The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   it this a good deal???? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=222372)

Blizz 01-08-2007 04:44 PM

it this a good deal????

CHEVROLET 350 V8 TBI MOTOR FOR SALE, COMPLETE. THE MOTOR IS A THROTTLE BODY INJECTED MOTOR. YOU GET EVERYTHING INCLUDING THE AC COMPRESSOR AND ECM.
PLEASE CALL CHUCK AT 210-381-9366 OR 210-659-1733

$500....$650 pulled from a 92 chevy van with the computer, wiring harness, relays...everything but the alternator. he mentioned something about needing to put an in-line fuel pump and a tank from a newer truck. what say the good people of this board? mind you...i already have a newer gen 350 in my truck but it's carbed.

pound41 01-08-2007 04:49 PM

Re: it this a good deal????

I would say good deal if throttle body isnt worn. Search for posts by MikeS he put a tpi on his exsisting. Talks about the tank and fuel pump issues.

Critter 01-08-2007 05:15 PM

In my opinion it’s a good deal for all those parts as long as they’re in reasonable shape. A lot of it depends on the mileage of the motor. But what are you looking to do, turn you existing block into a fuel injected engine, or rebuild this engine and put the whole package into your K5?

As far as the fuel tank goes, EFI requires you to make a few changes to your system. Currently you (probably) have only a mechanical fuel pump up on your engine block with one low pressure line between it and the tank. With EFI you would need to remove the pump and put in a high pressure electric unit in (or close to) the fuel tank along with adding a fuel return line from the engine to the tank. Hope some of this helps.

Blizz 01-08-2007 05:41 PM

Oh ok, yeah that makes a lot of sense. I'm not much of a mechanic, I'm a computer guy but I'm learning. I wanted to turn my K5 into EFI for better response and a teeny tiny bit more mileage. I doubt I'm going to get this. If anyone is interested, it's on San Antonio's craigslist.

Chris27 01-08-2007 11:25 PM

That's a decent price IMO. I paid $800Cdn. for my '92 TBI motor. Complete except for wiring harness. I used a tank for a '90 Blazer with the in-tank pump. Once you go injected you'll never go back:)

vtblazer 01-09-2007 04:37 PM

I just bought an entire vehicle for less than that. A 4x4 at that.
Running/driving when I got ahold of it.

My truck is TBI and I was able to part it out and make back some cash.
(most of it)
Another 'good' thing is the serp belt set up you gain. ;)

Buying the entire vehicle gets you the tank with baffles and the internal pump.
Also lets you use or not use anything else that may be worth having.

If your motor is already a roller motor, I'd just find a TBI set up and go from there later.