The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Part / Junk it? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=432039)

1BadSS 11-22-2010 01:02 AM

Part / Junk it?

The 79 K10 I have, i'm running out of motivation to work on it quickly. Just because it isn't worth it to me. It's just a longbox 4x4. Not a SWB 4x4 or 2wd. I've already cut out the floor sections, rockers, cab corners. I just can't justify the work into the truck considering it wont be worth much more than the sheet metal I put into it.

The only real thing it has going for it right now is, it has a solid running 350 in it. That's it. If it was a 67-72 lwb 4x4 i'd be all over fixing it. Sure, the truck is well optioned. But it needs everything sheet metal wise. Including a whole bed. I love the 73-79 style.

I'm just not sure if I should trudge forth and finish the bodywork on the truck. It also needs brand new brake lines.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1308985_n.jpg

THE "10" SILVERADO 11-22-2010 01:07 AM

Re: Part / Junk it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1BadSS (Post 4307400)
The 79 K10 I have, i'm running out of motivation to work on it quickly. Just because it isn't worth it to me. It's just a longbox 4x4. Not a SWB 4x4 or 2wd. I've already cut out the floor sections, rockers, cab corners. I just can't justify the work into the truck considering it wont be worth much more than the sheet metal I put into it.

The only real thing it has going for it right now is, it has a solid running 350 in it. That's it. If it was a 67-72 lwb 4x4 i'd be all over fixing it. Sure, the truck is well optioned. But it needs everything sheet metal wise. Including a whole bed. I love the 73-79 style.

I'm just not sure if I should trudge forth and finish the bodywork on the truck. It also needs brand new brake lines.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1308985_n.jpg

Seems like a lot of rust just on the driver side....can't see the passenger side though...from what I see it looks like a lot of work....if you have the time go for it....I probably wouldn't sell it so I could just have something to do over free time.....but there are defiantly other things to do though....

TheWhiteElephant 11-22-2010 01:16 AM

One of the things I've come to learn in my 38 years of life regarding automotive projects in your life is that something ALWAYS has to give. Time to spend with your spouse, children, work, and money of course is ALWAYS compromised when you work on an automobile. As much as I love cars/trucks, I would much rather spend time with my wife and kids. I'm done with big projects for the time being, anyway.

A project like the one you have on your hands is HUGE. Not necessarily intrusive if you are single, but a lot of work and $$ nonetheless. All that being said, I'd probably just sell it as is, unless you have the time and space to part it out.

1BadSS 11-22-2010 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteElephant (Post 4307421)
One of the things I've come to learn in my 38 years of life regarding automotive projects in your life is that something ALWAYS has to give. Time to spend with your spouse, children, work, and money of course is ALWAYS compromised when you work on an automobile. As much as I love cars/trucks, I would much rather spend time with my wife and kids. I'm done with big projects for the time being, anyway.

A project like the one you have on your hands is HUGE. Not necessarily intrusive if you are single, but a lot of work and $$ nonetheless. All that being said, I'd probably just sell it as is, unless you have the time and space to part it out.

The deal is, I work for an restoration company. So I've already purchased fenders, rockers, cab corners, floor patches, floor braces, lower cowl patches. Spent $850 on a pair of NOS doors, another $425 in a bed floor. I think i'm just going to forget about the truck for a week or two and rehash things.

thepenguin99 11-22-2010 01:29 AM

I don't know the situation on rust in kansas but I have scrapped quite a few trucks with less rust than that. If it were me I would scrap the cab/bed and keep the running gear for a future truck.

TheWhiteElephant 11-22-2010 01:31 AM

TheWhiteElephant 11-22-2010 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1BadSS (Post 4307433)
The deal is, I work for an restoration company. So I've already purchased fenders, rockers, cab corners, floor patches, floor braces, lower cowl patches. Spent $850 on a pair of NOS doors, another $425 in a bed floor. I think i'm just going to forget about the truck for a week or two and rehash things.

ah, I hear you. I've thought about quitting many times in the middle of projects but stepping back always clears the mind. A break should do you good.

I hope it all works out, it sounds like you had some good plans for it, and putting another one of these 4X4 longbeds out on the road is always a good thing.

babyJay 11-22-2010 11:11 AM

I've also scrapped trucks with about the same or less rust than yours has. If those are the original metal headlight bezels, keep those, send them off for rechrome, b/c you can only buy plastic ones these days, and as stated keep what you can of it. Maybe just get a donor cab and bed?

Walts_restoration 11-25-2010 09:36 PM

Noticed the screen name and nice to see your still around. Looks similar to my 78 3/4 ton 4x4 i got for winter duty. Still need to throw dads 235/85/r16s on it and do the front brakes and hoses and shocks, and she needs a cam, but running and driving for 460 bucks. I dont plan to do any body work on mine though man, i say keep it.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...e/SSPX1516.jpg

old Rusty C10 11-25-2010 11:34 PM

ive started with less

lilpoindexter 11-26-2010 12:04 AM

part

80stepsideguy 11-26-2010 01:15 AM

Put it in the garage and take your time.No need to give up that easy and you`ll save another 1 from being a memory.If not sell it all as a package deal.

thanks
pat

69subaru360 11-26-2010 05:43 PM

Honestly I wouldn't bother. I junked my last Suburban for rust that wasn't even as bad as your truck.