The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Pin (or Pen) Stripe removale (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=180953)

87 GMC 11-23-2005 10:57 PM

Pin (or Pen) Stripe removale

I want to remove the pin stripes on my 89 Chevy, its the one thin on top and one thicker one on the bottom blue ones, there not all in one piece if it matters. How do I go about removing these? I want to restripe it and Im good at striping but I dont know how to remove the old ones. Thanks

rollinlow 11-23-2005 11:17 PM

Re: Pin (or Pen) Stripe removale

most of the time u can get ur fingernail under them and pull on them or you could use a razor blade if your very carful and a heat gun help a lot for both ways and when you get them off take some wax and grease remover to remove the residu or you might be able to get away with using rubbing alchol

70chevc10 11-24-2005 01:28 AM

you can also try to get an eraser wheel. i used it on my car, and it worked pretty good. when i used it, anywhere that it went, it made the paint really dull, but that was because it took the wax off too. i put a coat of wax on and it took that away. if you want to be a little risky go get an enamel reduer for after you get the striping off, and use it before you wax over top. it will finish removing the residue. you just have to be careful not to use too much or else it could damage the paint.

Blue Beard 11-24-2005 08:55 AM

I was told by body shop guys that a hair dryer works.....have patience...

I used it with good results to remove those ugle 4x4 stickers....

Even had a lettering shop tell me they removed stickers like that.

subtle71 01-23-2006 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70chevc10
you can also try to get an eraser wheel. i used it on my car, and it worked pretty good. when i used it, anywhere that it went, it made the paint really dull, but that was because it took the wax off too. i put a coat of wax on and it took that away. if you want to be a little risky go get an enamel reduer for after you get the striping off, and use it before you wax over top. it will finish removing the residue. you just have to be careful not to use too much or else it could damage the paint.

87 GMC,
I agree with 70chevc10. On our company demo trucks, we change the graphics usually about every 12-18 months. I have used a 3M eraser wheel or "banana" wheel about times and it sure beats the finger nail or adhesive remover options. I picked mine up at the local NAPA. Be sure to read the instructions included and use a low speed drill.

Chevrolet4x4s 02-02-2006 08:29 PM

I wouldn't suggest using a heat gun(could damage the paint)I would stick with the hair drier