The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Anyone have pics of their rear air bag setup? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=224436)

Zumo 01-23-2007 12:07 PM

Anyone have pics of their rear air bag setup?

I am gathering parts together to install my bags on the rear of my truck. It's a coils spring setup so any pics would help.

abadsvt 01-23-2007 12:22 PM

Re: Anyone have pics of their rear air bag setup?

1 Attachment(s)
So are you lookin for ideas or more of how others have theres setup? Here is my setup which is a little different that you might be looking for but I am proud of my setup so i will post it anyways:crazy:. So what kind of rear setup where you thinking about going? Trailing arms with bags? 4 link and bags? Anyways good luck with your project:metal:

jimmydean 01-23-2007 12:24 PM

I don't have a pic. I tried to find one because I know 67Fleet posted one of his (mine is the same). I just replaced my coil with the Slam Specialties RE7 bag.

There is the long bolt from the bottom of the trailing arm to the center mounting hole on the bag. Then there is a hole on either side of the center in the top of the arm.

Then there are 2 mounting holes in the spring plate and the 1" hole for the fitting. The hardest part is the hole for the fitting.

<edit> as well you should be proud of that setup, Josh. It's awesome!

I think Zumo is on a budget for his shop rig though.

Zumo 01-23-2007 12:30 PM

Wow. I am only able to go the basic route now, but that is awesome. I am basicly replacing the coil springs with bags.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abadsvt (Post 1999362)
So are you lookin for ideas or more of how others have theres setup? Here is my setup which is a little different that you might be looking for but I am proud of my setup so i will post it anyways:crazy:. So what kind of rear setup where you thinking about going? Trailing arms with bags? 4 link and bags? Anyways good luck with your project:metal:

Slammed67 01-23-2007 02:27 PM

With bolt-in c-notch....

http://www.jayspot.com/images/truck/ride-height.jpg

Zumo 01-23-2007 02:38 PM

Are you pretty happy with that setup. I plan on a bolt in C-notch as well, but later on. I want to get the bags up and running right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slammed67 (Post 1999501)

jimmydean 01-23-2007 03:23 PM

If you don't do the notch right now, the axle will be too close to the frame. I used a cup on the top that has a hole in the side for the hose. i will see if i can get a picture tonight.

With the 3" cup, at full dump the axle is resting on the factory bump stop. I will take the cup out once I get the notch installed and I trim my front cup.

The cups I used in the rear are the ones with a single bolt. I threaded the bolt and cut it down, it is mounted to the top spring retaining hole. Again, I will try and get a picture so it make sense.

[IMG]http://www.*****************/images/products/S10_Single_Port_Bolt_In_Front_Cups.jpg[/IMG]

Zumo 01-23-2007 03:42 PM

I have cups also. Thanks Jimmy.

bagged74 01-23-2007 10:43 PM

heres mine. I built new trailing arms to get a little more drop.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...d74/frame8.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...rear5Small.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...rame9Small.jpg

64hotrod 01-23-2007 11:11 PM

Where did you guys get your bags from? I want to order front and back but I want to make sure I order right the first time. Thanks for any info.

jimmydean 01-23-2007 11:42 PM

I would get everything from Suicide Doors if you are looking for a basic bag setup. The guys there know what they are doing and the price is the best I've found.

They have a "build your own kit" page that lets you pick everything but the brackets and fittings.

n2billet 01-25-2007 07:15 PM

Here's mine on my red 68, bags bolted directly to the frame and trailing arm, 2 inch blocks and welded in c-notch......

SCOTI 01-25-2007 08:51 PM

Zumo.... I might be able to help you get a 'budget' rear set-up going if you need some help. Budget means bags, DOT air line, & schrader valves for filling. Cheaper than the full nine yards & effective.

64hotrod 01-25-2007 09:24 PM

Thanks jimmydean, I'll check them out.

SlammedDime 01-28-2007 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n2billet (Post 2002847)
Here's mine on my red 68, bags bolted directly to the frame and trailing arm, 2 inch blocks and welded in c-notch......

Forgive my ignorance on the early style trucks and why you guys do as you do, but based on that picture, it looks as if your axle is just about bottomed out in your notch, and the bag isn't fully compressed. Why not remove that 2" block to allow the bag to compress more and allow yourself to get more lift?

jimmydean 01-28-2007 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlammedDime (Post 2006291)
Forgive my ignorance on the early style trucks and why you guys do as you do, but based on that picture, it looks as if your axle is just about bottomed out in your notch, and the bag isn't fully compressed. Why not remove that 2" block to allow the bag to compress more and allow yourself to get more lift?

If I'm not mistaken, that bag is aired out about as far as it goes. The internal bump stops keep the bag from going too much flatter.

Alvin 01-28-2007 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlammedDime (Post 2006291)
Why not remove that 2" block to allow the bag to compress more and allow yourself to get more lift?

Also by running the 2" blocks you can achieve a ride height (set @ optimal bag height) that is 2" lower than if you didn't have the blocks.

In effect, your making use of the additional clearance provided by the c-notch all the time, and not just when you're aired out.

SCOTI 01-28-2007 12:34 PM

Without the block, to acheive a drop equal to 7" requires almost no air pressure in the bag which makes for a 'choppy' ride. By using the blocks for additional drop, you need more air in the bags getting closer to optimal pressures for the best over-all ride.

poorboy 01-28-2007 01:01 PM

What is the optimal pressue?

jimmydean 01-28-2007 01:14 PM

It depends on your truck, but the optimal ride height for an RE7 Slam Specialties bag is 5" (IIRC). That is about 60psi in the front and 35psi in the rear on my truck. I know that makes for a nice ride at least.

SCOTI 01-28-2007 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poorboy (Post 2006577)
What is the optimal pressue?

I'm not sure if there is one answer for this question. Like Jimmydean, my Beater likes 35psi out back. Less than 30psi & it really is noticed.

SlammedDime 01-28-2007 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmydean (Post 2006301)
If I'm not mistaken, that bag is aired out about as far as it goes. The internal bump stops keep the bag from going too much flatter.

I've seen firestone bags compressed far more than that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alvin (Post 2006390)
Also by running the 2" blocks you can achieve a ride height (set @ optimal bag height) that is 2" lower than if you didn't have the blocks.

In effect, your making use of the additional clearance provided by the c-notch all the time, and not just when you're aired out.

I do understand that, but perhaps I'm just used to seeing people wanting to get the most possible lift. Rarely do I see guys setting up their bags so that their ride height will be at the bags design height.

madiron 01-28-2007 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlammedDime (Post 2006849)
I've seen firestone bags compressed far more than that.

I do understand that, but perhaps I'm just used to seeing people wanting to get the most possible lift. Rarely do I see guys setting up their bags so that their ride height will be at the bags design height.

i think they are slam bags with the internal stops im pretty sure firestones compress more than slams

Alvin 01-28-2007 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlammedDime (Post 2006849)
Rarely do I see guys setting up their bags so that their ride height will be at the bags design height.

I suppose that's the difference between some of us and most of the mini-truckin' / frame draggin' crowd:rice: ? :bowtie:

Sometimes it's all about the "show" side of it, and in that case an absurd amount of lift might be your thing (especially if you body drop it or something). But I just want to have a decent ride at a low height. No dragging or laying frame for me! :cool:

Slammed67 01-28-2007 05:34 PM

Quote:

Rarely do I see guys setting up their bags so that their ride height will be at the bags design height.
Yeah, why would anyone want to design their air suspension correctly? :crazy:

The min. height of a Firestone double convoluted bag is 3".