The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   My '67 Fleetside C10 renew (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=471776)

jlsanborn 09-17-2012 12:07 PM

Re: My '67 Fleetside C10 renew

Put the original ring gear on the new carrier and didn't have to touch the pinion. Did my best to set the lash and preload but certainly am no rearend expert. I can say tho that its much tighter than what we had before. As soon as we got it oiled up we took it down the dirt road. It definately locks!

jlsanborn 09-19-2012 11:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The boy is going to Skill Center taking Automotive Technology. Soon he'll know more than all of us! On Wednesday's he's got two hours between Skill Center and school and just happens to drive right by the bone-yard. "Hmmmm what can I do for two hours?" How bout snag me one of them 1-1/4" front swaybars off a 3/4 ton!? :metal: $9.00

I'm still a week from funds on the VeeWee sale (out of state check). After that you should see this thread stuck on the top! We have a few debates that we'll be throwing on here. Upholstery, paint, motor, etc.... I'm certain that I'm gonna run into lots of things that I haven't even discovered yet and am glad to be here!

The Boy says the swaybar was mounted to the frame of the '80 sumthin burban with some hat brackets on the frame (riveted on). Is there an aftermarket setup for this or can I fab something easy? Needs new bushings too.

Low Elco 09-20-2012 06:44 AM

Cool! I have the same thing for LBT. Tell him to go back and get the hat thingies that hold the rubber. You'll need em. If you're going WAY down, screw the hats to the framerail. If you're going a little down, get shortened frame mounts from CPP. Or make some, they ain't rocket science. There should be holes in the a arms for the hat thingies.
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 09-20-2012 11:09 AM

Thanks Elco! I found a "kit" at ECE that as new bushings (these are roached) the straps, some "adapters" for lowered applications and all new hardware for $50. Not sure what I'll do just yet. I think I'll just get it painted up then wait til it's sitting at actual ride height and see what needs to be done.

XxCHEVYMANxX 09-20-2012 11:15 AM

Oh Yeah ! thats the same sway bar I went with. alot beefier than the stock 1/2 ton.

jlsanborn 09-20-2012 11:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Yay! Half-a$$ cleaned the shop! It's always a damn $hit-hole and I just had to put a broom down before I got to doing anything. It's about 50% shop and 50% storage shed but I've got plans for that in the future.

I'm doing just a few small touches on the cab and now draggin out the rest of the body parts to finish up. I sure hope I know what the H-E-double hockey sticks I'm doing! Never really done any body work. I know I effin hate it tho! :haha: Luckily I'm in good shape. I've done very little metal work and there's really no rust to speak of. The truck has less than 80k original miles and was driven through some major "tar based" road construction. That's the best undercoating I've ever seen and is a BEAR to chip off. I'm stripping and shaping with P40, clean up with P80 and finish with P180. All I've got is a wood block, then my electric RO and Rosie Palm! I'm super anxious to build my "booth" and lay some primer down man!

I found a local "blaster" that seems to work for a pretty decent rate. I called and said I had inners, rad support and a ton of small parts and he thought it'd be under a hunny. I'm going to pull out and catalog pretty much all the crap I have left and bring it in. Looking back, I've spent sooo much time and moolah on abrasives, wire wheels, solvents and crap that I shoulda just had the whole shabang blasted on day one!

fakerwade 09-21-2012 12:45 AM

From one guy who doesn't usually do body work to another,,, it looks good!!! (for what it's worth);)

Bomp 09-21-2012 09:12 AM

Like it.

jlsanborn 09-21-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fakerwade (Post 5604122)
From one guy who doesn't usually do body work to another,,, it looks good!!! (for what it's worth);)

Thanks Wade! Wifey and the Boy call me Anal Johnny all the time. To me it's not anal, it's just that its probably taking me ten times as long as somebody that knows what they're doing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 5604391)
Like it.

Thanks Bomp! Gave your '66 a read this morning. That thing is gonna be cool!

Low Elco 09-21-2012 01:39 PM

Duuuuuude. I don't think I'd a told that! Polishing my halo over here..... Get the Durablocks kit, about $40. I love mine, sticky back 80 grit and give er hell!
Posted via Mobile Device

67cheby 09-21-2012 01:48 PM

WOW...great SHOP !! jealous !

FrankieD 09-21-2012 01:51 PM

[QUOTE=jlsanborn;5604023]Yay! Half-a$$ cleaned the shop! It's always a damn $hit-hole and I just had to put a broom down before I got to doing anything. It's about 50% shop and 50% storage shed but I've got plans for that in the future.

We all would love a place like that to work in but the heat bill in the winter would kill me. Lucky Dog

Low Elco 09-21-2012 01:52 PM

PS- what you're doing looks good! Skim it 3-4 inches either side of the low spot. Knock it down till the mud featheredges. LEAVE IT. IT'LL FEEL HIGH. LEAVE IT. Repeat over damage on the rest of the panel. Hose it with 3 good coats of featherfill 2.0. 80 block the featherfill, tap down high spots lightly. 2more coats of featherfill. Block with 150. Reprime. Block with 220. Reprime. Wetsand with 400 on a block. Spray color. Drink and giggle.
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 09-24-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 5604817)
WOW...great SHOP !! jealous !

Thanks Mike! It's been a project of its own. Three years ago it was a "barn" with a 20' x 20' hole cut in the side and corrals inside. No power either.

[quote=FrankieD;5604826]
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 5604023)
Yay! Half-a$$ cleaned the shop! It's always a damn $hit-hole and I just had to put a broom down before I got to doing anything. It's about 50% shop and 50% storage shed but I've got plans for that in the future.

We all would love a place like that to work in but the heat bill in the winter would kill me. Lucky Dog

Thanks Frankie! I enclosed that loft I built for the wife :lol: and made my little workshop under there. It's insulated to the hilt and I've got a small baseboard heater on a t-stat to keep it from freezing. I made the slider door big enough to get projects in and out. I can take the chill off pretty quickly and work on most things I need to. Got a computer and tunes in there too. The rest of the shop is a wood-stove affair.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 5604827)
PS- what you're doing looks good! Skim it 3-4 inches either side of the low spot. Knock it down till the mud featheredges. LEAVE IT. IT'LL FEEL HIGH. LEAVE IT. Repeat over damage on the rest of the panel. Hose it with 3 good coats of featherfill 2.0. 80 block the featherfill, tap down high spots lightly. 2more coats of featherfill. Block with 150. Reprime. Block with 220. Reprime. Wetsand with 400 on a block. Spray color. Drink and giggle.
Posted via Mobile Device

How the heck did you get Boppa's done so fast doing all that!? What did you use for filler? I got some stuff called Half Time from Napa. They said its their most popular. It is some tuff sanding tho! I've been working on the doors lately and will get those primered first. If everything looks good, I'm golden. If it looks bad then I've got my work cut out for me!

Low Elco 09-24-2012 02:43 PM

Ha, I use Halftime! Get it close close in metal! Really, it's a Lot faster than Jackin around with mud. Seriously. Get some good blocks, start knocking your mud down when it's just past rubbery. The better you do each step, the faster the next steps will be. Also, it helps if you work like you're killin snakes, but I don't think that's a problem for you!
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 09-24-2012 03:04 PM

You're an artist AND a comedian! That bit about smellin gas in the dark and The Kid liking "hot eatin" - I don't care who you are, that's funny right there! Killing snakes - I'll use that one!

Thanks for the bodywork tips! I'll pick up the Durablocks this week. My plan was to shoot epoxy over the metal then go to a high build for block sanding. Make sense to you?

Low Elco 09-24-2012 03:10 PM

Yup- that's what I did! Incur able smartass since birth! Killin' snakes is a standard Midwest term for someone who doesn't exactly have a relaxed working pace. I've been accused of it for years. If you dig the funny, new Ron White tomorrow by download only at

http://ronwhitespecial.com/

Enjoy!
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 09-27-2012 01:06 AM

VeeWee rolled out the driveway tonight. Should have funds tomorrow or Friday. UPS dude is gonna be busy trying to turn that big brown around in my road every day! :haha: Now back to the bodywork!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Low Elco 09-27-2012 06:38 AM

Whatcha gonna order? Enjoy early Christmas!
Posted via Mobile Device

XxCHEVYMANxX 09-27-2012 07:40 AM

^^^^X2 ! C,mon Johnny spill the beans.lol

jlsanborn 09-27-2012 11:04 AM

It's a damn dillema! I have struggled with the "build plan" already, having bought parts that are collecting dust and not really moving things forward (wheels/tires, Muncie). All I need to finish the chassis is the rear swaybar, tie-rod ends and shocks so I'll do that right off the bat. I'm thinking then I'll get all the soft parts for doors and cab, grille trim and bezels, emblems, lenses, glass.... I'll see how far it goes. Still need bed strips/hardware bumpers and of course MOTOR. I'm going to look at a small journal 327 with 461 heads today after work! If it's got a forged crank I'll probably score it, bring it home, put it on the stand and watch it catch dust. See!

Bomp 09-27-2012 08:44 PM

I hear ya. One thing leads to another or you get one thing and have to wait. Hurry up and wait and when it comes time to do something I just stand around and ponder.:haha:

gdavis 09-27-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 4758599)
Yes.
You can swap all those parts.
They are all compatable with your a-arms.
Spindles, ball joints and tie rods (with $50 adapter sleeves)

But it's so much simpler to buy new spindles that use your existing balljoints and tie rods.
Change nothing.
www.PerformanceOnline.com sells these conversion spindles every day for $228.

It may be easier but not cheaper.

jlsanborn 09-27-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdavis (Post 5616909)
It may be easier but not cheaper.

I did drop spindles, so the "conversion" was no extra cost. If you were simply converting to disk then bone-yard parts would save you a few bucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 09-27-2012 11:45 PM

Didn't check out that 327 tonight. Too busy with "not C10" work in the shop again. Had to repair / modify a woodstove for sis. Plan is to check it out tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 09-29-2012 02:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
CHA-CHING!!! Funded baby!

Ordered up my No Limit rear sway bar (2-3 week backorder) and front sway bar bushings. Had a few emails with Rob regarding shocks but I'm still not sure what to get. I think I'll hold on that for now. Also hair-triggered on that 327!!! It's 1965 RPO "HC" which was a 275hp, PGlide, 4bbl, passenger car motor. Has the 461 camel humps and a forged crank :metal:. When we first looked we thought it was "HO", which is 1965 300hp Vette. We were pissin, then did a little cleaning and were like "I think that's a C not an O". The Boy and I tore it down and are a little concerned. It's already 0.030" over and has the hella ridge at the top of stroke. He'll take it to Skill Center for an inside mic and hopefully it'll take another 0.030" for one last hoorah!. The crank is already 0.010"/0.010" too but it looks pretty clean. I'll load up the rest of the crusty crap this weekend and drop it by the blaster's shop on Monday. Should have those bits painted black and this thing sitting on it's new shoes by next week or so. This project is moving again, but I'm still hung on the bodywork. I'm trying to find the Durablocks locally instead of online.

XxCHEVYMANxX 09-29-2012 05:41 AM

Good to see things are getting back on track ! hope everything works out with the motor. do you know if the heads are ready for unleaded?

Bomp 09-29-2012 05:28 PM

With that size of shop you could make your very own blast room or blast box. Just sayin cause you got ROOM!
Nice to see you and the young one killin it in the shop. Good luck on the motor.

jlsanborn 09-29-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxCHEVYMANxX (Post 5618972)
Good to see things are getting back on track ! hope everything works out with the motor. do you know if the heads are ready for unleaded?

Thanks John! Got that instrument panel sprayed yet?

I'd have to guess that these heads are OG and will need hardened seats. We'll do screw in studs and guide plates too. I know that by the time I'm done with them I'll have spent about as much as a set of new aluminum CNC heads cost, but the objective is COOL. Camel humps are COOL! We've gone rounds on the motor thing. You can buy a 383 crate or bone-yard a Vortec and get way more hp per buck. Again the objective isn't HP or efficiency, it's COOL. An old school 327 with GM cast iron heads, making 300+ hp is what we're looking for. No bling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 5619682)
With that size of shop you could make your very own blast room or blast box. Just sayin cause you got ROOM!
Nice to see you and the young one killin it in the shop. Good luck on the motor.

Thanks Bomp! I've contemplated the home blaster too. I think I'd have to upgrade the compressor situation and am trying to save SPACE. I love my big shop and am continuously trying to keep it clear. I see a lot of dudes on here working outside or in a small space and feel pretty lucky to have the room. I just want to keep it that way. I'm down to a handfull of yucky parts and I'll be glad to drop a hundred to have the dude down the road blast them for me. Looking back, I probably should have invested as it would have been much quicker and easier with much better results (like yours). Next time....

XxCHEVYMANxX 09-30-2012 10:35 AM

Camel hump heads are COOL ! I'm with you there, I have a set on my chevelle. actually the entire motor is just like it was in the early 80's when I bought the car. I had the heads rebuilt years later when you could no longer buy regular leaded fuel.(used to be 87 cents a gallon when I started driving.)

Low Elco 09-30-2012 11:28 AM

I was gonna say, seeing Bomps blast box has given me new inspiration. X2 on the indecision. Trying to decide which way to go on LBT. Don't wanna tear down too far, winter's a comin', and I (hopefully) have some more sidies coming. It's fun just to bomb aroound in, but, it burns some oil, the suspension sucks, the crust on the body I have most of the panels for, which way to go? Gaaah!

jlsanborn 09-30-2012 11:25 PM

Officially done GETTING firewood (got the other half of g-daddy yesterday). Put the racks and cables up, vacuumed the stink-bugs and crap out, pressure washed the inside. Looks like a new truck!! Still have splitting and stacking to do tho.

Swung by Napa today and grabbed new tie rod ends. Documented and loaded all my crusty stuff to drop by the blaster's tomorrow after work (door panels, grille, rad support, inners and a bunch of little stuff). Next up will be building my spray tent.

jlsanborn 10-01-2012 11:17 AM

Need help with engine mounts and crossmember

Truck was a 292 I6 with a column shift three speed. It has the forward mounted crossmember that supports the bellhousing. I picked up some V8 engine stands, but I'm not sure about where to put those and if I should change crossmembers?

Aren't there different mounting locations for the engine stands?

Is that bell mounted starter going to suck?

Are there optional mounting locations for the crossmemeber if I change to the trans mount style?

jlsanborn 10-03-2012 09:06 AM

I've got a healthy list of stuff to order, but I want to make sure I hang on to enough cash for paint. What's a good SWAG for primer and paint? I've got a gallon of epoxy and enough black for wheels and small parts already. I'm guessing I'll need more epoxy, high build and color (single stage urethane). Think $1000 will cover that? I wanna be fat because I'll also be needing more abrasives, thinner, all those kind of consumables too.

FrankieD 10-03-2012 01:45 PM

not sure if these guys can save you any because of shipping but you can get an idea on pricing. They are 5min from my house.

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/default.aspx

XxCHEVYMANxX 10-03-2012 09:04 PM

Re: Need help with engine mounts and crossmember

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 5622725)
Truck was a 292 I6 with a column shift three speed. It has the forward mounted crossmember that supports the bellhousing. I picked up some V8 engine stands, but I'm not sure about where to put those and if I should change crossmembers?

Aren't there different mounting locations for the engine stands?

Is that bell mounted starter going to suck?

Are there optional mounting locations for the crossmemeber if I change to the trans mount style?

Hey Johnny, I'll have to look at mine to make sure, but if I remember right my motor mount stands are in the rear location. I also have the bell housing mount X member. that configuration was correct for the 3 speed trans. and works for the big muncie granny low 4 speed. Like I said, let me double check exact mounting points.

jlsanborn 10-04-2012 12:03 AM

4 Attachment(s)
That'd be awesome John! I've got the M20 Muncie, but it bolts up to the bell. It kinda sucks that the bell has thru holes on the bottom of the flange, but I can deal with that. I don't have any support issues either. I've seen lots of guys run this setup. My biggest concern is the bell mounted starter. I don't wanna hack the bell to run a block mounted starter. Is that bell mounted starter crappy? Am I limited in flywheel diamter with this? If there's a big reason for me to change to a rear crossmember I wanna do that now.

Enough with the chit-chat, jlsanborn is building on this thread again! I dropped off a pile of junk at the blasters on Monday. He's about a week or so backlogged but I'm stoked. I ordered an a$$-lode of pretty stuff today too! Pretty much everything for the interior, all the door bits, a complete rubber kit, mirrors, emblems, grill trim and bezels, can't even remember it all right now. I'll put up pics after Big Brown comes. The Boy prettied up the big-o sway bar and got that hung while I finished out the passenger door tonight. There'll be paint fumes here soon!

FrankieD 10-04-2012 08:22 AM

My 70 W/granny 4spd and the 72 3spd parts truck had the same bellhousing mounts. You could use a car bellhousing they didn't have the mounts on them and then you would have the threads for the bottom bolts.

Low Elco 10-04-2012 08:38 AM

Woot, woot! Looks like progress! Always feels good to go forward!
Posted via Mobile Device

XxCHEVYMANxX 10-04-2012 08:21 PM

Well I was wrong, my engine stands are mounted in the forward position. I have never had any trouble out of my bell mounted starter, its the same starter I used when it was my daily driver for a year. the engine stands only have two mounting positions(on my frame), and the bell mount X member looks like it has three positions. also remember that the Z bar for manual trans had different mounting points, and sizes too.