The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Donz '65 SWB Stepper Budget Build... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=533920)

Bomp 12-26-2012 07:41 PM

Re: Donz '65 SWB Stepper Budget Build...

That snow covered frame sure makes for a nice picture.
All it does here is rain. Looking at wet frames doesn't do it for me anymore:lol:
Even in down time your stuff looks neat.

Ta2Don 12-26-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 5778979)
That snow covered frame sure makes for a nice picture.
All it does here is rain. Looking at wet frames doesn't do it for me anymore:lol:
Even in down time your stuff looks neat.

Thanks Man... looking forward to getting back after it soon...:mm:

Ta2Don 01-04-2013 04:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Not much accomplished since our Christmas Snow...:(

Just thought I'd post these Pics of some of the truck's original documentation, this is the only piece still available, seems the truck was originally purchased by the local school system...:mm::mm:

Next step is to see if the school may possibly retain any records...

CRGRS 66 01-04-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 5795754)

Just thought I'd post these Pics of some of the truck's original documentation, this is the only piece still available, seems the truck was originally purchased by the local school system...:mm::mm:

Very Cool!

williamsboys 01-04-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 5795754)

I got that same little book and metal tag in mine too. It's pretty cool
Posted via Mobile Device

bubbalou65 01-08-2013 07:41 PM

you dont mess around. its cold were i am so holdin off abit for winter. likin the truck thou. the blue will look nice. I am havin an issue with fitting a stock back spacing under the rear. any suggestions for that. keep up the post.

Ta2Don 01-08-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbalou65 (Post 5804803)
you dont mess around. its cold were i am so holdin off abit for winter. likin the truck thou. the blue will look nice. I am havin an issue with fitting a stock back spacing under the rear. any suggestions for that. keep up the post.

If you are talking about wheel backspacing, I'm not sure... I think the wheels I have will fit under the stepside fenders but havent had the bed on it since I swapped to these wheels, sorry I can't be of more help just now. BTW I graduated High School just up 55 from you at Braidwood...

Ta2Don 01-12-2013 11:42 AM

No luck with the school retaining records, but one of the mechanics drove the truck from 73 to 93 when it was put out to pasture... I will be dropping by the bus garage to talk with him and show him what I have accomplished so far. That is the only update for now, hopefully I will have some progress to report soon. For now just trying to stay dry with all the weekend rain we have forecast... Enjoy guys!
Posted via Mobile Device

McMurphy 01-13-2013 12:24 PM

My first 1966 Tempest Custom was stolen while we were stationed in Korea, it too had the original owners manual, and the maintenence book with the metal stamper plate.
Those are awesome little tid bits of vehicle history that really add some punch to their value.

Ta2Don 01-17-2013 05:26 PM

It's official, truck project is on hold for a couple of months... Moving my business to a new location locally, so all after-hours for the next few weeks or so will be poured into the move and restructuring, gonna be fun! Will check in occasionally nonetheless.

McMurphy 01-17-2013 11:35 PM

Hope you keep tabs on us for sure!
As always I will keep an eye out for when you can get back to posting on your build !!

Hope this move works out best for you !!

Ta2Don 01-18-2013 10:24 AM

Thanks Murph, your dash ext is looking Sweet
Posted via Mobile Device

Ta2Don 02-07-2013 11:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Making good progress with the biz move, no downtime, which equals "No Interruption in da cash flow," which equals, happy checkbook...:mm:
Took the last 18 years to put everything into old location, and 2 days to move it all. Now we get to rearrange and try to find everything! :lol:

Here's a pic of a mirror in my Work Area... Can't wait to get back on the Truck Project...

Bomp 02-08-2013 12:43 AM

I'm sittin here justa waitin. Like the mirror.

Apathybot 02-13-2013 08:53 PM

Nice to see some local 60-66 enthusiasts . I'm down here in Cabot if you ever need a hand. I plan on starting my 64 C20 Build this summer, might find myself in need of some assistance (or ink!)

Ta2Don 02-14-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apathybot (Post 5887176)
Nice to see some local 60-66 enthusiasts . I'm down here in Cabot if you ever need a hand. I plan on starting my 64 C20 Build this summer, might find myself in need of some assistance (or ink!)

Thanks Man, if you are ever up in Searcy, drop by the studio, we are next to the Searcy Cinema behind the Tobacco Station...

64tantruck 03-11-2013 08:40 PM

Looks good, Can't wait to see it done.

Glenn

Ta2Don 03-11-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64tantruck (Post 5940996)
Looks good, Can't wait to see it done.

Glenn

me too... then I'll be doing this...:bann:

Ta2Don 03-15-2013 06:27 PM

My couple of months is up in a few days, so barring any un-forseen issues, I should be posting updates soon...

McMurphy 03-16-2013 01:01 AM

Yay !!! :clap:

Ta2Don 03-17-2013 02:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally a small update, albeit, still an update...

Due to liquid sunshine today, I was unable to do the frame cleaning I had planned... so I was able to get in the shed and do a little...

Got the Cowl vent seals replaced, and the handles removed in preparation to steal Murph's cowl vent cable opening mod. :mm:
Since Murph acknowledged Coulter in his build with his "Coulter Trim," I will aptly name the Cowl Vent Cable Controls the "Murph Controls!" Thanks McMurph for posting the vent cable pulls for me to steal the idea for my build.

Ta2Don 03-29-2013 09:02 AM

Not much progress to report... but I did pick up a MIG Welder (Cheap) and have made a place in the Shop for it, waiting on my electrician to come over and wire up the 220 receptacle... For the time being I am re-purposing a derelict table saw for use as a welding table, nice steel top, gutted the internals last night, next step is to blast the surface rust... What's the best way to prep the top after the rust is gone??? Oil, WD40, any input is welcome... Thanks for looking in on my ramblings, enjoy!!!

dantimdad 03-29-2013 11:45 AM

Look on peachtree woodworking. There is a spray product for cast iron tools that keeps them from rusting and doesn't gum up the work you are doing on it.

Franmar Saw Blade Cleaner Pint (16oz) BBBQTWD

http://www.ptreeusa.com/franmar_chemicals.htm

I have a thing of the aerosol that has lasted for years and works great. Unfortunately it's not sold that way any more.

Steven

Ta2Don 03-29-2013 11:47 AM

Thanks Steven!!!

Bomp 03-29-2013 12:32 PM

Congrats on the welder. Things are gonna get going now.:metal:
What size of wire are you planning on using?