The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Anyone in the 10's still on stock front suspension? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=385570)

DragHammer 02-07-2010 06:47 PM

Anyone in the 10's still on stock front suspension?

Yes Im new... but i have been reading all the posts and this board is AWESOME!!! Im in the process of building a 67 truck and was if any of you faster guys still had stock a-arms and crossmember?
or how you may have modified them?
again this board RULZ!

71Dragtruck 02-07-2010 06:57 PM

Re: Anyone in the 10's still on stock front suspension?

I did 2 years ago, now it just has drag shocks, drop spindles, tubular arms, and dual piston calipers, Not much off stock as far as setup.

DragHammer 02-07-2010 08:15 PM

Who's spindle and tubular a-arms did you use?

Super73 02-07-2010 10:10 PM

I haven't done it yet (11.28), but I'm sure the truck will do it next time out.. If all goes well, I'm hoping to go 11.4-11.5 on motor and deep 10's on a 300 hit. I was running comp 3-way shocks up front and a Moroso 47140 spring in the front (2260 on the nose). I was also using 2.5" drop spindles (which I might be looking for a set of stockers right now).

I have since made my own Cross member but still running that factory arms. Also switched to a Rancho 9000 shock in the front as there was not enough shock travel before.

djracer 02-07-2010 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super73 (Post 3786971)
I haven't done it yet (11.28), but I'm sure the truck will do it next time out.. If all goes well, I'm hoping to go 11.4-11.5 on motor and deep 10's on a 300 hit. I was running comp 3-way shocks up front and a Moroso 47140 spring in the front (2260 on the nose). I was also using 2.5" drop spindles (which I might be looking for a set of stockers right now).

I have since made my own Cross member but still running that factory arms. Also switched to a Rancho 9000 shock in the front as there was not enough shock travel before.

When you gonna make it back out? Did you have to do anything special to keep the front spring in place?

KQQL IT 02-07-2010 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djracer (Post 3786984)
When you gonna make it back out? Did you have to do anything special to keep the front spring in place?

Pics of the X-member?

71Dragtruck 02-07-2010 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragHammer (Post 3786761)
Who's spindle and tubular a-arms did you use?

belltech spindles, and CPP arms, I run stock smallblock springs with a BB, and QA1 shocks.

djracer 02-07-2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KQQL IT (Post 3786997)
Pics of the X-member?

What X-member

onlyifihadachevy 02-07-2010 10:50 PM

I think he meant to quote super"s post

DragHammer 02-07-2010 11:11 PM

And are you guys running solid bushings?

djracer 02-07-2010 11:12 PM

10/4

I love the look of the Porter built Trailing arm crossmembers.

DragHammer 02-07-2010 11:24 PM

I never could figure out from the past threads if having the ability to adjust the front of your trailing arms was a benefit?????

so it does let you adjust pinion angle????

Quote:

I love the look of the Porter built Trailing arm crossmembers.

djracer 02-07-2010 11:31 PM

My trailing arms are in the stock location but I'm gonna try moving them around to get the absolutely best 60ft out of my new combo. I also want to explore some drag radials.

KQQL IT 02-07-2010 11:34 PM

Sorry about that DJ Yeah supers Xmember pic.

Super73 02-08-2010 02:19 AM

Adjusting the front of the rear arms will allow you to compensate for varying track conditions. It will also help to speed up and slow down the reaction of the vehicle (slightly, more of this is done in the front end).

Will it move your pinion angle, yes, is it the correct way to adjust for pinion angle NO.. The only right way to adjust pinion angle is to use a shim or cut the brackets off and reweld them.

I'll see if i can take some pics of the cross member.. There are a bunch of pics i need to take..

DragHammer 02-08-2010 05:37 PM

thanks '73

in that case I agree with Dj and will be getting ahold of one of these nice Porterbuilt Pieces..... looks like HIgh Qualiity Work!

Super73 02-08-2010 09:46 PM

I just looked at their web page.. They mention "Adjustable front trailing arm pivot mounting location. This adjustment allows both pinion angle adjustment, and instant center adjustment."

Yes it will adjust your pinion angle, but again, not the correct way. I don't see independent adjustments. It is simply adjusting your pinion angle based on which hole you put the front eyelet in. This is the exact same concept as my adjustable front mount uses and the reason i use a shim to adjust pinion angle. As you move it up and down to adjust instant center of gravity, the pinion angle changes as a function of the axle rotating (counter) clockwise. You can not adjust the 2 seperately.

In other words, you can't adjust your ICG with out affecting your pinion angle and you have no way to compensate the pinion change when you change the ICG.

Or if you wanted to correct your pinion angle due to your drop, you would be forced to change your ICG.

Now, if they made some form of bolt/shim that went on the flat potion where the rear mounts to the LCA, that you could turn to either raise the front or rear portion of the pad, then you could adjust the pinion angle there and instant center on the front.

I sent Porterbuilt a PM with a link here.. I don't want to spread wrong info if there is something I missed.. So hopefully they will chime in.

PBFAB.COM 02-08-2010 10:46 PM

You are correct in your assessment of there NOT being the option of adjusting the pinion angle and instant center INDEPENDENTLY of one another. As mentioned, the correct way to do this would be to make an adjustment with a shim at the rear trailing arm perch, after you have dialed in your instant center. However, the trailing arms do compensate for 2 degrees of pinion angle. This makes up for the angle lost when lowering the rear truck arm suspension 6+ inches.

djracer 02-09-2010 12:23 AM

Nathan

Its great to have you visit this section of the board. I love your work.

I'll be happy to stress test a set of your trailing arms and x-member. I should have my 548 together pretty soon.

1FAST68 02-09-2010 12:14 PM

I am, still stock suspension if you don't count the Drag radials.
10.90's at 119 on motor.
10.50 at 125 on a 100 shot I waited to spray it after the 60ft.

DragHammer 02-09-2010 02:42 PM

Great info!!!

Hey '73 do you have a way to select the proper ICG???

ifast68 what shock and spring are you running with your stock setup?

Super73 02-09-2010 05:38 PM

There is no perfect ICG since there are varying track conditions. But, I believe in setting it as high as the track will allow for (IE the higher it is, the harder it hits and plants the tire). But, you need a shock that can control it too or you might end up with some bad wheel hop..

Knowing where your true CG though is a bonus..

1FAST68 02-09-2010 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragHammer (Post 3790215)
Great info!!!

Hey '73 do you have a way to select the proper ICG???

ifast68 what shock and spring are you running with your stock setup?

believe it or not they are cheap autozone rearshocks and a good front shock.
and just some lowering springs
It gets a 1.56 60ft is the best so far.

DragHammer 02-09-2010 10:11 PM

Thanks '73 I have read both your suspension chapters and cant wait for the 3rd and used your spreadsheet to select springs and adjustable shocks.

This may be an odd question but if the higher the mounting point the better
why not raise the adjustment point higher that just a few inches?????

nice 60ft Fast68... gives me more and more hope with the OE control arms

djracer 02-09-2010 10:34 PM

This is a really old picture of my truck from before I owned it. In this pic it had trailing arms and stock front suspension.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...durhamtom1.jpg