The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Who Makes The Best Re-Pop Dash Cluster Bezel? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=386026)

mrein3 02-10-2010 09:25 AM

Who Makes The Best Re-Pop Dash Cluster Bezel?

I have seen a few posts lately about dash clusters. I've also answered a few PMs about my cluster.

Now I have a question. I see lots of really nice dash clusters posted on this forum. Where are you guys getting the bezels? Are they NOS or is somebody re-popping a quality piece?

72BlckButy 02-10-2010 09:34 AM

Re: Who Makes The Best Re-Pop Dash Cluster Bezel?

Check with any of the board vendors, Classic Parts of America, LMC, etc.; they pretty well all sell them. You can find a NOS one but you will pay for it, most running these days are repopped and look just as good.

mrein3 02-10-2010 10:09 AM

Are they all the same quality? I guess what I'm asking is are all the vendors getting them from the same place? I see a lot of nice looking bezels sold loaded with gauges for lots of money. I'd like to start with the bezel they start with.

too much stuff 02-10-2010 10:47 AM

Wish i could help you. I have tried probably 4 different bezels and only found 1 i liked. Unfortunatly there was no name on it. It looked correct and fit right. I think it came from a swapmeet at st.cloud. If i can remember who i got it from i will let you know. Eric

mrein3 02-10-2010 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by too much stuff (Post 3791970)
Wish i could help you. I have tried probably 4 different bezels and only found 1 i liked. Unfortunatly there was no name on it. It looked correct and fit right. I think it came from a swapmeet at st.cloud. If i can remember who i got it from i will let you know. Eric

Eric - Thanks. If you figure out where it came from please pass it along.
I see lots of nice re-dos for sale occasionally on the parts board so somebody is making a good piece.

Classic Heartbeat 02-10-2010 02:01 PM

There are now only 2 manufactures of these Bezels left. I not worth a darn and the other is good. I don't know the names of the manufacturers, but we sell the good one. WES

msgross 02-10-2010 02:56 PM

I got a Counterpart one, quality could be better but now I found a very nice original that I might run... I'd listen to Classic Heartbeat...

72BlckButy 02-10-2010 03:36 PM

I wasn't aware of any quality faults on these, but I'm glad you started this thread.

OARNGESI 02-10-2010 06:33 PM

I bought one for my trusk it looked really good whats the issues with the bad ones

mrein3 02-11-2010 08:47 AM

In dash re-do posts I've heard comments from folks stating that they weren't happy with their re-pop bezel. In other posts I've heard people say they are fine. It is nice to have a vendor like Wes on here who chimes in with good information. I know where I'll be ordering mine.

sokyclassics 02-11-2010 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The ones we carry are very good quality. We sell alot to other dealers as well. Ours are $45 plus shipping for the 69-72 Dash Bezel w/Gauges (H6048).

http://www.sokyclassics.com/product.php?skcid=1000316

lks dcvn 02-11-2010 12:43 PM

^ - I have bought these before and never had an issue - is there a (discounted) forum price for these when we order through SoKy Classics?

sokyclassics 02-12-2010 06:00 PM

I can do $50 shipped while supplies last. I have around 15 or so until our next shipment of these arrive.

msgross 02-12-2010 06:05 PM

THe only issues with mine were the black doesn't always cover where it should, I can touch it up if needed.

NevadaDVX 02-12-2010 09:06 PM

How are the re-pop woodgrain versions?

PanelDeland 02-12-2010 09:52 PM

IIRC the woodgrain is a decal that must be put on.The trick from what I'm told is to get the bezel "CLEAN" before applying.I have never done one but this is what I've been told.

NevadaDVX 02-12-2010 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanelDeland (Post 3797358)
IIRC the woodgrain is a decal that must be put on.The trick from what I'm told is to get the bezel "CLEAN" before applying.I have never done one but this is what I've been told.

Ah, ok thanks. That will work out perfect because I have a new black bezel, but my customer decided she wants woodgrain.

leddzepp 02-12-2010 10:26 PM

The woodgrain decal sucks. No matter what you do, it will peel off....turns into a "shrinky-dink" Next time, I am going to try leaving the backing on and using contact cement to apply it.

mbgmike 02-12-2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leddzepp (Post 3797435)
The woodgrain decal sucks. No matter what you do, it will peel off....turns into a "shrinky-dink" Next time, I am going to try leaving the backing on and using contact cement to apply it.

They can be better quality. Your lucky it stayed on
:lol:
I have made my own using a better quality woodgrain. It was not the same wood however. You can take a pair of steel dividers. Sharpen one end to a knife edge. Layout the circles and find the center. Carefully spin the divider around a few times and its done.

We have checked into chroming the originals (cost too much)
Tried laser cutting thin plastic wood grain sheet. That works but Still can't find a supplier with the correct wood grain pattern.

ironhill 02-13-2010 12:11 AM

I just did a wood grain one.... used the stick on one, I agree it sucked. I took and sprayed 3M trim adhesive on the back and set it on and warmed it up with a heat gun and I couldn't be more happy. Almost looks better than original.

leddzepp 02-13-2010 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironhill (Post 3797670)
I just did a wood grain one.... used the stick on one, I agree it sucked. I took and sprayed 3M trim adhesive on the back and set it on and warmed it up with a heat gun and I couldn't be more happy. Almost looks better than original.

Thanks, I might try this too. I was thinking of leaving the backing on the decal to give it more rigidity.

71blksuper4x4 02-13-2010 02:29 AM

I got something in the works on a good woodgrain bezel. I'll fill ya in after my experiment. Trevor

leddzepp 02-13-2010 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71blksuper4x4 (Post 3797899)
I got something in the works on a good woodgrain bezel. I'll fill ya in after my experiment. Trevor

Sounds good Trevor!

lolife99 02-13-2010 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sokyclassics (Post 3796906)
I can do $50 shipped while supplies last. I have around 15 or so until our next shipment of these arrive.

I need one for a '68.
Sent you a PM.

sokyclassics 02-13-2010 04:32 PM

That price is only for the 69-72 style bezel that has one hole for the headlight and one for the wipers.
http://www.sokyclassics.com/product.php?skcid=1000316