The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   reached a serious road block (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=829672)

scott123 01-11-2022 05:19 PM

reached a serious road block

1 Attachment(s)
I bought this 72 Blazer a few years ago on a killer deal. It is pretty much complete with the exception of a little body water and paint. I have put that off for a couple years just because it is so much more to just drive. I started this week taking it apart to get it painted.

The previous owner put in the roll pan in the back. Rubbing my hand on the seams I was happy with the work. Then today I hit the road block. He welded the roll pan in a blocked the bottom bolt that hold the tailgate hardware to the bed.

Unless I cut the pan out or butcher/notch the tailgate I now have a non-removable tailgate.

This is why they are so much more fun to drive....LOL

Scott

77chris03 01-11-2022 10:10 PM

Re: reached a serious road block

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott123 (Post 9017662)
I bought this 72 Blazer a few years ago on a killer deal. It is pretty much complete with the exception of a little body water and paint. I have put that off for a couple years just because it is so much more to just drive. I started this week taking it apart to get it painted.

The previous owner put in the roll pan in the back. Rubbing my hand on the seams I was happy with the work. Then today I hit the road block. He welded the roll pan in a blocked the bottom bolt that hold the tailgate hardware to the bed.

Unless I cut the pan out or butcher/notch the tailgate I now have a non-removable tailgate.

This is why they are so much more fun to drive....LOL

Scott

you could always go from the backside...no such thing as a road block...find another way around it!!!

hemi43 01-12-2022 10:40 AM

Now's your chance to remove that pan and put the original bumper back on. Roll pans were cool in the 90's :lol:

scott123 01-12-2022 11:30 AM

This is the direction I am leaning but have not decided. I am on the way out the door and sit on a five gallon bucket and stare at it. Maybe the answer will jump out at me. LOL

Funny how back in the 90's I thought the roll pan was (other than a cowl induction hood) was absolutely the worst thing a person could do to one of these trucks/blazers. When I bought this blazer I sort of like it now. Funny how that works.

(mine has a 68 front clip with a cowl induction hood. Every time I walk to the shop and open the doors it is like a kick in the nuts.

I have the fenders and core support ready to swap back to the 72. Waiting on the grill to get here.

Off to the five gallon bucket deliberation.......

Scott

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi43 (Post 9018002)
Now's your chance to remove that pan and put the original bumper back on. Roll pans were cool in the 90's :lol:

scott123 01-12-2022 11:32 AM

I think I have enough room to cut a slot in the tailgate (similar to the trucks in the 80's to remove the tailgate with the hardware intact.

My road black was I thought I was past the cutting and metal work on this one.

Scott

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77chris03 (Post 9017819)
you could always go from the backside...no such thing as a road block...find another way around it!!!