The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Whats wrong ?? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=410443)

roofingbloke 07-04-2010 02:54 PM

Whats wrong ??

4 Attachment(s)
Whats wrong whith my wheel camber ?

63 c10, 2" drop spindles and lowerd coils, (soon to go on air bags) power steering.

When on full lock the wheel is leaving black marks on the tarmack,

See pictures.

LONGHAIR 07-04-2010 06:00 PM

Re: Whats wrong ??

Have you had it aligned since installing the lowering parts? I would start with that, if the caster is off to far toward the positive, you get what is known as "camber gain". Try to get it back to the correct specs before trying to diagnose a problem.

blazer2007 07-04-2010 06:41 PM

wouldn,t that be tie rod too far out,they tell you to bring it in so far on the intructions so as to get to alignment shop

roofingbloke 07-05-2010 07:45 AM

The truck already had the drop spindles so im not sure about what was done,

cdowns 07-05-2010 09:21 AM

lowered springs require the top control arm to b shimmed out// a good alignment shop should b able to correct
in some cases i've heard off needing longer mounting bolts and spacers for control arms r needed

54Caddy 07-05-2010 10:00 AM

Longer bolts might come into the case depending on the amount of drop of the coils. My truck isnt set perfect either i need longer bolts. Ill handle that problem once i bag it so no biggy. Take your truck to a good alignment shop and they should be able to figure something out for you

kev2809 07-05-2010 12:23 PM

have you changed out any of the suspension up front (tie rods, ball joints, etc..)? be prepared for them to tell you that you need to before they can align it. it never fails with me...

nice truck by the way..

roofingbloke 07-06-2010 05:53 AM

Will have a good look at it today to see if i have any bolt thread left.

Thanks guys.

roofingbloke 07-07-2010 01:26 AM

I have a good half inch of thred left>

DKN 07-07-2010 10:38 AM

The black marks on the ground at full steering lock is a resault of the ackermann angle. You can not change this. Each front tire needs to be steered slightly different to have neutral ackermann. This is because as you turn the inside tires is at a smaller turning radius than the outside tires. This part of the suspension also affects the toe angle. To get good high speed driving stabality you may have an ackermann angle that causes the front tires to "scrub" when at full steer.

Danny Nix
CPP

roofingbloke 07-07-2010 05:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Took a fiew pics with wheel off, looks stock to me, 6mm spacers and 10mm of bolt thread left.

Se pics.

LONGHAIR 07-07-2010 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LONGHAIR (Post 4073338)
Have you had it aligned since installing the lowering parts? I would start with that, if the caster is off to far toward the positive, you get what is known as "camber gain". Try to get it back to the correct specs before trying to diagnose a problem.

Yeah, what he said^^^

63sbssbbw 07-08-2010 07:10 AM

I don't think I've ever seen so few shims in an uca
T

DKN 07-08-2010 10:32 AM

Camber will not cause the tires to squeal, scrub, or leave black marks on the road. A motorcycle at regular speed gets all of its turning thrust from camber thrust. A motorcycle can operate at up to 60degrees of camber. Old VW, Porsche, and Corvair used swing axle rear suspension with very large amounts of camber change positive and negative. I have measured Ford I-Beam suspensions as far as 11 degrees negative camber at full compression.

If you are worried about the tires scrubing at full steering angle I would look at the toe measurement. If this toe angle is wrong because of the Ackermann then there is nothing to adjust. Toe in or toe out will definitely cause the tires to scrub, even a few degrees of toe can cause a problem.

My 2 cents, Danny Nix
CPP

roofingbloke 07-09-2010 02:26 PM

Anyone got any pictures of a well set up front end with spacers in situation,