The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Tried My New Sandblasting Attachment For Pressure Washer Today (pics) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=259185)

red69ss 09-20-2007 11:41 AM

Tried My New Sandblasting Attachment For Pressure Washer Today (pics)

5 Attachment(s)
I Saw This In A Thread The Other Day By Jorgensensc And Went To Northern Hydralics And Bought One It Was $62 And Well Worth It I Have A Sandblaster But Hate Dealing With Dust And Having To Suit-up, This Did Still Throw Sand On Me But Nothing Like Sand Blaster ,I Just Had TO WEAR Safety Glasses,as You Can See From Last Pic I'm Going To Need This. It Easily Removed Paint But Was A Little Slower On Rust (about Same As Regular Blaster) ,But This Fender Was Extremely Rusty.

BET68 09-20-2007 11:52 AM

Re: Tried My New Sandblasting Attachment For Pressure Washer Today (pics)

:flagw: :flagw: I'M ON MY WAY TO NORTHERN

ABN82MP 09-20-2007 12:06 PM

Is this the same thing Lou was using on Muscle Car a few weeks back?

What kind of media can you use? Regular sand? I know on Muscle Car they were using "Black Beauty" to blast with, but if you could use play sand and not have to worry about silicosis that would be nice...

Jim_PA 09-20-2007 12:09 PM

How long did it to take you to do that spot on the fender, and what PSI is your pressure washer? I have an entire bed that needs done (well, the sides and floor of the bed anyway). This looks promising if it doesn't warp the metal, and didn't take you 20 minutes to do that little spot :)

Robznob11 09-20-2007 12:39 PM

maby with the water the heat might not be an issue but every one i know recommends not to use sand on body panels it it too agressive and warps sheet metal, also on the play sand quote don't know why u would worry about silica the water keeps that out thats the point of the tool, also just for genral info my local cmt mixers sells a yard of sand for 20 bucks thats what i used in my kids box (5 yards) any how i did not see very many rocks or impuritys in it and i mean like hardly none besides most blasters filter via a screen

ABN82MP 09-20-2007 12:57 PM

I was thinking with the water it would keep the heat from building up and not warp anything.

Also the water was my point with the silicosis...

red71cheyenne 09-20-2007 01:15 PM

So is the sand siphon feed? Does the metal end up really wet? Just wondering about the rust coming back due to the water...

72BlckButy 09-20-2007 01:41 PM

Looks like one heck of a good deal... I might have to make my way to northern as well....

red69ss 09-20-2007 01:51 PM

I Screened Play Sand And It Does Siphon Feed ,you Can Use Several Different Types Of Media It Had A List With It ,the Fender Did End Up Really Wet But If You Primered Soon After Cleaning This Shouldn't Be A Problem ,of Course After It Dries. It Only Took 3 Or 4 Minutes To Blast That Small Section If You Didn't Have Heavy Rust It Would Go Pretty Fast I Have A Troybilt 2600 Psi Press. Washer It Stated 1500 Psi Min. ,3500 Psi Max ,and I Do Believe Water Should Stop Warping.

jorgensensc 09-20-2007 01:56 PM

Glad you like it! I think it is awesome too. Sorry I didn't get to post any pics of the stuff I did, I have been woring like a mad man to get the engine back in my truck by tomorrow night. Almost got the floor patches done so I can install everything else. I will be blasting a 68 front grill that was painted with housepaint next week, I can't wait to see how it does!
Shawn

Ackattack 09-20-2007 02:25 PM

I wish I would have seen this attachment before I bought my sandblaster and blasted my frame. I could have gotten a new power washer out of the deal, and not have the mess of sand blasting to deal with, and probably would have taken a lot less time. Oh well...next time :)

BHRS 09-20-2007 03:45 PM

I used this similiar setup to blast my Edelbrock intake manifold-worked great. I already had a blasting kit for my air compressor with a handy plastic container with bottom discharge and a strainer on top...I just hooked up the hose for the pressure washer to it and it WORKS.

LUV2XCLR8 09-20-2007 03:53 PM

:hmm: I may need to invest in one of those :gi:

cstanley 09-20-2007 06:39 PM

i'm also interested...
it would seem that the water would keep the sand from flying everywhere. can you snap some more pics of it in use/set up?

earl87gta 09-20-2007 06:50 PM

I would like to see how well it does on a frame. I need to have my frame done and this may be an option.

72GMCburban 09-20-2007 06:56 PM

northern, is that like northern tools....I don't know of a northern hydralics...anyone

cory321 09-20-2007 07:02 PM

yes northern tools sells them

cstanley 09-20-2007 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72GMCburban (Post 2367912)
northern, is that like northern tools....I don't know of a northern hydralics...anyone

here's one at northern tool
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6970_8520_8520

and a heavier duty one
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...2963_200322963
which doesn't seem as popular.

good reviews on the $62 one, though.

Jim_PA 09-20-2007 07:39 PM

I can't figure out how it injects the sand into the nozzle on the pressure washer... How's this thing work?

red69ss 09-20-2007 08:55 PM

72gmc sorry I believe it used to be called northen hydraulics,...cstanley I don't know when I'll be using it again but you just use it like you would pressure washer and have other end of hose in bucket of screened sand (or other media) far enough away it doesn't get wet and it does still throw sand on you it bounces off or at least it did on me today,.....earl87 I plan on using it on my frame it should clean fine,.....jim pa I think water going thru nozzle creates suction and draws sand in and mixes with water and comes out at high pressure

wibilly 09-20-2007 10:35 PM

i have one too i used it on a set of nasty steele wheels. i used black beuaty. it had to be screaned but was extreamly fast. my powerwasher is 3500 psi and 4gpm so that helps .it is as messy as sand blasting but without the dust. metal must be dried and coated because it will orange up imideitly. i haven't tried it on body panels but if you do stay back. i would sugest trying it on a junk panel first

73stepside 09-20-2007 11:03 PM

Jim_PA it works off the venturi principle. high flow or air or fluid through a nozzle will inturn create a vacuum if you tap off of it.

Jim_PA 09-21-2007 07:39 AM

Looks pretty cool thanks

earl87gta 09-21-2007 06:40 PM

I may have to give that thing a try before I take the frame to the sandblaster.

AusMarty 09-21-2007 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABN82MP (Post 2367565)
I was thinking with the water it would keep the heat from building up and not warp anything.

Also the water was my point with the silicosis...

Sandblasting is like hitting your panels with a ball pein hammer thousands of times and when you do that it stretches the panel which is what causes the warpage, I hand strip the main part of the panel and blast around the edges