The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Flat tappet lifters (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=850938)

Ziegelsteinfaust 02-25-2024 02:59 PM

Flat tappet lifters

I recently decided I am going to keep the big block in my Plan D truck. A week ago I scored a edelbrock intake, good heads, and a old Crane 272 cam.

The lifters were not stored in a way to be able to reuse.

So obviously Crane is no longer around.

Which brands of lifters are considered the best now?

Are Rhoads lifters worth over double the price vs Comp cams?

AussieinNC 02-25-2024 06:31 PM

Re: Flat tappet lifters

If you are interested in longevity of the cam / lifters project, I would recommend you buy a complete Cam and Lifters set, all new.

The reasons are as follows:

The "old Crane 272 cam" is an unknown item with respect to wear and tear run in and general condition.

You have to wonder why lifters were not included? Did they fail? Run dry? poor break in? etc.

If the supplied cam has been run, has it lost the offset angle ground into each lobe to ensure the lifters spin correctly?

Remember, its not only the cam/lifters you need to replace if something goes wrong, you also have gaskets, materials, oil and filter, plus other items.

If the cam chews up the new lifters, the metal dust will go everywhere inside the engine.

Just my 2 cents worth....

:chevy::chevy::chevy:

Ziegelsteinfaust 02-25-2024 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieinNC (Post 9290776)
If you are interested in longevity of the cam / lifters project, I would recommend you buy a complete Cam and Lifters set, all new.

The reasons are as follows:

The "old Crane 272 cam" is an unknown item with respect to wear and tear run in and general condition.

You have to wonder why lifters were not included? Did they fail? Run dry? poor break in? etc.

If the supplied cam has been run, has it lost the offset angle ground into each lobe to ensure the lifters spin correctly?

Remember, its not only the cam/lifters you need to replace if something goes wrong, you also have gaskets, materials, oil and filter, plus other items.

If the cam chews up the new lifters, the metal dust will go everywhere inside the engine.

Just my 2 cents worth....

:chevy::chevy::chevy:

He upgraded everything in one swoop. So these are left over parts. Like I said the lifters were not stored in a way to reuse. They were not organized so i cant use them. Lifters mate to the cam, and can not be switched. Yet i can use new lifters.The cam is fine. I have a budget I need to stick too, and I am looking at areas to cut corners.

Stanco 02-26-2024 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust (Post 9290855)
Yet i can use new lifters.The cam is fine.

Flat tappet lifters have been failing at an alarming rate for the last several years.

Installing new lifters on a used camshaft in a different block will have very poor odds of success.

Ziegelsteinfaust 02-26-2024 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanco (Post 9290859)
Flat tappet lifters have been failing at an alarming rate for the last several years.

Installing new lifters on a used camshaft in a different block will have very poor odds of success.

3 cam companies say it is fine as long as the cam is good.

THI 02-27-2024 10:22 AM

On flat cams I will use only GM lifters, they have a hardened disc on the bottom of the lifter rather than case hardening the lifter body. Have broken in 4 engines in the last three years with these lifters and have had no issues (cams were older new cams still in their box). I am going to roller cams in the future due to poor cam cores available today.

cadillac_al 02-27-2024 03:01 PM

One of the cam companies makes "cam saver" lifters that supposedly flow more oil to the cam. I am considering trying them next time I buy a cam.

weq92f 02-27-2024 05:51 PM

My experience...comp bad...howards good.

YMMV

-klb

Ziegelsteinfaust 02-29-2024 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THI (Post 9291225)
On flat cams I will use only GM lifters, they have a hardened disc on the bottom of the lifter rather than case hardening the lifter body. Have broken in 4 engines in the last three years with these lifters and have had no issues (cams were older new cams still in their box). I am going to roller cams in the future due to poor cam cores available today.

I want to go roller so bad., but the cost kills it. It would cost me almost $2500 due to the parts, and head work.

I need .990 lifters so GMs are to small

Ziegelsteinfaust 02-29-2024 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillac_al (Post 9291307)
One of the cam companies makes "cam saver" lifters that supposedly flow more oil to the cam. I am considering trying them next time I buy a cam.

Just looked those up, and they sound like a good option to keep the cam alive

hjewell2 03-12-2024 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thi (Post 9291225)
on flat cams i will use only gm lifters, they have a hardened disc on the bottom of the lifter rather than case hardening the lifter body. Have broken in 4 engines in the last three years with these lifters and have had no issues (cams were older new cams still in their box). I am going to roller cams in the future due to poor cam cores available today.

bingo!!

Stepside Jim 03-12-2024 10:18 PM

I read the GM lifter suggestion from THI, I've been messing with a different brand lifters trying to solve a ticking noise for some time now.

I found the GM ones at Summit, ordered and installed.

My GM lifters said they were still made in USA.:chevy:

I've got about 100 miles on them now, all is quiet.

Thanks for the suggestion THI.

Myself 03-14-2024 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust (Post 9290855)
He upgraded everything in one swoop. So these are left over parts. Like I said the lifters were not stored in a way to reuse. They were not organized so i cant use them. Lifters mate to the cam, and can not be switched. Yet i can use new lifters.The cam is fine. I have a budget I need to stick too, and I am looking at areas to cut corners.

This is COMPLETE and utter bs that keeps getting repeated through the years. I'd scuff the bottoms with some 400 grit wet paper, clean, and install. Much better bet than trying any new flat tappets. I've personally done it this way several times and I have buddies into dirt tracking and truck pulling that have re-used UNsorted lifters more times than we could possibly even talk about. I might as well go pick all my batteries up off the concrete shop floor before they're ruined while I'm at it :lol::lol:.

cadillac_al 03-15-2024 08:09 PM

I believe Myself. The patterns can't really be that different

burnin oil 03-23-2024 05:12 PM

If it is a solid lifter look for some with EDM oil holes on the face. They put oil on the cam lobe as it runs.