The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rustoleum Spray on Bed liner (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=355902)

'68 C-20 08-02-2009 07:55 PM

Rustoleum Spray on Bed liner

I have rust on my frame. Now I know most of us do!n:waah:

Problem is it sits for long periods of time outdoors. The undercarriage was originally sprayed with a rustproofing at the dealer and it has held up well considering. But over the last year or so it has begun to flake off. With all the rain we have had this year in the Northeast there is more surface rust starting than it had over the last couple of years.

Sooo, I need a temporary fix to slow down the rust until I get ready to actually begin to tear it down and do it right.

I am thinking of brushing the loose scale and using the Rustoleum Spray on Bed Liner product on the frame and undercarriage.

Any one done this? Is it as good or better than Rubberized undercoating?

63 & 64 Bowties 08-02-2009 09:22 PM

Re: Rustoleum Spray on Bed liner

In my opinion, run from it. It's junk. I tried it once on an old beater truck I had inside the bed and I couldn't believe how thin it went on. Being it's called bed liner I expected it to be at least a LITTLE thicker than regular Rust Oleum, but I actually think it went on thinner.

GruntMoanCough 08-02-2009 09:26 PM

IMO, a rubberized undercoat would be more effective, as it has rust inhibiters in it.

Longhorn Man 08-02-2009 09:43 PM

a light surface rust is nothing to be afraid of on the frame. If it sits... and is not driven in the salt and brine in the winter, then I'd leave it alone. You'll have more work into removing the bed liner stuff than you will removing rust. Besides, you need to remove the rust tto put on any bedliner anyways.

mclairmo 08-02-2009 09:48 PM

You could spray oil all over everything. That will keep the water and rsut away from it.

special-K 08-03-2009 05:58 AM

Covering therust is a bad thing.It`s better left exposed to the air.If you do anything,brush it down and coat with a spray lube or Permatex Rust Treatment.

When you go to use a self applied bedliner,in a proper application,give Dupli-Color spray on.I`ve used that and it`s good stuff.I`ve had it on a set of ladder racks for a couple years.It has a real nice texture that looks better than most professional coatings.

72gmguy 08-03-2009 06:57 AM

get a can of rust converter like eastwoods brand or por 15. you can paint on over the rust and it chemically converts it.