The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Front Disc's Rubbing on Lower A-Arm (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=394621)

steveb64 03-28-2010 08:41 PM

Front Disc's Rubbing on Lower A-Arm

3 Attachment(s)
I installed CPP modular drop spindles on my '64 C10 and have run into a problem. The disc's I bought are the standard 11" or 12" 6-lug also from CPP. The problem I am having is the very end of the a-arm rubs on the disc. At first I thought maybe I hadn't seated the lower ball joint all the way, but I had and it's torqued to specs. Another thought is that the spindles were not machined correctly by CPP. Anyone else had this issue? I appreciate any insight you may have or ideas on how to fix.

steveb64 03-28-2010 08:57 PM

Re: Front Disc's Rubbing on Lower A-Arm

Now that I think about it a little, when I put the disc's on the spindles, I thought it was strange that the castle nut went on the spindle beyond the hole for the cotter pin. I had to add a second spindle washer to space the castle nut out on the spindle so the cotter pin would keep it from spinning. I think the spindles were not machined properly.

lolife99 03-28-2010 10:39 PM

You might PM member CPPJEFF.
I never knew how CPP narrowed the track width,... without running into this problem.
I know their "modular" spindles are only a 2" drop compared to the standard 2.5" or 3" drop.
Are you sure you have the correct bearings?

steveb64 03-28-2010 10:59 PM

lolife99,
The rotors came with the inner and outer races installed. The bearings fit the spindle fine, I guess it's possible that the races do not match my A3 and A5 bearings, but they looked fine when dry fitted. Maybe the rotors are out of spec.
I sent Jeff a message, we'll see what he suggests.
Thanks for the feedback.

lolife99 03-28-2010 11:16 PM

I'll be following this thread also.

royo 03-28-2010 11:48 PM

Didn't spray bomb have this problem with his spindles

CPPJEFF 03-29-2010 10:26 AM

I have NEVER seen this problem. Can you put the whhels on the vehicle instead of jackstands and let me see what it looks like then? I will send this thread over to my engineer. Thanks

lolife99 03-29-2010 11:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The area marked in red,... looks wider than the 67-72 or 73-87 lower arms.
I wonder if the early arms are different?

CPPJEFF 03-29-2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 3888734)
The area marked in red,... looks wider than the 67-72 or 73-87 lower arms.
I wonder if the early arms are different?

I agree with lolife on the a-arm, although this should work on any a-arm from 63-87 chevy 1/2 truck.

CPPJEFF 03-29-2010 12:12 PM

Does this do this on both sides?

steveb64 03-29-2010 01:12 PM

Jeff,
Yes, this is happening on both sides.
I'll get some shots with the wheels on the ground in the garage and post them tonight.
Would this have something to do with the rotor going on the spindle so far that the cotter pin hole does not engage the crown nut? Should there be a spacer between the spindle and the inner bearing to hold the rotor out a bit?
I appreciate the help in getting this resolved.
If you need me to measure anything, I can do that.
Steve B.
563-320-1993

CPPJEFF 03-29-2010 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveb64 (Post 3888865)
Jeff,
Yes, this is happening on both sides.
I'll get some shots with the wheels on the ground in the garage and post them tonight.
Would this have something to do with the rotor going on the spindle so far that the cotter pin hole does not engage the crown nut? Should there be a spacer between the spindle and the inner bearing to hold the rotor out a bit?
I appreciate the help in getting this resolved.
If you need me to measure anything, I can do that.
Steve B.
563-320-1993

Steve i would appreciate that as far as putting it on the ground and getting some pics. Also the rotor goes right on without spacers. Thanks. My direct e-mail is jeff@classicperform.com

steveb64 03-29-2010 09:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Jeff - I sent you an e-mail with these pics. Thanks for your help with solving this issue.

For those interested in this thread, here you go.

steveb64 03-31-2010 12:31 PM

Decided I'm just going to grind off the ends of my a-arms to prevent them from grinding on the rotors. Don't want to take too much though and risk weakening the ball joint area of the stamping.

CPPJEFF 03-31-2010 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveb64 (Post 3892861)
Decided I'm just going to grind off the ends of my a-arms to prevent them from grinding on the rotors. Don't want to take too much though and risk weakening the ball joint area of the stamping.

Let me know how this turns out. I have NEVER seen this before.

fishingjred73 05-19-2010 06:31 PM

Anymore on this?

swappy 05-26-2010 07:48 PM

I would like to know what the problem was. I want to get these for my truck. I wonder if he got the wrong bearing or rotors

Hottrucks 05-26-2010 08:26 PM

Hmmm I seem to have read this somewhere before but it is and older post.....I thnk they just ground it till it cleared??

what about thethickness of the rotor?? seems like they came in 2 diff thickenss's

steveb64 05-28-2010 01:45 PM

The rotors came from CPP. The bearings are the correct ones for the application, very common bearings.

I ended up just grinding the ends of my lower A-arms enough so that they no longer rub. I actually had to take quite a bit off, I'm hoping they are still mechanically sound and safe.

In my opinion, I should have forced the issue more with CPP. I think the CPP drop spindles were not machined correctly. This allowed the rotors to install to far inboard on the spindles. The reason I believe this is that after I installed the rotors, the crown nut tightens up way beyond the hole in the spindle that the cotter pin goes into. I had to install extra spindle washers between the outer bearings and the spindle nut to hold it our far enough so that the cotter pin will keep the crown nut from loosening.

I have to say, I'm not really happy with this setup, I just did not want to incur more shipping charges and down time sending the spindles back to CPP for inspection and replacement.

LostMy65 11-22-2014 04:08 AM

Old thread.....
But still interesting information on modular spindles.

michael bustamante 11-26-2014 12:37 AM

Did anyone notice theres no dust plates either? The spindles must be wrong if the rotor runs so far back that the castle nut completly clears the cotter pin hole

YBNORML 11-26-2014 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael bustamante (Post 6934371)
Did anyone notice theres no dust plates either? The spindles must be wrong if the rotor runs so far back that the castle nut completly clears the cotter pin hole

I read on here that you can't run the dust shields with the modular spindles.

michael bustamante 11-27-2014 10:36 PM

Youre probably right. I ran magoughys and those had the holes to mount dust plates so i just assumed

Slow Build 11-28-2014 10:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a recent pic from a thread by Chevy_Mike showing modular spindle with 15" rally wheels. Looks like the ball joint is taller or something. No interference between a-arm & disk.

LostMy65 11-28-2014 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slow Build (Post 6937369)
Here is a recent pic from a thread by Chevy_Mike showing modular spindle with 15" rally wheels. Looks like the ball joint is taller or something. No interference between a-arm & disk.

Good observation.
The distance from the arm to the bottom of the spindle looks to be quite a bit more on Chevy_Mikes'.
The pics above, where the poster says he's having clearance issues, looks to only be about 1/2".