The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   LMC Truck repair panels?? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=361351)

Bugeyev8 09-06-2009 02:57 AM

LMC Truck repair panels??

Has anyone here used the front fender lower repair panels from LMC truck ??

I ordered a set and they are complete crap, I could have made a better panel with a rock as a form, cheap thin china metal

where do I get quality repair panels ??? or is this all I have to look forward to??

Thanks For any advise you can lend me

63 & 64 Bowties 09-06-2009 07:00 AM

Re: LMC Truck repair panels??

They get their body parts from the same place most companies do. What's the name on the box, Goodmark or something like that? I can't remember the name right now, but I think that's it.
About the middle of this page, you'll see the board's vendor list. You might want to contact some of these fine folks to see if they have body parts from a different manufacturer.

protrash64 09-06-2009 10:35 AM

I have seen this discussion in different places on the Board and in a nutshell, it appears that there are only 2 or 3 places that re-pop this stuff. I agree with you about the quality as I have put time and work into a brand new fender to make it more presentable.

I think Bowties was looking for 'Counterpart'......what I like to call 'Counterfit' parts:lol:

Bugeyev8 09-06-2009 12:00 PM

what a shame we can't get american made parts for out vintage trucks...18 gauge !!! this truck is 14 gauge or thicker !! I measured over 2mm on the front fender, I guess I will use what I have but it will take longer fixing them that it would take for me to beat the new parts myself, Thanks everyone for the help

Eagar1 09-06-2009 12:13 PM

Great thread, as the only rust I have is in the same place, but I am hoping to be able to patch the holes with thicker metal, since the lips are still intact.

63 & 64 Bowties 09-06-2009 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protrash64 (Post 3504391)
I think Bowties was looking for 'Counterpart'......what I like to call 'Counterfit' parts:lol:

That's it. Wow, I wasn't even close. :lol:

MXmaniac 09-06-2009 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeyev8 (Post 3504474)
what a shame we can't get american made parts for out vintage trucks...18 gauge !!! this truck is 14 gauge or thicker !! I measured over 2mm on the front fender, I guess I will use what I have but it will take longer fixing them that it would take for me to beat the new parts myself, Thanks everyone for the help

I got some 18 gauge patch panels at a swap meet and they're the exact same thickness as the stock sheetmetal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MailManX2 (Post 3504628)
14 gage? Holy smokes, that's not sheet metal, that's armor plate..

:agree:

protrash64 09-06-2009 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties (Post 3504885)
That's it. Wow, I wasn't even close. :lol:

I think they just box the counterfit parts in their box:lol:

Captainfab 09-07-2009 12:57 AM

I agree that it is sad that we can't get US made replacement parts for our trucks. Even though all the parts are made in China, some are better than others. I've bought patch panels and body parts from Classic Parts, and of those parts about half of them were what I would call acceptable and didn't require reworking. These were made by Tri-Pro Automotive. Some guys say that having to rework the part is acceptable, but I guess I'm just picky. From what I've seen and heard from others, Tri-Pro has about the best parts of all the suppliers.

I have found that most of the body sheetmetal on these older trucks is 18ga, and 1mm I believe is right there if not a hair thicker. I didn't believe it either until I got out the dial calipers and measured for myself.

mbgmike 09-07-2009 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 3505621)
I agree that it is sad that we can't get US made replacement parts for our trucks. Even though all the parts are made in China, some are better than others. I've bought patch panels and body parts from Classic Parts, and of those parts about half of them were what I would call acceptable and didn't require reworking. These were made by Tri-Pro Automotive. Some guys say that having to rework the part is acceptable, but I guess I'm just picky. From what I've seen and heard from others, Tri-Pro has about the best parts of all the suppliers.

I have found that most of the body sheetmetal on these older trucks is 18ga, and 1mm I believe is right there if not a hair thicker. I didn't believe it either until I got out the dial calipers and measured for myself.

Do you mean TriPlus? Actually most all the board vendors here sell the exact same parts from the same MFG. Tri-Pro included.

mbgmike 09-07-2009 12:24 PM

most body panels are 18 - 19 guage or even thinner on newer vehicles.
I have never seen a 14 gauge 1.6 mm on a fender on these trucks.
my trailer has 14 guage fenders

collins10672 09-07-2009 05:26 PM

if you want usa made repair panels for the 60-66 chevy trucks,there is a couple of places you can get them.first try tabco located in chesterland ohio they make their own panels here in the good ole usa.second try surplus supply also located in the ohio,they sell the tabco panels and another line of made in usa panels that are in raw steel that have not been primed.these panels are as thick as the gm sheetmetal.i have seen these panels in person at swap meets and they are not like the thin foreign crap most companies sell.both of these companies have websites so do a google search.good luck panel hunting.hope i have been of some help.

Bugeyev8 09-07-2009 06:56 PM

Thanks for all the help...since the repair panels were crap...I just sectioned 2 fenders I had here together, one with a good rear and one with a good front..the cab floor panels I will try the suppliers above and see what I get !

Bugeyev8 09-07-2009 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagar1 (Post 3504489)
Great thread, as the only rust I have is in the same place, but I am hoping to be able to patch the holes with thicker metal, since the lips are still intact.

wait till you get inside the fenders...the whole thing is usually rusted to shi*

mbgmike 09-08-2009 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by collins10672 (Post 3506539)
if you want usa made repair panels for the 60-66 chevy trucks,there is a couple of places you can get them.first try tabco located in chesterland ohio they make their own panels here in the good ole usa.second try surplus supply also located in the ohio,they sell the tabco panels and another line of made in usa panels that are in raw steel that have not been primed.these panels are as thick as the gm sheetmetal.i have seen these panels in person at swap meets and they are not like the thin foreign crap most companies sell.both of these companies have websites so do a google search.good luck panel hunting.hope i have been of some help.

We used to sell Tabco. They have issues as well. We had trouble getting customers to buy them cause they cost more. actually they are the same gauge as TriPlus. Actually some of their 66 panels were thicker than original but is that really an issue?

mbgmike 09-08-2009 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MailManX2 (Post 3506591)
I bought Tabco panels when I first got my truck because I had read they were made in the USA and fit really well. What Tabco sent me was nothing more than garbage. The floor pans they sent me looked like they had been cut from a wreck. All bent up. The kick panels were not the same as a 60-66 and were for a 68-72. The rear floor pan sections were also for a 68-72. The front cab mounts were marked left and right but were both rights. The rocker panels looked OK but when test fitting they had been trimmed too short so they weren't high enough on the A and B pillar. The rear cab mounts and cab corners looked OK.

I called about the quality of the parts and during the numerous conversations with Tabco they told me the dies for the floor pans had been damaged in the past but they continued to use it. Also the floor pans, cab mounts and kick panels were actually for a 68-72 Chevy truck, I have a 60 Chevy truck. On the front cab mount they told me that's the way they sell them and to just cut and weld them onto the old mounts. They kept promising to send me replacement floor pans and after almost a year they did. They were almost as bad and the first set of crap they sent me and are still sitting in the box. I ended up buying Tri-Plus parts and they are a lot better than the crap Tabco sent me. I didn't see any difference in the gage of the metal between the Tabco and Tri-Plus.

http://www.homesteaders.us/floorsection1.jpg

Tabco floor pan on top, Tri-Plus on the bottom.. The Tri-Plus panel wasn't perfect but it didn't take too much work to install it. The biggest problem with the Tri-Plus panel were the holes for the cab mount bolts being off a little bit.

I'd rather buy something made in the USA any day of the week but I wasted over $300 on Tabco and their made in USA panels.

I agree. We have done many floors as we do this for a living. We sell parts and the TriPlus panel you have is a real good fitting part. We have installed these and had very little problem with the holes. But one thing we learned along time ago is every ruck is a little differant. There AIN'T one of these trucks that are exactly like the previous one we did. They are all a little differant. All any one has to do is try and make a part and see how well it fits another truck.

Captainfab 09-09-2009 01:41 AM

Yes Mike I meant TriPlus. Sorry for any confusion......what can I say.....it was late :o

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbgmike (Post 3506013)
Do you mean TriPlus? Actually most all the board vendors here sell the exact same parts from the same MFG. Tri-Pro included.

collins10672 09-09-2009 01:54 PM

try the schott's brand lower fender tips.they stamp front fender sections,lower inner and outer door skins,cab corners,fleetside bedside sections and etc.do not order their rocker panels as they are a cap style only.i've seen their bedside sections,and lower door skin sections and i was kind of impressed with those,very thick gauge like original.schott's does not sell to the public,they are a wholesale only company.their parts are left in raw steel and are not primed or zinc coated.classic parts of america sells a few of their parts.surplus supply sells the whole line of parts.you can have a few problems with parts from any patch panel company.trim and fit accordingly.good luck.

kev2809 09-10-2009 07:08 PM

i bought my cup from brothers, and not bash or anything but it fit like crap. took a lot of shaping and some filler work to get it to fit right. actually, it seems like those cups are only made to replace from the body line down, even though it comes with the welded in nut on the inside part. if i had to do it again, i wouldnt use the whole thing, just the body line down. and i actually did the same "make 2 out of 1" method, but i still needed the cup. took some work but i think it came out ok.