The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Truck Audio (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Wireless Radio set up (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=597386)

tsali39 09-19-2013 04:10 PM

Wireless Radio set up

1 Attachment(s)
After looking at all the options I decided to forgo wires, amps and speakers for my truck. I bought a Soundfreaq Bluetooth speaker and tossed it into my glove box. I will port the bottom of the box to let the sound out. This unit is plenty loud for my use. Since I take my phone with me when I cruise, I have access to thousands of free tunes!

BR3W CITY 09-23-2013 12:04 PM

Re: Wireless Radio set up

Interesting idea but its really loud enough? It took me re-sound deadening the truck and adding 4 amped speakers to get anywhere near the volume and clarity I needed to hear over the road noise and engine noise of the truck.

Do you get any bass?

jimmydean 09-26-2013 04:56 PM

That's pretty cool if all you want is sound reproduction. But you won't get any sort of imaging, bass, or soundstage from the glove box. :lol:

_Ogre 09-29-2013 12:16 PM

might be good when parked, but i can't see the volume or highs and lows being adequate for driving.

Billett 10-01-2013 05:50 PM

I agree with these guys. It's very convenient, and awesome for someone on a budget who just needs some kind of music for a long commute to work or something, but definitely not a replacement for quality setup.

shok 10-01-2013 05:56 PM

I did something similar with some blue tooth speakers in my truck. The best way to describe it is its probably 2 to 4 times as good as what these trucks may have had stock back in the day.
No real bass or anything, but I can hear it when I drive fine. If you want to cruise around in an old truck playing oldies and making believe its the 60s it works well :)

king-918 10-09-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsali39 (Post 6276948)
After looking at all the options I decided to forgo wires, amps and speakers for my truck. I bought a Soundfreaq Bluetooth speaker and tossed it into my glove box. I will port the bottom of the box to let the sound out. This unit is plenty loud for my use. Since I take my phone with me when I cruise, I have access to thousands of free tunes!

Why are you unwilling to add a stereo?

zaccaglin 10-09-2013 08:51 PM

I got to say that's one of the best Bluetooth speakers ive ever seen. I own one as we'll and have used and abused mine. The sound and bass on them is amazing and the 7hr battery life can't be beat.

king-918 10-09-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaccaglin (Post 6307538)
I got to say that's one of the best Bluetooth speakers ive ever seen. I own one as we'll and have used and abused mine. The sound and bass on them is amazing and the 7hr battery life can't be beat.

I understand that, but it's kinda anticlimactic in a truck. There are better options if you want to keep it stock looking

tsali39 01-29-2014 03:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by king-918 (Post 6307650)
I understand that, but it's kinda anticlimactic in a truck. There are better options if you want to keep it stock looking

I do not have the stock look at all! As for my tunes, I can hear it well enough in winter!

king-918 01-30-2014 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsali39 (Post 6497424)
I do not have the stock look at all! As for my tunes, I can hear it well enough in winter!

I must admit it drives me up the wall to see audio being done this way, but if you are happy

tsali39 08-04-2014 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ogre (Post 6291348)
might be good when parked, but i can't see the volume or highs and lows being adequate for driving.

With my new cell phone the volume and bass has increased tenfold and I now can blast this unit with he windows down. Just saying, sometimes less is more than enough.

jamesjones 08-05-2014 12:38 AM

No way I could hear that in my Blazer.

If you want wireless, just buy a mechless head unit and run four speakers off of the HU. It would probably be around the same price and sound significantly better.

I installed Kenwood BT308U in my daily beater Toyota but whatever your favorite brand mechless unit will do.

shok 08-05-2014 12:48 AM

What is mechless?

jamesjones 08-05-2014 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shok (Post 6789029)
What is mechless?

No CD player.

shok 08-05-2014 03:44 PM

oh ok, gotcha.

jamesjones 08-05-2014 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shok (Post 6789662)
oh ok, gotcha.

They're pretty sweet. All of the advantages of a HU (internal amp, basic tuning, BT audio and hands free) all in a pretty small package...

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/...8062_thumb.jpg

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/...8078_thumb.jpg

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/...8093_thumb.jpg

tommyd241 08-05-2014 08:02 PM

That is a great idea actually to easily get some tunes in the truck. When I get my truck running again I'll just take my beats pill and my phone with me when I go for a cruise!

shok 08-06-2014 06:05 PM

I wish I knew this a few months back, not for my truck but for an 84 Daytona I picked up. I ended up just putting any POS to fill the dash, sad part it was about the price of the Kenwood unit you showed!
I did look for something like this but I guess I didn’t know what to search for...

jamesjones 08-07-2014 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shok (Post 6791126)
I wish I knew this a few months back, not for my truck but for an 84 Daytona I picked up. I ended up just putting any POS to fill the dash, sad part it was about the price of the Kenwood unit you showed!
I did look for something like this but I guess I didn’t know what to search for...

Yeah, I stumbled onto them when I decided to upgrade the stereo in my beater '91 Toyota. Now I have BT hands free phone access. My 2006 Dodge Ram doesn't even have that.

Every brand of stereo makes a version. Pioneer's is probably the best (more preouts) but I liked the look/price of the Kenwood and it had what I needed.

shok 08-08-2014 05:14 PM

Yeh I have a Pioneer with BT in my daily driver Challenger and I love it, great for the phone, great for listening to a music service or podcasts and even works well with Siri.