The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   My '67 Fleetside C10 renew (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=471776)

Bomp 10-10-2012 09:46 PM

Re: My '67 Fleetside C10 renew

And Waiting......

Can't get to the shop til Saturday. Swapmeet is a no go for me.

jlsanborn 10-10-2012 11:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Kay, just a few things then the pictures!!!!

We now have a hubcap model looking for a job. Anyone hiring? He'll paint his fingernails if needed. He's hard up. That blue $hit they spray on the white letters ain't like it used to be! I scrubbed with hot, soapy water and a brush for EVER and it would NOT come off. I ended up using that kick-a$$ degreaser on a scotch-brite to get the crap off. It's still on the sidewalls. The big-boys didn't even have that crap on them. I also noticed that the "finish" on the letters wasn't as good. They must be making the 295s offshore these days :(
Got another load dropped off today from GMC Pauls. KILLER STUFF!!! :metal: GM certified restoration emblems, their polished stainless threshold plates, killer repro mirror, Precision cab rubber, full dome light kit and some other stuff. Still waiting on my polished stainless outside mirrors, headlight bezels and grille trim. Still have to order my rear cab moulding / paint divider. The truck looks BAD A$$ and the parts I just got are BAD A$$. It's going to look exactly what I wanted it to. 60's muscle!!:metal: I'm sooooo stoked to paint this thing and build a nasty little THEE-TWO-SEVEN to bolt that Muncie onto!!!! Historical day today at the house!! It's a roller!

PS. I hadn't gotten around to painting and installing the new tie rods. That sucker was NOT going to just roll out of the shop for photos that way so I had to finger-tight the old greasy $hit on there to get it out. Just pushing it forward ten feet was like SQUEEEEEEEEEEECH! We'll need an alignment :lol:

:chevy::chevy::chevy::chevy::chevy::chevy::chevy::chevy::chevy::chevy:

y5mgisi 10-10-2012 11:58 PM

Damn thats a clean chassis!

67chevy1series 10-11-2012 01:05 AM

the rims tires caps and stance is just beautiful!

XxCHEVYMANxX 10-11-2012 08:34 AM

Wheels look AWESOME ! Love the deep dish rear wheels, and more parts ! :chevy::chevy::chevy::chevy::chevy::chevy:

Low Elco 10-11-2012 08:41 AM

Yaaay, a roller! Wheels look cool!
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 10-11-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y5mgisi (Post 5640798)
Damn thats a clean chassis!

Thanks man! Not as clean as it looks in the pictures though. If I were to do it all over I would have pulled the cab and blasted everything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67chevy1series (Post 5640923)
the rims tires caps and stance is just beautiful!

Thanks! Bummer about your truck dude :( Have you tried the football thing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxCHEVYMANxX (Post 5641159)
Wheels look AWESOME ! Love the deep dish rear wheels, and more parts ! :chevy::chevy::chevy::chevy::chevy::chevy:

Thanks John! Very pleased with the GMC Pauls stuff. We measured sidewall to sidewall and that is just a butt-cheeze narrower than the bedsides lip to lip. I thing the backspacing is going to be perfect!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 5641167)
Yaaay, a roller! Wheels look cool!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Elco!

FrankieD 10-11-2012 12:23 PM

She be lookin purty nice

jlsanborn 10-11-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankieD (Post 5641508)
She be lookin purty nice

Thanks Frankie! Any progress on your truck?

jlsanborn 10-11-2012 01:44 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Few more shots....

jlsanborn 10-11-2012 01:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last one was a dupe, posed to be this one!

XxCHEVYMANxX 10-11-2012 01:47 PM

Lookin good Johnny ! wish mine was the small window.

FrankieD 10-11-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 5641527)
Thanks Frankie! Any progress on your truck?

No nothing yet I am getting ready for the snow and time is short. I pulled my plow a part yesterday to clean and paint when I get done with that then I think I can get something done unless I decide to replace windows. Oh well I might be like they say about the Cubs, there is always next year. XxCHEVYMANxX will probably get a few more weeks of warm weather than I will he is a little further south but the cold can hit us anytime now

67cheby 10-11-2012 02:42 PM

yep, dig those fat ones on the back

jlsanborn 10-11-2012 03:19 PM

Thanks guys! I always wished I had the '67 big window like Cheby, but it's also cool having another one-year feature. It's grown on me!

Picked up the last bit of black paint to finish the small parts and got another bit of education from the paint guy. He's recommending their Cross-Fire base coat at $120/gallon and the Finish One clear for $76/5qts sprayable. Their Tech-Base is $340 but he says it's designed more for perfect color matching and that I don't need that high-tech business if I'm doing the whole thing. Whatchya think? Any experience with these products??? The price sure sounds better! Like half what I had budgeted for paint.

FrankieD 10-11-2012 03:56 PM

They have a good product but pricey I would shop around a little or see what the body shops are using they might be able to hook you up with a supplier..

XxCHEVYMANxX 10-11-2012 06:49 PM

Hey Johnny, I would give the crossfire line a try, for the money that aint bad. figure if something went horribly wrong (I dont think it will ) then at least you didnt break the bank. Is the mix ratio on the base coat 1:1 ? most of a paint job is in the prep work anyway, and with bc/cc I'm sure you can get it smooth as glass !

Bomp 10-11-2012 10:30 PM

Lookin' Grrreat! Its sweet how everything starts falling together after all that hard work. By my math 16 months. Thats killin it! Hope my '66 starts comming together soon. Im still cleaning.......and it sucks:devil:

jlsanborn 10-12-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankieD (Post 5641868)
They have a good product but pricey I would shop around a little or see what the body shops are using they might be able to hook you up with a supplier..

There's a PPG distributor and just yesterday I spotted a Sherwin Williams distributor right on my way home. I'll swing in those places too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxCHEVYMANxX (Post 5642106)
Hey Johnny, I would give the crossfire line a try, for the money that aint bad. figure if something went horribly wrong (I dont think it will ) then at least you didnt break the bank. Is the mix ratio on the base coat 1:1 ? most of a paint job is in the prep work anyway, and with bc/cc I'm sure you can get it smooth as glass !

Looks like the mix formula is 5:1:1. They call it their "economical fleet paint".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 5642530)
Lookin' Grrreat! Its sweet how everything starts falling together after all that hard work. By my math 16 months. Thats killin it! Hope my '66 starts comming together soon. Im still cleaning.......and it sucks:devil:

Thanks Bomp! Seems like forever and if I knew then what I know now....:waah: And the cleaning!!! Everytime I think I'm done with that I pull out a box of YUCKY parts. I did my best to keep everything separated and organized, but I just know when it comes time to put something together I'll be scrambling to find, clean and paint screws!

jlsanborn 10-12-2012 11:02 AM

Not much to report today. Last night I got the shop half a$$ cleaned up AGAIN. It amazes me how I can destroy that place in five minutes, yet it takes me an hour to wind up cords and hoses, put tools away, pick up the trash and sweep! Big Brown came by again! :metal: Got my grille moulding, dash pad, exterior mirrors and firewall insulation. Also got my standard steering columm that I scored on the site classifieds. That got a little ding in it from shipping, but I gotta paint that anyway. Still waiting on my headlight bezels, cab paint divider moulding, gas pedal, vent window repair kit and rear sway bar. I'm accumulating pretty parts and am struggling with where to store all this stuff where it won't get thrashed. The goal for this weekend would be to finish up the black parts and get epoxy on the cab and a few other things. Once that sets up its seam sealer time. May have questions on that topic!

67chevy1series 10-12-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 5641348)
Thanks! Bummer about your truck dude :( Have you tried the football thing?

yeah i did it looks alot better but it still isnt like it was.... :(

jlsanborn 10-13-2012 02:02 AM

Nothing today! Had to run around after work. Boy scored a free scooter from the neighbor. One of them Chinese gas powered jobs with a burnt motor. I just happened to have an old Toro 2-stroke snow tosser motor. Prolly 50cc or better. Helped him and the cousin fab some mounts for that death trap. Tomorrow should be interesting. If I'm not stuck in the emergency room my goal is to get epoxy on the cab.

butternut1972 10-13-2012 11:14 AM

Wheel and Tire combo looks great man! I got a soft spot for steelies and caps. I'm with ya' on the 60's look...my favorite look as well! that is what I was thinking when I started my truck, like something you would have seen at the dragstrip pushing a top fueler back in the day.

jlsanborn 10-13-2012 11:26 AM

Appreciate that! The result is even better than I thought it'd be. I just hope them 26" tires don't look too small in the openings. I like them frame layers on big wheels too but I wanted the more "classic" look. I followed up on Sucker Punch and wound up over at your pal's thread. Holy smokes man! That's some really cool fab work he's done. I left a mark but the thread is cold. What do you know about that?

jlsanborn 10-13-2012 03:32 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Little update here and some info for XxCHEVEYMANxX

This thread.... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=351471 has some good info on vent window restoration but I think those earlier ones are a bit different than 67-72. There's a reason the repair kit comes with all those rivets.

BEFORE you drill them four rivets out for the vertical strip whack the two at the top that secure the wrap-around channel. This will allow you to move the frame off to the side and get a straight shot with your drill. They need to come out anyways because the wrap-around rubber is captive by that frame (hole in the end!). Also, four more rivets and all the painted parts come off so no masking required. I started to peel that stainless striker plate off, but stopped. There's some adhesive under there and mine were stuck good. I figured I might hose them up and it'd be worth masking that little part. Gonna sand them down and get to painting!