The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Truck Audio (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   subwoofer boxes (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=397551)

staggerd86c-10 04-14-2010 11:27 PM

subwoofer boxes

I was wondering what alot of you guys have used behind the seats for subs, i have 2 of the kicker cvt 12" that i want to have a box made but i really dont want to move my seat at all. have you guys been able to put subs behind your seats without moving the seat not even a notch forward?

spinem 04-16-2010 03:35 AM

Re: subwoofer boxes

hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

no way in hell.

I have a mini cab box in mine. And im still in the steering wheel. I have 2 insignia 12/s (waaaaaay less than wat u have) and magnets have about 1/2 in before touching wood. the box cant get ne smaller..

you may consider a council set up or under seat set up like the 67-72 guys

Anadrol 04-16-2010 09:30 AM

This CAN be done. If you can fit an Amp back there, then you can fit one of the newer slim mount subs back there. It all depends on how your box is built. It really needs to be a custom box.
I've got a Kenwood 10" in a slim box (the slimmest box you'll get from a factory) and my seat is all the way back. You have to really smash the seat into the box, and the back vinyl of your bench will show the print where you mushed it into the sub box, but you CAN slide the seat all the way back.

I would recommend getting a JL Audio 13.5" TW Sub. They offer the best combination of slim but still powerful ratio that i have come across thus far. Have someone build you a box that is so slim that the front flange of the sub sticks out farther than the box, and I'm sure it will fit.

Amazon.com: JL Audio 13TW5-3 Shallow Mount 13.5... Amazon.com: JL Audio 13TW5-3 Shallow Mount 13.5...
If you want to discuss further, I can have a box built for you. It would be based on my '78 K-10 and your Sub, so I can get it built and send it to you so that you just need to mount the sub, but it will certainly fit back there with no seat movement. It does NOT have to be the sub in the link. I was just offering that as a suggestion.

pig rig 04-16-2010 07:40 PM

contrary to most yes it can be done I dont have pictures of said truck because when I did it their was no world wide web to show off what you had done but I just did the same idea in a toyota pick up with 2 12" subs

I forgot to subtract a couple of my messurements but in the end the seats are right where I like them other then they cant recline as far as id like but I'm getting used to it

heres the link

http://www.toyotaminis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5312

87chevy.com 04-16-2010 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinem (Post 3923121)
hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

no way in hell.

I have a mini cab box in mine. And im still in the steering wheel.

you can always mod the column... I mod'd my column and its one of those transparent mods... you could stare at it all day and not notice it but if someone said look at this, this is what i did... you would be like dam.. required tools, welder, cut off wheel and a second steering column bracket. other than that its one of those "free mods"
Im 6'6 and I can stretch my arm strait out and steer the truck vs before my arm would be bent... I gained about 2 - 3 inches.

3r!c84 04-16-2010 10:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
two tens...and still have some room for some 12s if need be

piecesparts 04-16-2010 11:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I kind of did it in a different fashion. I took two 8" Bazooka tubes and set them to fire into each other. I then made a cap for the top and made it so that they are ported under the seat to provide the bass effect from under the seat. I seems to work well and I still can get my seat back almost back to the rear wall of the standard cab.

staggerd86c-10 04-17-2010 01:08 AM

Can I get some measurements and angles to help me layout my box it will take out a lot of guess work. Thanks for all the replys and pictures.

spinem 04-17-2010 03:20 AM

no matter what you do you WILL HAVE to move the seat forward.
shallow mounts are eaaahh. alright.. theres a reason why all speakers are the size that they are, shallow mounts WILL sacrafice sound.

collapsing the steering shaft will give you more room yes, but at what point do you draw the line?

get some thin back seats and you will not have to make your own box.
if you dont know what your doing, and attempt to make your own box, it will sound like poop.

to all those who apposed my first answer, re-read. i answered correctly. WITHOUT hacking, modding and going out of your way, stock will be a cramped fit. sure it can be done to fit all comfy and roomie, its all a matter of time and $$.

staggerd86c-10 04-17-2010 03:24 AM

I already have the subs. They are kicker cvt 12" which are their shallow mounts I really think this isn't too impossible to do. I know that the shallow mounts don't give you the same amout of boom but they do offer some which is all I need.

Eighty-6 04-17-2010 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staggerd86c-10 (Post 3920924)
I was wondering what alot of you guys have used behind the seats for subs, i have 2 of the kicker cvt 12" that i want to have a box made but i really dont want to move my seat at all. have you guys been able to put subs behind your seats without moving the seat not even a notch forward?

Take a look at this thread, it gives some measurements for a box that should work or you.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=368099

3r!c84 04-17-2010 10:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
my seat is all the way back.

54Caddy 04-17-2010 11:03 AM

my box barely sticks out my seat is moved up a click or two my demensions of my box are 54 long by 15 high by 3.5 top width and 7 bottom width. will get you a picture here in a bit i have 2 12 inch kenwood shallow mounts and they hit hard as all hell

qu1cks1lver56 04-17-2010 05:15 PM

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1271476137
More pictures of those door panels please.
And where'd you get the 3 piece slider?

pcmcobra 04-17-2010 07:13 PM

you can do it. I have a shallow mount 12 and 2 kicker amps in a box behind seat, and seat all the way back.

piecesparts 04-17-2010 10:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The 3-piece slider is an electric one from CR Laurence glass. It works great and it is far better than the four piece windows.

I hand built the door speaker pods. The bottoms are 8" speakers and the top ones are 6" component speakers with 2" tweets. At no point does the speakers extend into the doors and there are openings to allow for the door to become part of the speaker enclosure. I have had these installed for quite a few years and they are standing up real well.

staggerd86c-10 04-18-2010 12:15 AM

Eric according to your demensions how is your seat all the way back? 54caddy had to move his seat forward and his box is narrower at the bottom. Do any of you guys have pics? I plan on extending the box all the way to the edges of the cab and eliminating the factory rear speaker mounts and put them facing towards the front of the cab right behind the seatbelts.

54Caddy 04-18-2010 01:31 AM

my box is longer because i made some different boxes to hold 6x9s in there instead of factory 4x10s. I will have pictures as soon as i finsih covering the 6x9 boxes for sure man.

3r!c84 04-18-2010 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staggerd86c-10 (Post 3926033)
Eric according to your demensions how is your seat all the way back? 54caddy had to move his seat forward and his box is narrower at the bottom. Do any of you guys have pics? I plan on extending the box all the way to the edges of the cab and eliminating the factory rear speaker mounts and put them facing towards the front of the cab right behind the seatbelts.

my seats all the way back (im 6,1 i need all the room i can get) and the box is not rubing on the seat at all.

staggerd86c-10 04-18-2010 06:17 AM

Cool guys thanks, I'm going to get this done probably next week. But I would love to see what you guys are doing with your ideas. I wish there was more focus on audio, we all love our tunes no matter what music it is its gotta be loud!

3r!c84 04-18-2010 11:30 AM

i needa take mine a part and seal it up..it leaks all over :P

qu1cks1lver56 04-19-2010 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piecesparts (Post 3925865)
The 3-piece slider is an electric one from CR Laurence glass. It works great and it is far better than the four piece windows.

I hand built the door speaker pods. The bottoms are 8" speakers and the top ones are 6" component speakers with 2" tweets. At no point does the speakers extend into the doors and there are openings to allow for the door to become part of the speaker enclosure. I have had these installed for quite a few years and they are standing up real well.

nice they look good man.
you remember how much the electric slider was? I really want one.

Scootin 81 C20 04-19-2010 10:50 PM

I'm running 2 Pioneer 12's in mine in truck boxes. I did increase the room for the seat by taking the cardboard from the back wall and sitting the subs in there. I have a good 4 inches between me and the steering wheel.

Before cardboard removal:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...n/S6300243.jpg

After cardboard removal:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...n/S6300349.jpg

staggerd86c-10 04-25-2010 01:06 PM

any pics yet guys? my friend is going to help me take care of this next weekend

AceX 04-25-2010 05:56 PM

It's easy to do and you won't sacrifice sound regardless of what some people have said. A solid box with the right air space will sound just fine. I would mount the amp under the seat and use as much space behind the seat as I could for air space.