb were bad too. I just covered up what I could with upholstery panels and left the rest..... Good to see you working on it again.

LockDoc

pwdcougar 09-23-2015 08:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finally a break in my work load and another body part is painted with epoxy primer and the rough body work done! Hard to believe this is the same door.

Paul

LockDoc 09-23-2015 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwdcougar (Post 7318181)
Finally a break in my work load and another body part is painted with epoxy primer and the rough body work done! Hard to believe this is the same door.

Paul

That came out great! I need to do that to a couple of places on the inside of the Panel truck doors. Where did you get the Shoot Suit pop rivet puller?

LockDoc

zicc1835 09-23-2015 08:22 PM

looks fantastic Paul

pwdcougar 09-23-2015 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 7318189)
That came out great! I need to do that to a couple of places on the inside of the Panel truck doors. Where did you get the Shoot Suit pop rivet puller?

LockDoc

I got it on Ebay Leon. You have to be careful with them though the cup breaks easily. Have to say the Harbor Freight stud welder did a great job.

Paul

LockDoc 09-24-2015 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwdcougar (Post 7318233)
I got it on Ebay Leon. You have to be careful with them though the cup breaks easily. Have to say the Harbor Freight stud welder did a great job.

Paul

OK, thanks for the info.

LockDoc

pwdcougar 09-24-2015 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 7318749)
OK, thanks for the info.

LockDoc

Oh forgot to say that the Shoot Suit people sent me a new cone right away free of charge. I managed to jury rig the old cone using a hose clamp too.

Paul

LockDoc 09-25-2015 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwdcougar (Post 7318763)
Oh forgot to say that the Shoot Suit people sent me a new cone right away free of charge. I managed to jury rig the old cone using a hose clamp too.

Paul

That was a good deal. It's great to hear when company's follow up on problems with their products....

Thanks,
LockDoc

richard2717 02-04-2016 06:07 PM

Hey Paul
Any progress? That door looks like it turned out real nice. They just opened a harbor freight here in town and I have been resisting the urge to go in. That spot gun might make me have to go take a peek.

pwdcougar 02-05-2016 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard2717 (Post 7474053)
Hey Paul
Any progress? That door looks like it turned out real nice. They just opened a harbor freight here in town and I have been resisting the urge to go in. That spot gun might make me have to go take a peek.

Hey Richard!

Progress has been slow. Day job is busy and my small engine sideline is too. The only bolt on body panels left to do are the 3rd and passenger side doors and the hood. The third door I bought needed more work than I anticipated. The spot welder pin gun is a great help and so is the shrinking disk set I picked up. Hopefully the body will be home early spring!

Paul

pwdcougar 04-09-2016 08:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Finally finished the last of the removable body parts, the passenger door and the 3rd door. Sandblasted, rough body filler work and epoxy primer. Next week the body will come home! The plan is to remove all the glass, wiring and other accessories and separate it from the 2wd frame. Not sure if I'll put it on my rotisserie or build a cart/cradle for doing body work to the main body.

pwdcougar 04-22-2016 09:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm years away from needing these but the price was right. 2004 Suburban seats front and second row for $250!

Paul

LockDoc 04-23-2016 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwdcougar (Post 7570067)
I'm years away from needing these but the price was right. 2004 Suburban seats front and second row for $250!

Paul

Those should work great. Let us know how the mounting goes.

LockDoc

zicc1835 04-23-2016 08:13 AM

nice score Paul

Average Joe 04-24-2016 11:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Great seats! You wont be dissapointed. I used the same front seat in my '67. I built a bracket to utilize the original mounting points. I need to rework it however because they sit a little high.

pwdcougar 04-26-2016 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Average Joe (Post 7571488)
Great seats! You wont be dissapointed. I used the same front seat in my '67. I built a bracket to utilize the original mounting points. I need to rework it however because they sit a little high.

Thanks for the pic Joe. It's gonna be a while before they get installed though!

Paul

pwdcougar 05-05-2016 07:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finally dragged the body home to work on!

Paul