The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Gearing options needed (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=498021)

mjensen 12-11-2011 04:37 PM

Gearing options needed

So, I'm really trying to decide how I want to gear my beast. Currently, it has a 4 speed, NP205 (I think), 4:10 rear (not orig), 4:56 front (orig). I am planning on going with a 4" lift and 35's.

So, I'm going to stick with the 4:10 ratio but I'm not sure about the tranny. I've thought about swapping in a NV4500, or another option may just add a GV Overdrive unit. It seems like the GV option would be easier, and would probably be about the same costs but I wanted to see if you all had an opinion.

DirtyLarry 12-11-2011 04:54 PM

Re: Gearing options needed

4:56 with a NV4500 on 35-37’s is a great combination. GV has great products but they tend to work better on 2wd trucks more than 4wd. That is just me .02 cents.

mjensen 12-11-2011 04:56 PM

Well, after seeing what you've accomplished I would gladly take your two cents :)

Mike C 12-11-2011 07:05 PM

I don't have any issues keeping up with traffic with 4.10 and 35's with my SM465. It runs about 2800-2900 at 70 mph, which is not too bad with a carburetor on a small block. Certainly not bad enough for a $3-$4 THOUSAND dollar investment unless you were planning a bunch of high speed cross country trips. Put it together and drive it before making that decision. Then see what adding 37" tires would do.

mjensen 12-11-2011 10:48 PM

Thanks Mike...I like your logic. I think I'll just find me a 4.10 front to match and get it back together as is.

space wrangler 12-12-2011 10:37 AM

seems like adding the GV unit would make for a really steep rear drive shaft angle. does anyone know how much length it adds to the transfer case? the GV website doesn't appear to give the dimensions of the unit. ..just pictures.

Mr. 250r 12-13-2011 01:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The actually installed over drive unit is from the web the dimensions are from their website hope it helps

Redcap 12-13-2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. 250r (Post 5062263)
The actually installed over drive unit is from the web the dimensions are from their website hope it helps

Its too bad they didn't make it replace the transfercase adapter.

mjensen 12-13-2011 11:48 PM

I think I'm just going to run what I have for sure. I'm not quite ready to tackle much more than swapping the front end for now. I do want to get it on the road and "tinker" after that :)

Thanks all for the input! I really appreciate it.

andrewmp6 12-14-2011 01:55 AM

Why the gear vendors are you trying to make it easier on gas on ?

Mr. 250r 12-14-2011 10:56 PM

Why not some extreme low range like a StaK transfer case and a gear vendors underdrive? lol real rock crawling ratios and also good for no gas mileage =-p

mjensen 12-14-2011 11:21 PM

I was really wanting to get an overdrive for the amount of freeway cruising I will be doing. I really don't want to go through all the trouble of doing the tranny swap right now. I think a GV unit is really out of the question for this build.

kwmech 12-15-2011 04:27 PM

If you really want to help your SM465, jump over to the Advance Adapter website and take a look at their overdrive unit...Ranger. It bolts in front of your trans, it is 7.5'' long. It essentially gives you an 8 speed trans and with the t-case 16 speeds. If you are towing in any kind of mountainous situations 2nd and 3rd gear overdrive are awesome. With a 4'' lift it will also help your front driveline angle

mjensen 12-15-2011 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwmech (Post 5066560)
If you really want to help your SM465, jump over to the Advance Adapter website and take a look at their overdrive unit...Ranger. It bolts in front of your trans, it is 7.5'' long. It essentially gives you an 8 speed trans and with the t-case 16 speeds. If you are towing in any kind of mountainous situations 2nd and 3rd gear overdrive are awesome. With a 4'' lift it will also help your front driveline angle

I'm loving that for two reasons, 1 - it's cheaper than a GV unit, and 2 - ANOTHER STICK TO SHIFT!!!! :lol:. In all seriousness though does anybody know anybody who has installed and used one of these? That looks like a pretty cool option to me. I would think this would cause some clearance issues with the gear shifter/seat, and the 4WD levers. Any input on that?

Mr. 250r 12-15-2011 11:59 PM

http://www.fordification.com/tech/torque-splitter.htm not in a chevy but might help couldn't find much else

mjensen 12-16-2011 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. 250r (Post 5067292)
http://www.fordification.com/tech/torque-splitter.htm not in a chevy but might help couldn't find much else

That helps. I kinda like the thought of 3 sticks pokin' through the floorboard. I just may have to do this. I'm really surprised/worried though that nobody else has done this as it's almost half as much as the GV unit.

SunSoaked 05-07-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjensen (Post 5067342)
That helps. I kinda like the thought of 3 sticks pokin' through the floorboard. I just may have to do this. I'm really surprised/worried though that nobody else has done this as it's almost half as much as the GV unit.

Any forward progress on this? I'm going for it in the next couple weeks. Was curious on how you addressed the clearance issues with the sticks.

mjensen 05-08-2012 12:23 AM

I've ordered the splitter, but its still on backorder. I have decided that I'm going to do some kind of solenoid to shift the beast just like the big rigs :lol:

76k10 05-08-2012 08:59 AM

I run 35s with 3.31 gears. With a TH350 it feels like I have an overdrive on the highway, but low range is mandatory on the trail and it gives me all the gearing I need.

SunSoaked 05-08-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjensen (Post 5359717)
I've ordered the splitter, but its still on backorder. I have decided that I'm going to do some kind of solenoid to shift the beast just like the big rigs :lol:

Great idea. I like the look of the stick(s) poking up thru the floor like a bamboo forest..:lol:

However- I could mount a stick any size/shape/location I wanted to avoid the seat interference issue and just slave it to a switch/solenoid.

Forward thinking...

mjensen 05-08-2012 10:08 PM

I'm not 100% sure until I get it, but I'm thinking I may be able to rework the shifter enough to clear the seat. I may be dead wrong on that, but who knows until I get the cab back on...or at least I don't want to think about it until then :LOL:

On another note, I got my tracking number today so IT'S ON IT'S WAY!!!

rogerapage 05-08-2012 10:09 PM

I ordered a Ranger overdrive last week for a 4wheel drive with a Sm 465 and 205 . My measurements for the transfer case shifter may hit the edge of a bench seat. I plan to install buckets. The people at Advance seem like good people. This truck is a class project so it may be a few months before it is together.

mjensen 05-08-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogerapage (Post 5370145)
I ordered a Ranger overdrive last week for a 4wheel drive with a Sm 465 and 205 . My measurements for the transfer case shifter may hit the edge of a bench seat. I plan to install buckets. The people at Advance seem like good people. This truck is a class project so it may be a few months before it is together.

Darn...I was hoping you were going to say it's already installed so I could steal measurements and such :lol:

rogerapage 05-09-2012 09:34 PM

The class has been working on the frame, drive train, brakes, as soon as I recieve the overdrive and install it I want to install the cab. Let me know if what I have would help.

86c20 05-09-2012 10:07 PM

what about a hole aux trans? one like a spicer?? i think it is a 3051A i may be wrong on the name but it was used in mid rang trucks. gives you a 2;1 under drive 1;1 and a .78 over same as the gear vendors and the ranger spliter. 2 wheel drive use only tho un less you fit a divored tcase in there. seen some of the diesel guys do it and they love it. turn a 4 speed into a 12 speed. and yes it will handle all of the power a gasser can make. think they are rated for 1000 lbs tq. there are bigger ones for more power. would work great in a 4 door long bed more then enough room but has been done on a long bed reg cab. later, mike