The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Grab handle suggestions for inside cab, lifted truck (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=377580)

AirSpeed 12-23-2009 01:20 AM

Grab handle suggestions for inside cab, lifted truck

I bought a lifted 72 GMC 4X4 recently and I need to put a handle inside the cab somewhere so I can get in easier (I have a REALLY bad back) I was thinking of putting one on the inside of the windshield post or inside above the door. I dont want it to look too Redneck (no offence to any rednecks implied) Have any of you done this or seen it done? Pictures? Thanks!

special-K 12-23-2009 08:24 AM

Re: Grab handle suggestions for inside cab, lifted truck

Don`t worry,you can be a closet redneck.No one will see a handle inside.Besides,you already made the redneck list when you bought a lifted truck :lol:.I`d suggest the a-pillar (windshield post).That will pull your weight forward as you rise and your butt will be over the seat when it`s high enough to be put in the truck.I see people pulling themselves up (and experienced it myself) with handles above the opening and it`s like you want to fall backwards towards the bed.It`s hard to pull yourself forward with your grip directly above your head.

AirSpeed 12-23-2009 09:12 AM

"Besides,you already made the redneck list when you bought a lifted truck"
Thanks a lot! I already felt self conscious driving it, now I can never drive it again!
I got a great deal on the truck and was going to drop it back down when the guy I bought it from found the original front springs. It rides so nice I decided to leave it alone. It's only 4 inches and it sits at the same height as my 87 Blazer so I didnt feel THAT redneck! (see how I am desperately trying to justify leaving it lifted)
Thanks for the suggestion, I think you're right about the pillar.
Got a plug of Copenhagen?

71blksuper4x4 12-23-2009 11:45 AM

You might be able to find a grab handle from the 88-98 body style trucks. They were pretty heavy duty and padded. They would probably look more factory then most options. I believe they are attached in the same location as where you are wanting to put yours. Trevor

special-K 12-23-2009 09:22 PM

Hey Red,listen to Trevor.He`s a gentleman redneck.:lol:

I was going to say how GM went from overhead,like my`90 Blazer had to the A-pillar in 88-98.Then I remembered my`92 K3500 has overhead.I guess when they changed the grilles and interiors in`95(?) they did go to the A-pillar.That`s what the`95 had that I used to own.I figure a change like that on an existing body style was done as an improvement,prolly from surveys/feedback from owners.

OrrieG 12-25-2009 03:53 PM

I have been looking for some for my 59. I have seen some nice units that lay flat but flip out when used on ebay. I am getting them because grabbing the tilt column and hoisting yourself in is one of the primary reasons they fail. And as Allan says "it's alright to be a Redneck", I'm a converted Oregon hippie myself...

special-K 12-25-2009 06:35 PM

Me too.Just not from Oregon.But it was the old Chevy`s running around Humboldt County (like yours,matter of fact) that helped contribute to the transition.:cool:

Slick17 12-28-2009 11:30 AM

I need some to for the girl. I'll look for some this coming weekend in the grave yard.

Davetopay 12-28-2009 09:14 PM

Along the same lines, I was thinking about using a small class I receiver to fab up a removable step where the step inserts into the hitch and is held in place with a pull pin so you can remove it for clearance off road.

As for a handle, I seem to remember there being a handle kit that mounts to the exterior on the B pillar.

Slick17 12-29-2009 11:04 AM

yeah, there is one that mounts to the outside. I just saw one with it on this past weekend. Don't know about drilling holes to the outside of the truck though. Hope you find something AirSpeed