The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   My new 71 shorty bed (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=220419)

2bits 12-23-2006 02:26 AM

My new 71 shorty bed

I saw this truck by accident and everyone told me not to buy it, and when I went to see it I thought it was cool as hell but had my doubts too, especially since there was no carb and the interior was shot too, but for a grand I was willing to think about it. I ended up bringing up my own carb to the lot and worked for two hours trying to get it run, finally when we replaced the spark plugs (with nasty old rusty ones from a blown engine sitting out back) it started right up! I knocked him down $100 and he threw in a free $150 tow to my house an hour away. So I just tuned it up and changed the oil and it runs great now, I took it for it's first drive to get the exhaust finished out this morning and I found out the rear end is tight as hell. It that has been changed from coil to leaf spring and moved up a foot, the bed is cut short also which looks cool, but I am bouncing around like a fool, and I can't deal with it because honestly, I am going to get spine damage. I am thinking the shocks are the wrong angle or rusted and siezed because they don't move and I am going to disconnect them Sunday. I hope it will send me in a direction, otherwise, I am going to assume the idea is conceptual and I will be looking for ideas on what to do as far as redesigning the way the rear end is set up from scratch. From the cab forward, the truck is great, no rust and the drivetrain is solid. I am going to gut the interior, paint the inner cab black, and reinstall a new seat, dash and carpet Sunday as well. I like the way the truck looks... I hope that even if the last guy rigged it wrong, and I can rig it right and make it good.

http://www.grossepointegothic.com/71stepside/

Tommy

poorboy 12-23-2006 02:34 AM

Re: My new 71 shorty bed

Looks like the shocks might be bottomed out.

69-350 12-23-2006 02:43 AM

neat, but is it just me, or does that look just goofy for some reason(s)? what exactly did they do with the bed, there? I've seen some retarded things in my life, and this doesn't even come close to some, though, so it ain't that bad.

Brad 12-23-2006 05:45 AM

The bed is interesting. It doesn't look bad to me and it'll look a whole lot better once it's completed.

You're feeling bad vibrations because you have no rear springs!! Any idea why they're not there?

Okay, upon closer inspection I see what's going on. They moved the rear axle forward and took out the springs entirely! They fabbed up the shocks to take the place of springs which can't be done. However, assuming the welds are good and solid and the geometry is ok, you might consider coilover shocks which might solve your issues. My recommendation is to get someone qualified to look over your confabulation because right now it looks rather dangerous.

72armyswbtruck 12-23-2006 06:04 AM

Wow, that is one interesting looking truck, definately not ever seen one shortened like that before.
Good buy with the front clip and as lon as the rockers and cab aren't shot.

see ten 12-23-2006 08:06 AM

Nope he has springs! I thought he didn't as well but in one of the other shots you can see the leafs on the outside of the frame rails. You can also see the trailing arm crossmember still in place. It's a curious little combination, almost looks like someone put a truck on a 2wd Blazer frame. Either way if the cab is truly rust free you stole it for a grand. If it's a Blazer frame I think I would sell the cab and slap a Blazer tub on there! Good luck and welcome to the board!

Sweet72 12-23-2006 09:34 AM

Looks like there isn't much suspension travel, kind of hard to tell with the angle the pics were taken at. I'd swear maybe 3-4" max! The frame rails are either pounded out from contact with the axle tube or they've been modified. With some work you will have a nice little pickup. What you've done so far on the engine looks good...

Yukon Jack 12-23-2006 09:49 AM

Any idea what the leaf springs might be from? Doesn't look like they could let the frame move much before you get metal to metal contact. Good luck with the truck and welcome to the board!

Rokcrln 12-23-2006 10:30 AM

Is the axel centered in the springs or did they just move the axel forward as well and it is now not centered? This will cause a terible ride and is not safe if the axel is not locked on teh centering pin. Also how about a pic that is dead on from the side so we can see just how short this truck is!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Dano69c10 12-23-2006 10:48 AM

I like it! Good deal! Just fix that rear suspension before something not so good happens, it's dangerous. If you need parts check out the board, someone can get you hooked up with the right parts.
Dano
Safety First!

QKENUF4U 12-23-2006 10:54 AM

hell i would have bought it just for the good sheet metal.

msgross 12-23-2006 11:05 AM

looks like the fabbed (used loosely) shock mounts are bending up. That would indicate that they are bottoming out and pounding the crap out of that axle. I would ditch the bed, have a 4 link welded in and find another short bed and put it looking stock. Can't beat the price if it's running but it doesn't look safe to me.

whatnow123 12-23-2006 01:39 PM

Hum.. anyone else notice two different engines pics?

msgross 12-23-2006 02:10 PM

looks like the first was at the lot and second was after he got it home and dressed her up a little...

PanelDeland 12-23-2006 06:45 PM

I think the right fix was mentioned.Either cut it off behind the cab and do a coil over with 4 link and use that bed or go to another short bed.

poorboy 12-23-2006 06:54 PM

If you look close only the front of the engine was repainted. It's still blue by the headers. Don't get us wrong 2bits you have the start of a nice project on your hands.

AesC10s 12-23-2006 07:13 PM

Looks like the cab or the bed is not on strait. look at the back of the cab and front panel on the bed.

poorboy 12-23-2006 07:25 PM

I like the old school tach.

RMATTZZ4 12-24-2006 02:01 AM

Looks like a standard shortbed frame which has been wrecked. Looking at the pics the frame rails bend inward right where the coil spings should mount. The p.o. prolly didn't have the money to fix it right so converting to leafs and moving the rear suspension up to where the frame was still straight was his fix. Stiill I would have given a grand for it just for the cab and front clip.

corn 12-24-2006 02:57 AM

move the shocks up to the studs that are further ahead. they look bottomed where they are & the studs look very weak the way they were installed...

va_tlc 12-24-2006 04:16 AM

looks cool. and you didnt have to add on to the garage. id have bought that for the unqies of it

7387chevys 12-28-2006 11:19 PM

Looks lie truck body on blazer fram with si\ome tuning and getting the suspension issue took care of it should handle like a dream
nice lil truck
Shane

72lb4x4 12-28-2006 11:34 PM

I saw a 69 shortbed frame on the Dallas Craigslist a few days ago if you want to go that route. The lowering work looks a bit iffy on that 71... Here's a link.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/pts/254023329.html

LockDoc 12-28-2006 11:49 PM

-
I wouldn't think the shocks would work at all laying back at that much angle.....:confused:

LockDoc

68shortfleet 12-29-2006 12:43 AM

I think that you have a longbed coilspring frame with a short-short bed. Looking at the pics, the crossmember that is near the rear differential should be in front of the rear differential(still has the OE shock mounts hanging down). Also look at the distance from the axle to the OE trailing arm mounting holes(can we get a measurement). Looks like a longbed frame that did not get shortened properly in the center under the cab. Instead they moved the axle forward(loosing suspension travel due to frame height) and just cut the very back of the frame off.

Anybody else see this??

Jason