The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   Ol Blue (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=530626)

zellway 06-23-2012 02:41 AM

Ol Blue

4 Attachment(s)
Well for starters this is going to be hard for me as I have never had this clean of a start. I want to take this back to more of a stock look. Might drop it a bit more and put the stock wheels and caps back on it. I will be getting new tail lights as the PO felt the need to black them out. It has a good working under dash a/c system but with the AZ heat that might not work out so well. I just want to driver this one. I just picked it up about 3 hours ago. Drove it from Tucson with no problems and only used 1/8" a tank (that is if the guage can be trusted) It need most of the rubber replaced. I found some small spots of rust in the normal spots. From what I can tell its stock paint. It drives like a new truck. The PO had a local shop install the drop coil's and a full front end kit so there is almost no play in this thing. I don't know if this will be much of a build as much as just a fresh up and drive. But I will do my best to post pic's of what I get done on it. When the sun is back out I will get some more pic's.

gcburdic 06-23-2012 07:57 AM

Re: Ol Blue

Cool burb zellway!!!...any SPID shots? how about interior?

zellway 06-23-2012 09:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gcburdic (Post 5449984)
Cool burb zellway!!!...any SPID shots? how about interior?

Its funny that you ask. I looked all over this thing when I got it and never once opend the glove box. Check out what I found.

zellway 06-23-2012 09:51 AM

5 Attachment(s)
More pic's

zellway 06-23-2012 09:56 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I will try and get a good set of pic's on this one. I could kick my self for all the stuff I have not taken pic's of.

zellway 06-23-2012 09:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The outside has some old faded blue paint over the stock teal. Should be fine for what I want. It's a good looking ride IMO.

gcburdic 06-24-2012 03:32 PM

Sweet!!...Thanks for the pics!!!:metal:

zellway 06-26-2012 08:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Monday I got to spend a part of my day at the DMV to get my new plates for Ol Blue.:waah: The nice thing is the tags are good till 2016! So I walk out all happy and ready to put my plate on and found out the hack job of a trailer hitch blocks the bottom of the plate. So I had to decide to cut 1 1/2" off the bottom of my plate or remove the hitch. Well not much thinking and I got back to the shop and took the plasma cutter for a test drive. Fixed my plate light and called it a day. This weekend I will clean up where I cut and paint the end of the frame. There is a little more play then I would like in the carrier bearing so I will be pulling the drive line this weekend. I'm going to do my best not to down Ol Blue like I have will all my other trucks I want to keep driving.

Green 1959 06-27-2012 02:02 PM

That looks like a really nice shop you are cutting the hitch off at!

zellway 06-27-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green 1959 (Post 5457406)
That looks like a really nice shop you are cutting the hitch off at!

Yep! You would know!:lol:

zellway 07-02-2012 07:34 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Well not much has been done this past week. I put about 200 miles on it in the AZ heat with no problems. A/C works great for the people in the front seat but something will need to be done if I want people to ride in back. I have been feeling a little shake at 65mph to 75mph and found the center bearing rubber was gone. I replaced it and check out the under side a bit more. Not much is going to be needed.

zellway 07-05-2012 08:42 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I had all kinds of things I wanted to get done yesterday. Not much did. I helped my friend install the hood on his 58. Got a bit done on my short bed and installed chrome headlight bezels on Ol blue. With the rain putting a end to much of what I wanted to do I helped my girlfriend with her marketing event at the Casa Grande fire work show. I got to use the sub and got some compliments on how clean it is. Had one guy give me a hard time about how dim the tail lights are but that is on my list of things to do. :waah:

Green 1959 07-05-2012 09:47 AM

It looks a lot better

zellway 07-09-2012 08:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Worked on cleaning it up this weekend. I also changed the oil. Took it on a trip to Tucson. 172 miles round trip in the heat with no problems. Vent window seals are high on my list of things to do! Got a chance to work on my other toys this weekend.

zellway 07-13-2012 06:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I got a little done but work takes up most my time any more. I will have some big stuff going on in the next few weeks. I have a bunch of the small parts on there way. I removed the black paint from the hood bow tie and repainted the center blue. I looking into some the tires for the stock wheels and I have a set of hubcaps I will clean up and get on.

zellway 07-18-2012 11:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
With work as crazy as it has been I don't get much time to work on my stuff. I popped the bowtie back on the hood and I removed the grill and started to get the paint off it. I will work out the few little dents and get this back on. Should look about how I want it to. I'm also looking into cleaning up the stock wheels and get some tires for them.

superduty_59 07-24-2012 12:07 PM

Nice work, I'm not a fan of black everything out either.

zellway 07-24-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superduty_59 (Post 5502802)
Nice work, I'm not a fan of black everything out either.

I hope to get the grill all done this weekend and I will get some updated shots of it. I was thinking the grill was shot and that is why the PO blacked it all out but its all in good shape. I will be getting all the lights replaced also.

zellway 07-25-2012 10:45 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I got a little done on the grill. This has been more work then I was thinking. I will work some of the dents out but it is a driver. There are a ton of small dents but that no big deal to me. This will work for the look I want. I hope to have this all done this weekend. I have also been doing a little house cleaning under the hood so I will get some pic's of that up today also.

Green 1959 07-25-2012 10:46 PM

Looking better. Should be nice when it gets together!

zellway 08-01-2012 09:38 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I have new found appreciation for people that paint all the detail around there grills! I have spent more time then I had planed on. I was going to sand down and do the full show type polish but for a driver I think this grill is fine. I worked a little bit out of the dent around the E but for fear of messing it up I called it good. I will get it painted after work then to cote it in UV clear to save the look of it. Should have it all back this weekend so I can take Ol blue out for a drive.

zellway 08-01-2012 07:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well its much better looking then when I started so I'm happy. I will get this back on this weekend. It's a good 10 foot job but will look at home on it. Now on to cleaning up the engine bay.

zellway 08-06-2012 08:37 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I like this look much better. Soon as I have the brackets done the bumper will go back on.

zellway 08-06-2012 08:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I knocked off a little of the dirt and more of the paint then I wanted. I also ditched the points.

BB72CHEVKT 08-06-2012 05:30 PM

The grill made a huge difference. Nice work!

zellway 08-13-2012 08:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Took a trip down to Tucson this weekend to pick up a new rear axle for my 67 from Oilyrag80. Did good in the heat. It runs great on the highway. Got all kinds of looks from people as I passed. A/C is a little weak but it was about 112 and the seals are not the best in the cab but it kept up. If you trust the GPS speedo apt my guage is only off a little bit. Don't ask how I got that pic. It was not EZ.

zellway 09-26-2012 10:43 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Well its been some time with no updates. I have been putting some miles on the old burb and enjoying having a driver. I dropped it off down in Tucson to get the seats redone. I can't wait to get it back. I will post pic's soon as I get it back next week. When I get it back I will get to work replacing more of the rubber goods around the windows.

zellway 10-11-2012 08:31 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Not done yet but looking good. The pic's do not show how cool the seats are in person! I'm vary happy with how they look and feel! They are going to cover the dash pad. Should be getting it back Monday.

Average Joe 10-12-2012 01:07 AM

Seat looks great!

zellway 10-12-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Average Joe (Post 5642878)
Seat looks great!

Thanks! When I didn't get a response from anyone I got the feeling I had strange taste and no one wanted to say anything negative about it. I love them I get to pick it up today and enjoy the drive back in nice new seats! :metal:

Green 1959 10-12-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Average Joe (Post 5642878)
Seat looks great!

Indeed

cris well 10-12-2012 02:55 PM

That seat looks really nice man.

I wish I had waited and had mine done like yours!

zellway 10-12-2012 03:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cris well (Post 5643547)
That seat looks really nice man.

I wish I had waited and had mine done like yours!

If this sub was not so stock I would have gone after some new type suburban seats but I like the look of the seats. I found this pic on this sight and could not get them out of my head I had to get mine done like them. But I think we all get ideas from stuff we see to a point.

blfuller123 10-12-2012 09:41 PM

I love the seats!

Slinger60 10-13-2012 12:32 AM

I think the seats look great.

rondog4416 10-14-2012 01:56 PM

Seats look great as does the burb !!!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Tinkermc 10-14-2012 07:22 PM

you don't find that clean and rust free trucks on this coast, very fine find

zellway 10-15-2012 08:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't know how I feel about the dashpad but it is nice. I will try and get better pic's. I have to work out what I will be doing for wheels and tires next.

Green 1959 10-15-2012 01:02 PM

I like it
Posted via Mobile Device

CG 10-16-2012 12:28 AM

Love the bench, great job. But ... the dash ... I really really love that! I was thinking about doing my dash like that but had never seen one ... awesome!