The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   Will this fuel tank work for LS Swap (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=824865)

cgster 08-16-2021 10:44 AM

Will this fuel tank work for LS Swap

1 Attachment(s)
Looking to do an LS swap on a 72 C10. Im not a mechanic by any means so trying to find out as much as I can before I decide to put the money and headache into doing this versus just dropping a 350 into the truck.

I already have the following type aftermarket under bed gas tank, will this gas tank support an LS swap motor? Thanks.

Thealien 08-16-2021 11:49 AM

Re: Will this fuel tank work for LS Swap

You will need to install an internal or external fuel pump. Internal is preferred as the fuel helps cool the pump. I bought my pump assembly from a place called tanks Inc.

Custom 68 08-16-2021 03:38 PM

I ran something similar for years with an external fuel pump. Like Thealien mentioned an internal pump is better. I swapped a few years back to more of a custom tank that would accept the correct internal high pressure pump. That is probably the best but you can use what you have. Just keep the pump as close to the tank as possible.
Dave

rodstored-72 08-16-2021 06:35 PM

I would think that as long as the tank opening is acceptable to a electric pump(s) then it should be ok? also I believe that the tanks (in general) need to be fuel injection exceptable (in tank baffles)....:ito:

Thealien 08-16-2021 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodstored-72 (Post 8958691)
I would think that as long as the tank opening is acceptable to a electric pump(s) then it should be ok? also I believe that the tanks (in general) need to be fuel injection exceptable (in tank baffles)....:ito:

Tanks inc sells a pump with a bracket that works as a small fuel bowl/baffle. You have to hole saw a hole in the tank and there is a ring with a bunch of threaded holes that the whole assembly then screws to. Its actually pretty simple. It does stick up a couple of inches so you have to make sure you have clearance.

EagleChief 08-25-2021 03:46 PM

Does that tank have baffles in it? If so, it would be great for a LS swap. If not, you'll have to contend with fuel starvation when under hard acceleration, or hard cornering when your fuel level gets low.

I'm slowly working on my swap now. Trying to deal with the fuel tank. I'm mounting one under the bed - using a Fuel Injected tank from a 1990 Jeep Wrangler. It's supposed to work great, and it only cost about $100 new.

mongocanfly 08-27-2021 08:22 PM

If you go external pump you will for sure need a return port on the tank for the bypass and may need one for internal pump as well

Richard 08-27-2021 09:28 PM

Most of the newer GM pumps used with LS motors have built in sumps, no need to baffle tank. Not sure why it is not common to use a stock type pump. Integration while different seems to be no harder than rigging up an aftermarket system. The stock pumps, especially the PWM variation will run cooler, draw less power and are more reliable than aftermarket.