The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Feedback from the Flatout C4 users (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=309046)

Longstep70 10-03-2008 01:17 PM

Feedback from the Flatout C4 users

I've been looking into the Flatout Engineering C4 suspension setup for the front of my '59 and i see there are a handful of guys on here who have used it. my question is - how low does it go? Does it lay out?

-Andy

PBFAB.COM 10-03-2008 02:21 PM

Re: Feedback from the Flatout C4 users

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longstep70 (Post 2914740)
I've been looking into the Flatout Engineering C4 suspension setup for the front of my '59 and i see there are a handful of guys on here who have used it. my question is - how low does it go? Does it lay out?

-Andy

It's a quality product and great for those looking for the C4 conversion on a tri-five truck. I am not sure on how low you can get them. I have installed a couple, and they are made for a coil-over. The crossmember can always be trimmed a little to set it higher in the frame, but I always thought the ride height was a little higher than I would have liked.

Longstep70 10-03-2008 04:50 PM

Awesome, i was hoping you would contribute Nate. Thank you. I saw that the Dropmember C4 sat higher than the regular flavor Dropmember and since i hadn't seen any super low pics from the Flatout guys I wasn't sure how low it would go. I'd assumed I'd have to use a Shockwave to bag it with the C4 setup. While i have your attention, what have been the obstacles on the Dropmember for the 55-59 trucks? I have a 59 now and money burning a hole in my pocket but i dont want to go the M2 route for the front.
i know i could go the Camaro clip route but I'd like to go R&P while I'm doing all that work.

-Andy

PBFAB.COM 10-03-2008 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longstep70 (Post 2914965)
Awesome, i was hoping you would contribute Nate. Thank you. I saw that the Dropmember C4 sat higher than the regular flavor Dropmember and since i hadn't seen any super low pics from the Flatout guys I wasn't sure how low it would go. I'd assumed I'd have to use a Shockwave to bag it with the C4 setup. While i have your attention, what have been the obstacles on the Dropmember for the 55-59 trucks? I have a 59 now and money burning a hole in my pocket but i dont want to go the M2 route for the front.
i know i could go the Camaro clip route but I'd like to go R&P while I'm doing all that work.

-Andy

The obstacles of making a Dropmember for the tri-fives is the trac-width and frame width. To get the truck down low, and have the wheels tuck enough to get good steering clearance, the rails would have to come up and be narrowed. I have a 57 chassis in the shop right now that we are doing a weld-in front and rear section. It will be riding at 5.5" and set-up on coil-overs. I should have it all finished up by the end of next week and will send you some pics. I do have plans of figuring out a front end for these trucks that would be easily installed by the end user.... just hasn't been enough time in the day!

Longstep70 10-03-2008 07:50 PM

Yeah, I know you're busy. I'd love to see those pics when you have them - thanks very much for the offer.
I read that the 58/59 front fenders are wider and give a little more room for tucking the wheels but i haven't measured enough to get hard numbers.
I'm kind of at a crossroads right now. I want this truck to get down low but I'd like to get the R&P if possible. If not I guess I'll just go down the Camaro route.
I sold my 68 Camaro to finance my trucks ( I bought a 68 too but I decided to keep that running as a parts runner while i bag and EFi the 59) so I'm familiar with just how much aftermarket cool stuff is out there if i went with a Camaro clip. I could easily get C5 brakes and a nice new steering box to get a better feel.