The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   My '67 Fleetside C10 renew (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=471776)

Bomp 03-22-2013 11:11 AM

Re: My '67 Fleetside C10 renew

oughta have a "How To" from the boy on how he goes about weldin those up.

Lookin good.

jlsanborn 03-22-2013 05:06 PM

Ohhhh you'd cringe man!

Step one - Use dad's torch to basically light the greasy mess on fire IN THE SHOP. Open all the doors to let the smoke clear.

Step two - install about a dozen 7018AC rods at about 150 amps. Basically fuse anything that looks like it might move.

Step three - after about 90 days it's cooled down enough to actually handle, toss in back of truck for delivery.

Step four - Pull over and inspect any tire you might see in the ditch or wherever. You'll need them.

:lol:

jlsanborn 03-27-2013 11:47 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Some progress.....

I've finally nailed down the engine mounts and cross memeber. I still need to build some spacers to go between the perches and the top of the frame rails as well as drill a couple holes in the cross member. I tossed the seat in to check clearance and am really pleased with how it's all working out. I'll still have to cut the shifter and offset it forward about an inch because it just barely touches the seat. The only clearance issue was the pinch weld in the trans tunnel but the top of the case was pretty much touching the cab floor. I split the floor and will patch in about a 1/2" strip. Sitting in there and working that shifter is cool man!

My pal calls me last night and turns me on to some dude that has some Chevy parts for sale in front of his house. Turns out to be a really cool guy that has built a really nice '72 with a few trophy's go show for it. He yanked his bumpers and is doing roll pans so Johnny walks away with a chrome sport bumper with the license plate bucket, mounting brackets and brand new gravel gaurds for $60! He tossed in some tail lamp lenses too. The boy picked up a pair of brand new high back buckets with them holes for 5 point belts for $80. He's just gonna flip those on craigslist and is askin $250

jlsanborn 03-27-2013 11:57 AM

Bomp 03-28-2013 05:51 PM

Liking the progress. Nice score on the parts too.
Is the weather working with ya on getting a chance to squirt some paint?
Lookin' good
Posted via Mobile Device

Low Elco 03-28-2013 07:49 PM

Nice parts!

jlsanborn 03-29-2013 02:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Yup that was a good find! Bumper ain't perfect but it's going on. Only some minor scuffs and it's kinda dimpled where the carraige bolts pull through. Weather hasn't been an issue. Still trying to save a few scheckles for paint but there's always something that comes up. I'm only a few hunny short. It's coming... I promise. When it does I should be able to shoot the whole tamale.

Got the shifter modded last night. I was able to cut it and use the drop for the gusset. Turned out sweet and fits like a glove.

Also need to introduce you all to the "Cuz". He goes to school with the Boy and is also a junk-yard rat. He just scored this '79 GMC with a pretty healthy 350 and SM465. His folks were a little pissed about his choice in transportation so I guess it's parked at Uncle Johnny's place for a while. He and the Boy have been wrenching on it after school.

Thanks for checkin in!

Low Elco 03-29-2013 03:15 PM

Ha, hiding trucks! Wait'll he learns to hide... Ahem... Speeding tickets. Ahem. No comment. As long as you can be a bad influence!
Posted via Mobile Device

Bomp 03-30-2013 08:07 PM

Nice job on the shifter handle. I gotta ask what the plans are for the seat??? Egads that there is one tore up bench.
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 03-31-2013 11:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
With a little love I think the seat foam will make it. I've all along thought I would do a full vinyl cover like this one but I haven't ruled out one like DeserCat's but in a black/grey houndstooth and black vinyl. Whatchya think??? I really like the full vinyl better but cloth is more comfortable....

Bomp 03-31-2013 12:36 PM

I like them both. Im not much help. My '72 (orange) has cloth seats. Real comfy.
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 04-15-2013 10:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Project has all but crashed! Been mad busy at work and spent the last week back in LA. There's more travel coming too I'm afraid. It's turning spring time here and that means more non-truck work. Gotta get this thing going again this week.

The Boy is cruising on his 350 for the S10. He's gotta get a trans to build then he's going to narrow a *ord 8.8 rear and do a four link.

Low Elco 04-15-2013 11:49 AM

Like 'em both. Vinyl hot in summer! Tell Boy to start buying used tires, he'll need 'em!
Posted via Mobile Device

butternut1972 04-16-2013 12:14 AM

You will be happy with hounds tooth, looks better in person than pics. I hear you on the work thing, I'm making a mad dash to get my turd done. I have a crap ton of big projects this year at work, as a matter of fact one of them is your neck of the woods. I'm going to have come and check out your progress.
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 04-16-2013 12:58 AM

Hey that'd be awesome! You'll need to give me a heads up tho so I can clean up after all the knuckleheads!

Bomp 04-16-2013 12:24 PM

Gotta go where the money is, it'll pay off in the long run.

Your son is really movin on the s10. He will have to do a small blurb on the v8 install.

Don't work too hard. Gotta save some energy for the truck.

americanthunder 04-26-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 5982326)
With a little love I think the seat foam will make it. I've all along thought I would do a full vinyl cover like this one but I haven't ruled out one like DeserCat's but in a black/grey houndstooth and black vinyl. Whatchya think??? I really like the full vinyl better but cloth is more comfortable....

Great progress man...I have been pondering the seat thing and here in AZ I dont think Vinyl will be the right choice. I want my truck to look exactly like the last picture except I think I want the houndstooth insert to be gray or similar. Who makes that cover? Like you ol boogs seat is shot right down to the frame and requires a complete rebuild! Keep up the great work! :metal:

jlsanborn 05-13-2013 08:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Need help with a quick decision here. The Boy comes home with an M21 close ratio box the other day and wants to sell it. He's willing to trade me straight across for my rebuilt M20 wide ratio. I'm done with mine and if I swapped I'd be looking at another rebuild kit ($150-$200). I had to modify my shifter arms for my shift shafts and with this box I'd prolly be looking at a set of those ($100???). I originally just plain wanted the close ratio but after I found my M20 and thought about it for a while I decided that the wide ratio might be more practical anyways so I went for it. He wants this sucker on Craigslist tomorrow! What do you think I oughtta do!? Is $300 and another gear oil fight worth going close ratio? Is the wide ratio what I want anyway? Ughhhh!

jlsanborn 05-13-2013 10:54 PM

Bear in mind that I'm 3.08 open diff now and already plan on changing that out, so I'll gear to match either.

Bomp 05-13-2013 11:22 PM

I'd go for it but thats just me.

I like doing things 7 or 8 times. That way I kinda get better at something.

You can always sell it if you change your mind.

Low Elco 05-13-2013 11:49 PM

I know nothing, but it looks cool! Which is gonna be better for street driving? Where did he steal the other one from? Do they know he did it? You gotta teach kids these things, John! Have fun!

jlsanborn 06-11-2013 12:52 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hey, I DID STUFF!! I've been walking past this pile-of-truck like 100 times a day, been active on here and now I'm seeing like at LEAST one badass '67-'72 rolling around every day. Life, money and all the usual buiz has gotten between me and my project but DAMN IT I want to finish and drive this thing. I tried out that Van Sickle tractor paint stuff from the local "feed" store. I used the optional catalyst and a touch of thinner and think it layed down sweet. Can't see it all in the pics but I did the bed rails and all the bumper brackets that I cleaned and epoxied like a YEAR ago. Just wanna get that crap done and outta the fun-dome so I can get back to the panel work and SOMEDAY paint! Oh, and it's stupid to spray in flip-flops!

jlsanborn 06-11-2013 01:05 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Paint Prison =

There's three versions of paint prison....

#1 You have it all sorted out... color, stripes, trim, etc... but it costs an azz-lode to have it done and you ain't got the moohla or you found a sweet side-job deal and the dude can't get to it for like a year.

#2 You are going to do it yourself but you don't have the space, the equipment or the skills and tear your ride down for eternity with no hope of making it what you want.

#3 You are going to do it yourself. You have the space, the equipment and reasonable skills to get it done but the materials are hella exensive and you've spent a jillion hours getting it to the point that you could really screw stuff up and you're CHICKEN $HIT to bite the bullit and SHOOT IT (that's me).

Just look at these photos! You painters out there would have it snappy in like one day from here but I'm tripping over the crap. UGHHH! Not shown are the grille, cowl and tail gate, all of which are ready for minor minor slickin and paint.

Low Elco 06-11-2013 01:22 AM

Spraying in flip flops. BAHAhaha!

Hail, son, you on the downhill side. I call BS on the being scared. You rebuilt a damn 4-speed in the kitchen sink! A gov-bomb twice!

John, seriously, get a block and just get in there. Do your tailgate, start to finish. That will remove the mystery and fear. How does an ant eat an elephant? Get to eatin!
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 06-11-2013 01:30 AM

Funniest damn thing I've heard since forever!!! Thanks!
ant eatin an elephant... get eatin