The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Stock Radio Installation Help (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=821498)

Mapearso 05-06-2021 02:38 PM

Stock Radio Installation Help

3 Attachment(s)
Hey Team 67-72

I’m fixin to install the stock GM radio on my 72 Cheyenne Super. I haven’t done this job before but it seems pretty straight forward, especially if I remove the glove box.

Before I get started, I’m wondering if I have all the correct hardware for the install. I think I may be missing one of the cups. If so, can someone please let me know the best place to get the parts I need?

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

Grumpy old man 05-06-2021 05:56 PM

Re: Stock Radio Installation Help

Place a WTB ( want to Buy ) in the classified section . Those parts aren't reproduced . :chevy:

body bolt 05-06-2021 06:21 PM

The tuner shaft looks too short. Post a pic with the knob removed.

LockDoc 05-06-2021 09:17 PM

-
Details on installation:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=518727

LockDoc

badpeanut 05-06-2021 09:40 PM

In addition to the second mounting cup, you also need the rear knobs. And you'll need a power wire, speaker with radio plug, speaker mounting bracket, mount on the inside of the firewall, and the radio backstrap bracket.

Yes, I recommend installation by removing the glove box (and a few ducts if you have factory air). I did mine recently--it is straightforward if you have everything.

Mapearso 05-07-2021 02:05 PM

Ok thanks guys. Here are some more photos
Posted via Mobile Device

Mapearso 05-07-2021 02:07 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Pics
Posted via Mobile Device

body bolt 05-07-2021 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mapearso (Post 8918164)
Pics
Posted via Mobile Device

It looks right. The tuner shaft is bit shorter than the volume/tone and I never noticed.

LockDoc 05-07-2021 05:39 PM

-
Knobs look like they are the wrong ones. Looks like they both have set screws in them. One looks like a wiper knob and one looks like it might be a throttle knob. The radio knobs do not have set screws to hold them on.

LockDoc

body bolt 05-07-2021 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8918215)
-
Knobs look like they are the wrong ones. Looks like they both have set screws in them. One looks like a wiper knob and one looks like it might be a throttle knob. The radio knobs do not have set screws to hold them on.

LockDoc

The one on the right has a spring and appears to be the correct volume knob but the other does appear to be a wiper knob.

Accelo 05-08-2021 12:04 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures that may help.
The radios are easy enough to find.
Decent speakers can be purchased new as I did.
Show in the pictures below.
The brackets are a lot more difficult to come by.
When you wire the speaker be sure to get the black (-) on the correct terminal.
You can see the wood spacer that came with the new (reproduction) speaker.
This is so it will fit the bracket correctly. This same speaker was used in many other GM vehicles.
However, the brackets may be specific to the vehicle.
Rick

Mapearso 05-21-2021 05:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by body bolt (Post 8918223)
The one on the right has a spring and appears to be the correct volume knob but the other does appear to be a wiper knob.

So I found these at the swap meet.

Are the “tall” ones correct ?

Also, should the knobs have the metal center? Or are they just black plastic?

Thanks again for all the help!!
Posted via Mobile Device

HotWheelsFan 05-21-2021 05:58 PM

Not sure about the tall vs short...

I do know the knobs should have the metal insert though. It is a spring type of fitment to the shaft to keep the knob secure to the radio. Even metal raido knobs of that style will have the spring insert on them as well.

Bob

body bolt 05-21-2021 07:08 PM

The short knob with a set screw would make it a wiper knob. Those have no spring insert. The other short one looks like a tuner knob while the 2 tall appear to be volume knobs.

ho70 05-21-2021 11:18 PM

if you have AC, good luck. I have had to replace my old hoses as they wouldn't allow me to get the radio in. Tried for hours with 4 others trying as well.

body bolt 05-22-2021 12:52 PM

I just replaced my radio and had everything out; ash tray/holder and AC/heater controls. The hoses went in last.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ho70 (Post 8923425)
if you have AC, good luck. I have had to replace my old hoses as they wouldn't allow me to get the radio in. Tried for hours with 4 others trying as well.