The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   difficult to get into park (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=828426)

72kat 12-03-2021 09:03 PM

difficult to get into park

Greetings,
I have a 72 c10 with turbo 350. The problem I am having is that it is tuff to put into park. Fiddle with the selector, pull towards you and it will go into park with significant force.

Before I crawl under it, where should I look for the problem?

thanks.

truckster 12-03-2021 09:10 PM

Re: difficult to get into park

Check the pin in the selector lever. Those tend to slide out and cause problems.

BigBird05 12-03-2021 10:20 PM

Some people have had this problem from old and dryed out grease in the steering column collar. There have been some write ups about how to clean and lube the inside of the steering column.

LockDoc 12-03-2021 11:11 PM

-
Before you spend a lot of time trying to figure it out, try spraying some PB Blaster or other GOOD penetrating oil into the opening around the shift lever, where it goes into the column. Be sure it is in Neutral and the wheels are blocked. Stick the nozzle into the small open areas around the lever and give it good spray. Then pull the lever back toward you and push it down toward the dash, Do this 3 or 4 times and see if it loosens up. The lever should move up and down a couple of inches. Spray the column at the bottom under the hood too. Let us know if that makes any difference.

If you have a nice floor mat or carpet put a piece of plastic or other protection under the work area and under the full length of the interior column.

LockDoc

HO455 12-05-2021 02:25 PM

If LockDoc's solution helps but doesn’t cure the problem it may be that the lower bearing surface for the shifter (not the column) is rusted as mine was. I had to remove the column and replace the bearing ring the shifter mechanism rides inside of.

davischevy 12-05-2021 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 9003044)
-
Before you spend a lot of time trying to figure it out, try spraying some PB Blaster or other GOOD penetrating oil into the opening around the shift lever, where it goes into the column. Be sure it is in Neutral and the wheels are blocked. Stick the nozzle into the small open areas around the lever and give it good spray. Then pull the lever back toward you and push it down toward the dash, Do this 3 or 4 times and see if it loosens up. The lever should move up and down a couple of inches. Spray the column at the bottom under the hood too. Let us know if that makes any difference.

If you have a nice floor mat or carpet put a piece of plastic or other protection under the work area and under the full length of the interior column.

LockDoc

What he said.

72kat 12-06-2021 12:34 PM

Thanks. Will try the pb blaster and go from there.
Sorry for the delay, was off buying a seat for my truck.