The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Anyone running CB's in their truck these days? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=753699)

CG 01-09-2018 12:53 AM

Re: Anyone running CB's in their truck these days?

I was up at Livrats a couple of weekends ago picking up couple hundred pounds of nuts and bolts and he gave me a CB ... So now I'm set when the day comes =)

yuccales 01-09-2018 08:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Royce AM/FM/CB. It does work, but don't get out to far. :lol:

weq92f 01-09-2018 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I ran one of these in the late 80s:

ChainGang 01-09-2018 09:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's my setup from the 70s.

CG 01-09-2018 11:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChainGang (Post 8156518)
Here's my setup from the 70s.

That is a very nice looking truck ...

yuccales 01-09-2018 11:19 PM

ChainGang, Great looking rig!

jocko 01-10-2018 12:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Great thread. Had two trucks, and therefore, 2 CBs I planned to install. Sold one (truck) so now I have to choose which one for the K20. Plan to run a GM am/fm/cb splitter with the factory am/fm. I'm sure it will probably be underpowered and work like crap, but it'll make me feel like Kris Kristofferson in a big Black Mack! (surely someone remembers that movie...)

el_fantasma 01-10-2018 12:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here ya go

jocko 01-10-2018 12:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Close.... but no cigar! The one and only hint: "in a chartreuse micro-bus..."

RANDY COX 01-11-2018 07:52 PM

CONVOY This here is the Rubber Duck...

70cst 01-12-2018 05:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just picked up this set of NOS Avanti Fazer CB Antennas.

Triplel40 01-12-2018 05:46 PM

We use CB's all the time but mainly four wheeling. In my '88 K2500 I've got a Cobra 29 with a loaded stainless whip mounted to the headache rack. My '80 Chevy LUV has a little Uniden 510 PRO with dual 102" stainless whips mounted to the rear of the bed. My '68 C60 has a Cobra 29 and short firesticks mounted to the mirrors.

70cst 01-14-2018 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triplel40 (Post 8158973)
We use CB's all the time but mainly four wheeling. In my '88 K2500 I've got a Cobra 29 with a loaded stainless whip mounted to the headache rack. My '80 Chevy LUV has a little Uniden 510 PRO with dual 102" stainless whips mounted to the rear of the bed. My '68 C60 has a Cobra 29 and short firesticks mounted to the mirrors.

The 102" stainless whips are about as good as one can get for an antenna ...

jocko 01-14-2018 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RANDY COX (Post 8158289)
CONVOY This here is the Rubber Duck...

Bingo ;)

Ironangel 01-14-2018 08:15 AM

Excellent thread! My daily driver still has the little chrome microphone holder screwed to the dash...I just didn't have the heart to remove it to leave a couple of open screw holes...This thread has made me think that that I need to hang a microphone on it just for conversation purposes. The grand kids all asked, "whats that for grandpa?" lol..."Well before cell phones, long ago and not so far away, we used CB radios to talk to one another"...:lol:

'68OrangeSunshine 01-14-2018 02:15 PM

Ironangel: I never deleted my Mic Clip either. Finally, last year, I thought, "Why not put the CB back in?'' So now ''I got my ears on'' again. Still working on a full wave mast/whip, just using a mag stub mount for the present.

Ironangel 01-14-2018 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 8160527)
Ironangel: I never deleted my Mic Clip either. Finally, last year, I thought, "Why not put the CB back in?'' So now ''I got my ears on'' again. Still working on a full wave mast/whip, just using a mag stub mount for the present.

That's a big 10-4 Orange Sunshine! Did you see that Ochre Chevy Chain Gangs got?...Dudes runnin an 8-track in there! How cool is that, come on? ;)

'68OrangeSunshine 01-14-2018 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70cst (Post 8158971)
Just picked up this set of NOS Avanti Fazer CB Antennas.

Now that's a fancy pair of Rabbit Ears. Avanti was high-end stuff as I recall.
I got a pair of Twin Truckers [at a truck stop, of course]. Don't have enough exposed mirror support tubing on my '71 Jimmy, as the PO put on Squarebody TV-style rearview mirrors, but I'll think of something.
There used to be a Ham trick, of splicing a variable capacitor into one side and making the co-phased array into a variable sweep array. [So you could 'point' the beam in a certain direction by tuning the capacitor's dial.] I don't know enough about advanced radio theory to do it myself. I'm looking for an old-timer who still remembers that trick.

'68OrangeSunshine 01-14-2018 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironangel (Post 8160541)
That's a big 10-4 Orange Sunshine! Did you see that Ochre Chevy Chain Gangs got?...Dudes runnin an 8-track in there! How cool is that, come on? ;)

Ten-Roger, Ironangel. What I most liked about ChainGang's rig was his never-ending chain of beer can poptop tabs, You just can't get those anymore.
I prefer Cassettes to 8-tracks for ''audiophile'' reasons, but the historical significance of that artifact is not lost on me.
Over

ChainGang 01-15-2018 01:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A few of us had curtains in the back window before tinted windows.

Don Quixote 01-15-2018 08:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When I came off the road in 2009 to rejoin the army, I didn't know what to do with my early 90s Cobra 29 so I threw it in the little truck with a couple Francis Sticks. That old radio works well enough and it's peaked and tweaked but it's been many years since I've known for sure what channel I'm on but hey, I got echo and talkback.

CastIron 01-18-2018 01:23 AM

I'm still deciding what antenna to get for mine. I think a stainless whip would look better than fiberglass, but I don't know where I'd mount it yet. I'd prefer to not drill anywhere that would be visible if I took the mount back off. Any ideas? Let's see some antenna mounts!

70cst 01-18-2018 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CastIron (Post 8163953)
I'm still deciding what antenna to get for mine. I think a stainless whip would look better than fiberglass, but I don't know where I'd mount it yet. I'd prefer to not drill anywhere that would be visible if I took the mount back off. Any ideas? Let's see some antenna mounts!

I will be going with a mirror mount ...

Also have some old NOS Hump/Tunnel mounts for CB's. I will be using that for my radio and amp.

'68OrangeSunshine 01-18-2018 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CastIron (Post 8163953)

Bumper mount. Big M3AD spring.

Hubscrub 01-19-2018 03:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I was cleaning out the closest since the I got kicked out of the 3rd bedroom our 7 month old is moving more in lol. But I found this cb I bought it at the flea market with a couple others (there somewhere this the niceest) for $5 each. Decided to test fit it in my 71, tested it, and it works! Manufactured Sep. 75, might need to look for a vintage looking antenna if I use it.