The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Brake Master Question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=305195)

Wilson_ 09-02-2008 05:15 AM

Brake Master Question

I have a question about my truck I just bought. Its a 67 gmc 2wd shortbed. It has disk brakes in the front and I was told that it did not come equipped with them from the factory. It does not have a booster and the brake master is leaking, can I just buy a brake master for a 67 with out a booster?

Thanks for your help

tommypic 09-02-2008 05:20 AM

Re: Brake Master Question

The master cylinders are the same if I remember correct , just go to parts house tell them its for a 67-72 . they will want to know if its got disk . hope this helps

Wilson_ 09-02-2008 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommypic (Post 2872970)
The master cylinders are the same if I remember correct , just go to parts house tell them its for a 67-72 . they will want to know if its got disk . hope this helps

Thanks for the reply, I guess I worded the question wrong. My truck has disks on the front. Do I have to use the booster? Because It does not have one right now.

Thanks again

Sport/Truck 09-02-2008 06:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson_ (Post 2872973)
Thanks for the reply, I guess I worded the question wrong. My truck has disks on the front. Do I have to use the booster? Because It does not have one right now.

Thanks again

No, you don't have to use one.

(here's an idea for your avatar:lol: )

s/t

Longhorn Man 09-02-2008 08:10 AM

no you do not need a booster, millions of disk brake vehicles have been built without it.
You DO need to figure out what master cylinder you have, becouse a drum/drum master cylinder is NOT the same as a disk/drum master cylinder.

myoldchevytruck 09-02-2008 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson_ (Post 2872967)
I have a question about my truck I just bought. Its a 67 gmc 2wd shortbed. It has disk brakes in the front and I was told that it did not come equipped with them from the factory. It does not have a booster and the brake master is leaking, can I just buy a brake master for a 67 with out a booster?

Thanks for your help

Do you have any pics of the setup currently in your truck now?

sneakysnake 09-02-2008 10:42 AM

With discs up front I'd lean towards you needing a 71-72 but its possible that it may be newer than that. You should be able to take it to a parts store and match it.

MrBeast 09-02-2008 10:49 AM

If I was in your shoes, I would get a BMC for a 72 with front discs, that way you know it is going to work, does your truck have 5 lugs or 6?

Wilson_ 09-02-2008 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longhorn Man (Post 2873068)
no you do not need a booster, millions of disk brake vehicles have been built without it.
You DO need to figure out what master cylinder you have, becouse a drum/drum master cylinder is NOT the same as a disk/drum master cylinder.

The PO said that the rear end was changed to a 72 (the rear end has leaf springs not coils) so maybe they switched the front end too?
not sure

Quote:

Originally Posted by myoldchevytruck (Post 2873159)
Do you have any pics of the setup currently in your truck now?

I will get some asap

Quote:

Originally Posted by sneakysnake (Post 2873203)
With discs up front I'd lean towards you needing a 71-72 but its possible that it may be newer than that. You should be able to take it to a parts store and match it.

LOL the parts stores IE kragen and auto zone do not have the smartest people working there, but thanks I will look around and see what I can find

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBeast (Post 2873207)
If I was in your shoes, I would get a BMC for a 72 with front discs, that way you know it is going to work, does your truck have 5 lugs or 6?

Is the 72 MC/with booster a bolt on ordeal? It is 5 lug all around

Thanks for all your help guys!!!:metal::alc:

Wilson_ 09-02-2008 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sport/Truck (Post 2873012)
No, you don't have to use one.

(here's an idea for your avatar:lol: )

s/t

I had that on another forum, and the pic was soo small the mods thought it wass a ballsac

MrBeast 09-02-2008 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson_ (Post 2873537)
Is the 72 MC/with booster a bolt on ordeal? It is 5 lug all around

Thanks for all your help guys!!!:metal::alc:

If it is a 5 lug it has been converted to a 70-72, so the mc will work well with them because it is all OE equipment, 67-69's were 6 lugs in a 2wd.

Wilson_ 09-02-2008 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBeast (Post 2873581)
If it is a 5 lug it has been converted to a 70-72, so the mc will work well with them because it is all OE equipment, 67-69's were 6 lugs in a 2wd.

Sweet, just what I wanted to hear!!!

I will pick one up asap!

Next question, will i need to get a new proportioning valve?

Thanks

Here are the pics that were asked for
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/...C/DSC_7057.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/...C/DSC_7059.jpg

Wilson_ 09-03-2008 06:23 AM

I have another question
in the pic above there are studs going threw to the engine bay side
on the 72 master/w booster it is opposite they go into the cab
http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/ge.../501125-01.jpg

how do I go about mounting it? the studs would just hit each other. or do i have the wrong pic?

Thanks

Wilson_ 09-03-2008 06:43 AM

ok I have been digging around looking at pics and it looks like I need a bracket or spacer of some sort
As seen in this pic
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ruck0004-1.jpg

Is this correct??

Thanks

truckdude239 09-03-2008 07:21 AM

yes you will need that bracket, check out the parts board as that is where everyone sells there stuff. or pay for a 25 buxs membership here which is good for a year and go over to the parts board and post a wtb over there. just remenber guys any selling in this thread will get it locked :) i hope i helped

MrBeast 09-03-2008 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckdude239 (Post 2874533)
yes you will need that bracket, check out the parts board as that is where everyone sells there stuff. or pay for a 25 buxs membership here which is good for a year and go over to the parts board and post a wtb over there. just remenber guys any selling in this thread will get it locked :) i hope i helped

That is spot on, you will need that bracket, the best thing you really can do is either find somthing here on the board, or go junkyard hopping and find all the goodies you will need.

tommypic 09-03-2008 08:25 AM

Wilson that will be the best 25$ you ever spent . I know I have learned alot on here and its worth that to keep this site up . O yea like truckdude239 you will need the brackets . here is a link to member selling what you need http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...oster+brackets

msgross 09-03-2008 08:27 AM

they sell those combo booster/mc at autozone. I think they require a core charge if you don't have a rusty one to turn in. The combo package was only like $10 more than the booster itself. You will need to find the booster bracket with push rod for the pedal too...

gn4u2c2 had some for sale on the parts board...