The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   easiest way to change the rear main seal (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=573373)

ol'blazer 03-31-2013 02:00 AM

easiest way to change the rear main seal

so the 350 in my truck has a leaky rear main seal :waah:... im wondering what the easiest to replace it? do i have to pull the trans? or can i get away with just pulling the pan and and back main cap?

Tx Firefighter 03-31-2013 07:56 AM

Re: easiest way to change the rear main seal

Assuming its not a later model engine with a 1 piece rear main seal, yes, you just drop the pan and rear bearing cap to change the seal. No need to drop the trans.
Posted via Mobile Device

cdowns 03-31-2013 10:12 AM

easiest way i found was to drop it off at a good shop and pick it up after its done

ol'blazer 03-31-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter (Post 5982034)
Assuming its not a later model engine with a 1 piece rear main seal, yes, you just drop the pan and rear bearing cap to change the seal. No need to drop the trans.
Posted via Mobile Device

thanks man!
Quote:

Originally Posted by cdowns (Post 5982193)
easiest way i found was to drop it off at a good shop and pick it up after its done

:lol: something said to be said for doing it that way!, it is easier for sure, but im to cheap to send my truck into a shop for anything.

GASoline71 03-31-2013 01:25 PM

If it's in the '80 in the Blazer in your sig line... you won't need to lift the engine to get the pan out. Which it a good thing. But... the whole process is a PITA no matter how you do it.

Gary

Tx Firefighter 03-31-2013 01:42 PM

I don't know about getting the pan off without lifting the engine on his truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

GASoline71 03-31-2013 01:51 PM

I've done a few rear mains in late 70's and early 80's (2 piece) trucks and didn't have to lift the engine. They were all 4x4's as well.

Gary

ol'blazer 03-31-2013 01:51 PM

I just tore into it this morning and I got the pan and main cap off without lifting the motor, should have it put back together tonight.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tx Firefighter 03-31-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GASoline71 (Post 5982658)
I've done a few rear mains in late 70's and early 80's (2 piece) trucks and didn't have to lift the engine. They were all 4x4's as well.

Gary

I've never done on on a 4x4 personally. I was just going by 2wd trucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

GuyO 05-23-2013 07:32 PM

There's a guy in another thread who takes about making sure the timing mark is facing straight down. Apparently this places the crank in a position where the pan slides out once unbolted. My rear main is leaking like a sieve, and am planning on doing the seal replacement myself. I will let you know about the pan.

ol'blazer 05-23-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyO (Post 6087054)
There's a guy in another thread who takes about making sure the timing mark is facing straight down. Apparently this places the crank in a position where the pan slides out once unbolted. My rear main is leaking like a sieve, and am planning on doing the seal replacement myself. I will let you know about the pan.

i never did that.. but it sounds like a good idea.. tell us how it works, best of luck!

burnin oil 05-24-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyO (Post 6087054)

They are trying to make sure that the counter wieght on the crank doesn't catch the pan as it slides back. It is fun trying to get the rear of the pan to clear the trans, baffle clear the oil pump and pickup, and clear the crank all the while bottoming out on the crossmember.:lol:

Tx Firefighter 05-24-2013 08:23 AM

I never try to work around the oil pump. I drop the pan enough to get a wrench on the oil pump bolt and drop the pump into the pan.
Posted via Mobile Device

SSC's76 05-26-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnin oil (Post 6087807)
They are trying to make sure that the counter wieght on the crank doesn't catch the pan as it slides back. It is fun trying to get the rear of the pan to clear the trans, baffle clear the oil pump and pickup, and clear the crank all the while bottoming out on the crossmember.:lol:

Yep been there 1st one I ever did lined up perfect second on was like what the heck why isn't this working raised the engine and got the pan off was like hmm that's why. Making sure the crank is lined up properly will make it a easy job unless you are working on a 4x4 the. It don't matter
Posted via Mobile Device

burnin oil 05-27-2013 09:21 AM

My 72 K20 isn't that bad. A jack and about 15 bolts gets the 3 piece crossmember out. You can then drop it straight down. Easiest one I have ever done. Pan easy, realligning the crossmember is a PITA due to slight frame twist (old age, not damage)!

prostreetC-10 05-27-2013 11:23 AM

Hopefully you will roll the seal through so it's sticking out an 1/8th inch or so otherwise you might be right back in the same situation. In other words, don't have the where the 2 halves of the seal line up with the 2 halves of the main cap. That is where oil wants to leak under pressure.