The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Belt squeak that I can't figure out (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=451611)

csb#356 03-07-2011 07:43 PM

Belt squeak that I can't figure out

I'll start out by saying that I have a brand new alternator and its a brand new belt. Ok when I turn my heater on the belt starts squeaking uncontrollably and when I turn it off its fine. So if I tighten it up at all it starts making a hissing sound like its too tight. The belt runs around the alt, water pump, and crank pulley. It looks like its in line with the water pump pulley but I can tell that the alignment is off a little bit with the crank pulley. So can I get a shorter belt and run it just around the alt and water pump? Because the power steering belt still goes around all three. I really need some ideas because I have never heard an engine that makes this much noise and I just can't seem to figure it out.

Any and all suggestions will be tried. Thanks

blazer2007 03-07-2011 07:59 PM

Re: Belt squeak that I can't figure out

I have the same problem,mine sounds like crickets.My does it at certain temp.there was a thread on this and it seems to be the belt stlye on the pully.

csb#356 03-07-2011 08:40 PM

That is a better way to describe it, thats exactly what mine sounds like. So its the style of belt? I thought v belts were v belts

SS Delux 03-07-2011 08:49 PM

Try toothpaste, I hear that because it is abrasive it will take any hard spots off. May be an old wives tale or it might work, either way you can wash it off if it doesnt help.

pig rig 03-07-2011 09:43 PM

sand the pulleys but dont go with the grove sand up and down into the grove

but first check and see if its running true if you cant see by looking down the belt put a strait edge to the face of the pulleys

78maliburat 03-07-2011 09:45 PM

width of belt is incorrect

bmchevy1979 03-07-2011 09:51 PM

If it is doing this when the heater is on wouldn't it be the ac/ps belt not the alt. belt or did I miss something

motornut 03-08-2011 07:38 AM

I some times use a broom stick held on parts running(or close to it)
place the other end in your ear(don't worry it dosn't need to fit,just rest outside there)
the sound will go up the stick

csb#356 03-08-2011 03:06 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I know it is the alt belt because when I take it off its nice and quiet, I assume it does this with the heater on becuase there is more load on the alt, It will also do it with the lights on.

Pig rig, If I look at the belt from the alt down to the crank pulley I can see that its off, But it is inline with the water pump, thats why I was curious about getting a shorter belt and just running it around the alt and water pump. Would this work?

Also the belt with could be an issue I guess the pulley that was on the new alternator that I got was a little skinny. I'll post up some pics.

blackbeaSSt 03-08-2011 03:28 PM

right there with ya csb. mine is a minor squeak (that doesn't last) when i turn the heat on. i also have another belt that seems to squeak when i start the truck. maybe the same belt for all i know?

csb#356 03-08-2011 05:39 PM

Well I figured out a fix, Instead of having the belt go around the alternator, water pump and crankshaft I just got a shorter one and went around the Alternator and water pump only, and guess what no more noise. It seems to work fine, I didn't see a problem in doing this so I did it. Hopefully it works out fine.
Thanks for the suggestions though everyone

Goldfinger 03-16-2011 01:36 PM

Just jam and aircraft screw driver in between the alt and the guard then lock it down tight. tight belts don't squeal unless a pulley seizes

sumran 03-16-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csb#356 (Post 4539162)
Well I figured out a fix, Instead of having the belt go around the alternator, water pump and crankshaft I just got a shorter one and went around the Alternator and water pump only, and guess what no more noise. It seems to work fine, I didn't see a problem in doing this so I did it. Hopefully it works out fine.

:) This should stop the squeak. It should also reduce wear on both the alternator and the water pump.

csb#356 03-16-2011 03:30 PM

This seemed to fix the problem except that schucks gave me the wrong size, I asked for a 30" belt and the7 gave me a 31 5/8" so when it stretched it is now too long. haha

LostMy65 03-19-2020 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csb#356 (Post 4539162)

Interesting, I never thought of that.

Ziegelsteinfaust 03-20-2020 02:31 PM

In work in the hvac field. Regular V belts are equivalent to our A series belts.

We have a AX series which works really well for reducing squeaking since it can bend around tighter pulleys quite easily. I have used them on my trucks since I have a stock of them. May work better under the conditions you experience.

LostMy65 04-10-2020 02:13 PM

I put on a different alternator pulley and no more squeal.