The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Leaf Spring Lowering Brackets too wide (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=828800)

BrentBTK 12-17-2021 08:20 AM

Leaf Spring Lowering Brackets too wide

1 Attachment(s)
This truck has been fighting me every step of they way with this suspension. I just moved to the rear yesterday afternoon, and when I went to install the lowering brackets for the leaf springs, they were significantly wider than the perch they sit in. Attached is a photo showing the difference in the center pin on the old bracket vs the new one. Has anyone else had this? The DS2 rear shocks Western Chassis sent were the same way. I had to grind down the pins and the bushings to get everything to fit between the brackets. SSybil is living up to her name, lol.

SCOTI 12-17-2021 04:52 PM

Re: Leaf Spring Lowering Brackets too wide

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrentBTK (Post 9007822)
This truck has been fighting me every step of they way with this suspension. I just moved to the rear yesterday afternoon, and when I went to install the lowering brackets for the leaf springs, they were significantly wider than the perch they sit in. Attached is a photo showing the difference in the center pin on the old bracket vs the new one. Has anyone else had this? The DS2 rear shocks Western Chassis sent were the same way. I had to grind down the pins and the bushings to get everything to fit between the brackets. SSybil is living up to her name, lol.

What year truck are you working with?
What specific "lowering brackets" for the leaf springs are you referring to?

Mike C 12-17-2021 11:04 PM

69-72 2x4 trucks except Longhorns have 2 1/4” wide leaf springs, Longhorns, 4x4’s and square body trucks have 2 1/2” wide springs. OBS or GMT-800 and GMT-900 trucks I have no idea.

BrentBTK 12-18-2021 08:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Interesting. It's a '71 GMC. SPID below. Says "Heavy rear springs" I purchased a kit from Western Chassis that included new coils and spindles up front and drop brackets and 4" drop leaves for the rear. The springs themselves are on backorder until February. It was only the base of the brackets that was too wide. (The part that bolts into the pocket on the frame) The top of the brackets where the spring attached is perfect. I had to trim about 1/4" off the pins and sand the bushings down to fit. Same thing with the rear shock bases. I called them while I was in the middle of it, and they had never heard of such a thing... shocking, lol.

Mike C 12-20-2021 12:48 AM

My ‘69 short step has the heavy rear springs. They have an additional leaf.