The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   What polish do you like??? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=834181)

FleetsidePaul 05-06-2022 02:11 PM

What polish do you like???

I live in the desert. The sun is hard on my paint. I've used a lot of different products to keep things up but with limited success. I'm kind of losing the battle here.

Is there something that may help?? I've bought some expensive stuff and it works to a point. But no miracles.

Now my 70 CST, my VW, and my 73 Satellite are really oxidized. They might have been shiny once but that ship has sailed. So I'm just wondering if someone has had some luck with something? I might color sand them but I'm no body man. I'm just trying to take care of my stuff.

Steeveedee 05-06-2022 02:25 PM

Re: What polish do you like???

If they are single stage and badly oxidized, I'd start with rubbing compound, then go to polishing compound. There are waxes on the market that are claimed to need only a yearly application. You might look into that.

special-K 05-06-2022 03:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What polish do I like?
Attachment 2190239

I used some kind of liquid clay bar once and it brought the paint back 100% by hand. It not only brought the shine back, it cleaned the paint. It was my white GMC and any stains in the paint were gone

DeadheadNM 05-06-2022 03:06 PM

I'm w Tim.

leddzepp 05-06-2022 03:14 PM

I used a clay bar, followed by meguiars ultimate compound and it brought back the shine on my original paint 68 bed and doors. The hood and tops of the fenders are pretty worn and patina’d so I’m thinking about getting some kind of clear coat to make them shine again.

FleetsidePaul 05-07-2022 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 9076055)
I'm w Tim.

On the Polish sausage or the clay bar? :lol:

I have to say. Polock Johnny's looks pretty darn good. I love me some Polish sausage.

I just want to take it slow. It's old original paint and I don't want to burn through it. I'm treading softly.

special-K 05-07-2022 06:41 PM

I second clay bar. I thought I had typed something about it. I've used a liquid clay bar product before as well. Worked really well. cleans stains that are in the paint, as well as de-oxidize.

FleetsidePaul 05-08-2022 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9076568)
I second clay bar. I thought I had typed something about it. I've used a liquid clay bar product before as well. Worked really well. cleans stains that are in the paint, as well as de-oxidize.

I'm going to try the liquid clay bar. It'll probably will be the first time that this truck has been polished in a whole lot of years. It will be interesting to see what it looks like.

And I still want a Polish sausage sandwich.

TKCR 05-08-2022 06:08 PM

I used to detail. I really like Griots. I use a lot of their products, mainly the clay bar and polishes. I really love all their towels!

LT7A 05-14-2022 08:41 AM

Meguiars number 7 is something that allows you to take oxidation off gently with a towel and helps rejuvenate the paint. You can then put a sealer over the top of it to protect.

CC69Rat 12-07-2023 07:17 PM

Griots for me too. I like their sandpaper for a good cut and buff (depends on what paint is on it of course) get it flat and start bringing the shine back with gradual grades of polish. I have their foam cannon for a good pre-clean and wash first, (or clay bar) to get the contaminants off then start the paint correction.