The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   My '67 Fleetside C10 renew (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=471776)

Bomp 11-16-2012 10:48 PM

Re: My '67 Fleetside C10 renew

Oh Man!!!!!, Windows are totally brutal.
I have a giant scar on the inside of my right wrist from a glass breaking window incident. Doc said I almost lost the use of my right hand if it had cut any deeper.
Hope everything goes well for your boy at the surgeon. Next time use a Big Giant F'n Stick to break the window!

Learning tons from your painting extravaganza. Cant wait to see color laid out.:metal:

Low Elco 11-17-2012 12:57 AM

Ok.....HOLEEEEEEE HELL! that's gotta sting! Exactly where is that? Was he going for some sort of award? If you want you can fly me out there, I'll show him the credit card and wire trick, this wont happen again! I did yella in 2 gallons base, 3 clear, I think. I'd do a 1/2 gal rts for the roof, and 3gal rts for the main, cuz you still have your interior to do. I'd get A case of clear. You can always take unopened back. Hope the Boy is ok. Tell him my motto: Pain is temporary, chicks dig scars, glory is forever! Also, he's gotta work on a good bs line for this for school! Ps- what do you do for a living? It's been killing me!
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 11-17-2012 11:04 AM

The big hole is on the outside of his right wrist. Minimal blood loss thank God and they got him stitched up tight. He thinks he's ok but we'll see what the doc has to say on Monday. I think cat-burglary is off the career list for him.

I've gotta round up all the scheckles I've got and see where I stand when it comes to paint. I should be close. I'll need more surfacer and ticky-tack stuff to finish the rest of these panels too. I wanna get the cab painted so I can get it out of there and covered. That'll give me the room to spray all the other stuff.

For work.. I'm an automation engineer. My education is in industrial hydraulics but for the last 15 years I've done mostly control systems (PLC / SCADA programming). Spent the bulk of that time working for a sawmill equipment manufacturer but I was traveled to death all over the world. Where I work now the travel is minimal and I work on all kinds of different equipment and processes (water treatement, mining, cement mixing, packaging.... you name it). My next project however is back into a sawmill!! Planer mill actually. It was built in 1977 and the controls are mostly manual and in bad shape. Most panels you open look like bird nests. I'm designing an new central control panel and a couple operator's panels with touch screens. I'll write software to automate the whole thing then head down there to do a change over to the new.

Here's a link to some videos of the sawmill equipment I built.... The plywood stacker was the last one I did.

http://mocoeng.com/gallery-videos.php

jlsanborn 11-17-2012 11:19 AM

Here's a link to another goofy machine I did. It's a mobile cell phone tower. I designed the hydraulic system and the electrical controls for that.

Low Elco 11-17-2012 11:20 AM

Cool! I used to do R&D work for 2 alum concrete form companies, where everything was custom to our application. So, if I Made a new product, I had to figure out how to make 50k of them, and then design and build the tooling/fixtures/machinery to do it. Electric/pneumatic stuff was always fun, especially updating older stuff, kinda like building a hot rod! Really miss doing that kinda work. Now I rebuild/calibrate/certify precision gauges for the production line in an ammo plant. Easy work, but I miss being stuffed indeed a 120 ton press upside down building discharge chutes. Weird, huh?
Glad the Boy's ok, hope the doc says its just skin on Mon. Good luck to him!
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 11-17-2012 02:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 5707270)
Cool! I used to do R&D work for 2 alum concrete form companies, where everything was custom to our application. So, if I Made a new product, I had to figure out how to make 50k of them, and then design and build the tooling/fixtures/machinery to do it. Electric/pneumatic stuff was always fun, especially updating older stuff, kinda like building a hot rod! Really miss doing that kinda work. Now I rebuild/calibrate/certify precision gauges for the production line in an ammo plant. Easy work, but I miss being stuffed indeed a 120 ton press upside down building discharge chutes. Weird, huh?
Glad the Boy's ok, hope the doc says its just skin on Mon. Good luck to him!
Posted via Mobile Device

Know what you're sayin. Building equipemnt was the most satisfying job for me. I got to do a little of everything and it was real creative. We'd build some crazy machine, go start it up some damn place and come home with ideas to make the next one better. There were applications for machines that didn't exist so we got to invent stuff too. Problem was that these mills were never here in town! I was constantly on the road and a lot of the time overseas. Where I work now is pure electrical. We build panels but that's it as far as shop goes. I do get my mitts into machines tho and have done some hydraulic design, just nothing as cool as it used to be. Love being home tho!
Here's a hydrualic power unit I built back in about '98. I bet I built 50 similar to this.

jlsanborn 11-18-2012 11:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Pulled the bandage off today for a look. It's creepy but looks good. No infection, minimal bleeding, all the digits are working so I think he's gonna make it. Thanks for the thumbs up from everyone!

Weekend was good but spent a bunch of time on regular vehichle maintainence and Christmas lights on the house (my favorite thing in the WORLD to do). I did manage to get the cab wetsanded and it looks awesome! I"m soooo glad I've taken a little more time than I had planned to detail the finish. It's going to look slick!

I've also decided that I'm going to wait until I've got the doors done before I spray the cab. I wanna hangem back on just to double check that they fit perfect first.

A couple pics that look exactly like the last I've posted, just know that up close in person it's smooth man! Also another cool shot of the old school 15's!!

Question.....
I'm for sure gonna pull her outside for a good rinse after the wetsand. Think it'd be cool to use a little detergent and the scotchbrite if I rinsed really good??

XxCHEVYMANxX 11-18-2012 11:47 PM

Looks good Man! glad to hear your boy is doing ok. Double check fitment, check. good idea ! I wouldnt use any detergent, theres really nothing to clean. I'd just use alot of water and a sponge. :smoke:

Low Elco 11-18-2012 11:57 PM

Can't hurt to wash. We used to wash down after Wetsand with a product called Ting. Glad you feel good about it! Good idea on the refit. Can't spend enough time on it.
Glad to hear the Boy seems ok.
Posted via Mobile Device

FrankieD 11-19-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 5706685)
On a side note.......

The Boy is a TARD! I locked one shop key inside and took off to work with the other on my set. Boy needed inside to get his S10 wheels to take to school so he could peel the baldies off. I get a text "you locked me outta the shop". Next text reads "hospital". He tried to jack a window to get inside and had a little "accident". Not sure how many stitches but he goes to see a f**kin surgeon on Monday to see if he lost any tendons or nerves.

That is nasty! Hope every thing is good now. My youngest is 22 and his brain is startin to work pretty good but still kind of retarded sometimes. Saturday he wanted to see what he can get for his 05 GTI so he showes up with a 07 F350 dulley extended cab with a 6.0 for a daily driver I told hem he was nuts and take it back. Sunday he realized I was right and decided to fix the VW.
Kids will drive ya to drink!

Bomp 11-19-2012 11:30 PM

That is Slammin' Slick Man. Don't know if you have them but get some Gigantic plastic bags or something to cover those shoes. Nothin like a fresh paint job and wheels with overspray.
LQQking Nice!

VA72C10 11-19-2012 11:45 PM

Looking great! Glad to hear your boy is doing okay.

68 TT 11-20-2012 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 5710079)
Pulled the bandage off today for a look. It's creepy but looks good. No infection, minimal bleeding, all the digits are working so I think he's gonna make it.

Glad it looks like he is going to do OK after that cut. Pretty lucky.

Truck is looking great. Keep it up.

Low Elco 11-20-2012 09:08 AM

Bomp beat me to it, I was gonna suggest earlier to find a set of old crusty rims before the big paint-ola. Body's lookin good! I'd also find/buy a set of door bumpers and install them before messin' with the doors. Keeps you from dinging up the primer and they pop back out. You've re-bushed your hinges, right? Looks good, keep it up!

68 TT 11-20-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 5712453)
Bomp beat me to it, I was gonna suggest earlier to find a set of old crusty rims before the big paint-ola.

I can't remember if you are five or six lug under those hub caps but if you are 6-lug I have a set of 15" wheels & tires you can have to use for paint & body work. Let me know.

jlsanborn 11-21-2012 12:02 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Hey thanks everyone!!
I know what you're saying about the overspray. Boy has been giving me the stink-eye every I spray time too. I've got some big pieces of plastic that I use to wrap up both ends of the frame and all the tires. Still, each time I'm done, Boy gotta stick his head in there and make sure I didn't coat them BFGs!

Thanks for the offer 68TT! I'm all five lug now. I have a pair of crustys that I should throw on there, but it'd kill the money shots! I'd still like to meet up one day and talk Chevrolet. I finally got the big dude running half-azzed and it'd be cool to hear what you have to say. I know it could still run even better.

Thanks for the tip on the door bumpers! I'm going to order those and some other small bits that I still need tomorrow. I wish I hadn't tossed my old door seals! I got the new, good-guy stuff from Precision to put on when its done. Never did see feedback over on Cloud 9 if he got his doors to shut easy?? I did notice that in one of the SEMA pics on his thread that the door was cracked open while he was rollin. I re-bushed the lower hinges and bought new ones for the uppers. Both my OG door checks were toast. From what I remember, those doors hung pretty sweet before I took them off. Its just that now I think the cab turned out soooo much sweeter than I was thinking it would, I had better slap them doors back on to make sure they're just as good.

Been slow the last couple days but the No Limit rear sway bar just showed! :metal:
I think I got the first one off the press so there still no photos or instructions available and the steel parts weren't powder coated. I've asked Rob to verify that I've got it laying in there like it should be. If it is, it's captive under the bedwood, so you'd have to lift the bed from the frame to install or remove from a finished truck. I can't see a better way to fit it. I think I'll also get some zinc plated, ASTM all-thread for the connectors as well as zinc, grade 8 nuts and washers. All the HHCS's are zinc, grade 8 :metal:

I should be back on it tomorrow but I'm gonna clean up around here first!

jlsanborn 11-21-2012 12:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Gotta learn how to insert pictures like Bomp does!

butternut1972 11-21-2012 10:48 AM

Trucks lookig great...I had a similiar incident when I was a kid, only the cut was on the inside of my forearm. my dad was PO'd the garage window broke and landed on the hood of his 55', was not a good day for me! Glad to hear he is OK.

Low Elco 11-21-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 5714011)
Gotta learn how to insert like Bomp does!

Y'all NW dudes are freaky! (Geez, I crack myself up.)

That's the mounting plan for the MONSTER swaybar I have for LBT, if I ever get to work on LBT. :waah:

jlsanborn 11-21-2012 02:40 PM

:lol: Again, really!? I've gotta start proof reading my posts better. I'm making it way too easy!

68 TT 11-21-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 5714006)
Thanks for the offer 68TT! I'm all five lug now. I have a pair of crustys that I should throw on there, but it'd kill the money shots! I'd still like to meet up one day and talk Chevrolet. I finally got the big dude running half-azzed and it'd be cool to hear what you have to say. I know it could still run even better.

I'd love to give you a hand for a few hours some time.

I work an odd hour shift. Send me a PM and we can figure out a time where our schedules overlap.

Bomp 11-22-2012 12:27 AM

:eek:

jlsanborn 11-22-2012 01:33 AM

Sorry for tossin you under the bus there! Gotta watch this Elco, he'll light a fire under your ass!
Posted via Mobile Device

gdavis 11-22-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 5714011)
Gotta learn how to insert pictures like Bomp does!

I like the sway bar kit for the rear. I am going to install one on my truck also

jlsanborn 11-23-2012 02:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Got the sway bar installed. I had it upside down in the previous pics. It would have moved up, right into the bed floor the way it was. Got the place cleaned up a bit too. Should get more work done tomorrow.

jlsanborn 11-23-2012 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdavis (Post 5717276)
I like the sway bar kit for the rear. I am going to install one on my truck also

I've been waiting quite a while for this. No Limit finished their prototype a month or two ago and it's taken this long for them to get their hands on the production bars. It's non-adjustable but I've got faith in Rob's judgement in the design and I'm sure it'll be just fine for my purposes. I'm going to run the Monroe Magnum shocks at all four corners. My tires aren't exactly suited for autocross but for a driver I'm hoping it'll handle more like a car than a truck! One day I will report!

jlsanborn 11-23-2012 03:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Fell asleep after chow for a couple hours so now I'm up all night on the forum!

Noticed something I missed. I ordered up a bunch of small bits including the door bumpers. That's when I realized there were only two per side but I've got extra holes in the door jamb. Looked closer and its just the aftermarket rocker I replaced. You can see them in the pic. Dammit! I've got holes to patch. Already cut some patches so I'll get on that tomorrow.

Bomp 11-23-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 5717877)
Fell asleep after chow for a couple hours so now I'm up all night on the forum!

Noticed something I missed. I ordered up a bunch of small bits including the door bumpers. That's when I realized there were only two per side but I've got extra holes in the door jamb. Looked closer and its just the aftermarket rocker I replaced. You can see them in the pic. Dammit! I've got holes to patch. Already cut some patches so I'll get on that tomorrow.

Geeze:banghead:I hate that. Almost done and then back to square on on something missed.:m6:
Got faith in ya brother, You'll get it corrected.
Sounds like your truck will corner on rails when done.

True 67 11-23-2012 11:59 AM

Nothing to do at work today so i went thru your entire build.. awesome and keep up the work..

True

CURSED GEARS 11-23-2012 12:39 PM

I also went through your whole build. Took a couple of hours. Good stuff. Seeing that picture of your boys arm put butterflys in my stomach! I'm anxious to see how your paint turns out. I did my own paint a few years ago for the first time, I could of used all of this advice. I'll be watching, good luck!

jlsanborn 11-24-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CURSED GEARS (Post 5718229)
I also went through your whole build. Took a couple of hours. Good stuff. Seeing that picture of your boys arm put butterflys in my stomach! I'm anxious to see how your paint turns out. I did my own paint a few years ago for the first time, I could of used all of this advice. I'll be watching, good luck!

Thanks for the read! I'm feeling pretty good now about painting it myself but we'll see!!

jlsanborn 11-24-2012 12:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got a bit done yesterday and I'm headed out to light the fire again. I patched them silly holes in the rocker and got a little filler over them. Got the mess cleaned up and got the doors back out. The PO must have tried nine different sets of mirrors on this thing but I've got all them holes filled and both skins are done. I just gotta drill holes for a passenger mirror and weld in some nuts for arm rests then I'll be ready to shootem!

Bomp 11-24-2012 12:43 PM

Sure am glad you mentioned holes. I went out and looked at my replacement floor section (not installed yet thank God) and from the factory,,,,,,,stinkin' holes. Easier to fix off the truck rather than when their on.
Gotta have the boy shoot some vid with the uninjured arm when your blowin paint.

jlsanborn 11-24-2012 12:51 PM

Will do on the movie!
Ya, if I had seen the holes before I hung the rocker I could have simply plug welded them with a copper bar. Instead I ended up making tiny little circle patches, tacked finish nails across their asses so they wouldn't fall in then baby welded them in. What would have taken five minutes is now taking hours.
Posted via Mobile Device

Low Elco 11-24-2012 12:51 PM

Parts look great! Keep it up! Like I said, not so bad once you start Rollin!
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 11-24-2012 11:38 PM

I'm withya on that!

Unfortunately, not much to report today. I did get the passenger door drilled for the mirror and went over both skins with filler again today. Man, that Durablock and 150 bring the filler in sideways! Both doors are WAY better than they were and I thought they were already done! Tried welding nuts inside the inner doors for the armrests. There are bosses and square holes just for them in the door, just none of them square nuts mashed in there. I welded a 1/4"-20 nut into one hole but it took forever to get it right and looks like ass. I have riv-nuts and the tool at work and I think a 1/4"er will fit in there good so Ima wait til Monday.

Gonna try and get it outside for a little wash then tidy up a little in the moring cuz Ma and Pa are coming for chow. I will get something done on the truck too tho!

jlsanborn 11-26-2012 02:22 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Got some work done yesterday before I had to stop and clean-house. There's getting to be a lot $hit in there again!

Found some threaded inserts at the hardware store that worked great for the arm rests. I thought about drilling out the nuts I had welded in the other door but decieded to move ahead. They look like crap but are solid. It's behind the panel anyway. Match drilled the panels and test fit - good to go! Welded up the little holes in the driver's panel and got everything sanded down.

It's MNF with Wifey tonight, but tomorrow I'll be back in the fun-dome shootin epoxy on those, the grille, tailgate and heater box!

Low Elco 11-26-2012 04:16 PM

Yummy gray frosting! If you spray it nice and smooth, you can dust the flat spots with 400, scotchbrite the rest down into the grooves, etc, and good to go! I would suggest shooting final paint on these, glovebox door, that kinda thing in advance (now) to get a feel for the products to come. Easy fix and all that. You're doing great!

jlsanborn 11-26-2012 05:36 PM

That's more great advice! I could probably do the door panels and cowl for testers.

I've assumed I could put the white vinyl tailgate letters down after basecoat and cover in clear??? Sound ok?

Low Elco 11-26-2012 06:20 PM

Ummmmm... put the letters on over the final paint.
1. They're cheap vinyl; they tend to peel up and go chalky if left out in the sun, etc. Easier to replace this way.

2. It'll look cool right off, then they'll either off-gas and pop your clear, or shrink up and jack up your clear. You don't want no part of fixin this.

3. This is just me, but paint the gate and put one coat of clear on. Scotchbrite the clear. cut out the letters of the kit so you have the outlines with the letters. Lay them on, but use the outlines, and peel the letters out and tape up the gaps. Dust whatever color you want in here and clear 2x. Hey, you've committed "custom paint"! And they won't peel up or fade or look crappy! Ad if you screw it up, snad it off the clear and re-base! Who cares!

That's what I'd do, but I'm a shifty feller with questionable morals. Do what you Will!