The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Let me see some Rat Rod engines (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=524567)

Rudoo 05-14-2012 02:05 PM

Let me see some Rat Rod engines

I want to see some rat rod engines. Esp. ones that have unique components. Like beer can, coffee can, etc.
Thanks!

mr48chev 05-14-2012 08:26 PM

Re: Let me see some Rat Rod engines

I'd have to think that my fellow truck nuts have enough pride in how they build their trucks not to hang garbage like that on their trucks.

cajundragger 05-14-2012 08:27 PM

its really not as cool as you think it is.

Rudoo 05-14-2012 09:47 PM

I think everyone has a different opinion of what is cool. That is why there are so many choices out there. I appreciate all different styles of trucks

formergreen 05-14-2012 10:58 PM

I appreciate anything diffrent, It is amazing what someone can do with someone elses garbage... Thinking outside of the box is where rat rod came from....

G&R's57GMC 05-14-2012 11:17 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here ya Go !

G&R's57GMC 05-14-2012 11:22 PM

5 Attachment(s)
and more .... Notice the Hemi powered pencil sharpener

G&R's57GMC 05-14-2012 11:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Etc.

hopped up 05-14-2012 11:25 PM

please no crap rod bs!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

G&R's57GMC 05-14-2012 11:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Etc. Etc.

Sorry I couldn't find any RAT Rodded AD or TF engines. I guess they build sweeter rides.

Rudoo 05-15-2012 06:36 AM

Thanks G&R's 57 GMC!

Rudoo 05-15-2012 06:38 AM

Me too FormerGreen. Some of those guys really put some thought into the engines.

mr48chev 05-15-2012 12:10 PM

The junk wagon that G&R's57GMC posted several photos of in Post 6 belongs to a local guy who actually owns a "street rod" shop and is a second or third generation street rodder. While looking like hell the car is pretty well built under all the added on junk. I'd estimate that he has three or four hundred pounds of scrap iron added to the car for "effect".

Personally I try not to take photos of those cars and I don't post photos of them along with editing them out of photos of cars next to them that I do take a photo of when I can. I am not doing at to be a snob but I strongly feel that those cars send the wrong message to future car builders who might think that slapping a car together crudely without concerns of safety and then driving them is ok.

hopped up 05-15-2012 12:18 PM

i gotta agree with mr48. crap rods send the message to people that you can build an unsafe poorly executed and "ugly" car and be cool. sorry but thats not cool, and all that crap added just makes it worse.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rudoo 05-15-2012 02:06 PM

Man, I didn't know I was opening a can of worms. All I asked for were pictures of rad rods, not opinions. I mean, come on, you read the topic of the thread. If you knew this was not your interest, why not just move on to the next thread? Why have to put down someone else's like?
Goes back to like your mother used to say-"if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"

robin58 05-15-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hopped up (Post 5381873)
i gotta agree with mr48. crap rods send the message to people that you can build an unsafe poorly executed and "ugly" car and be cool. sorry but thats not cool, and all that crap added just makes it worse.
Posted via Mobile Device

Conversely, just because it has a flashy paintjob, externally looks nice, has a nice interior, etc doesn't always equate to a safely executed build either. I've seen numerous front clips installed on visually stunning vehicles that I sure wouldn't want driving around me.

BTW these are just two of the many AD ratrods I found:

http://ratrodtv.com/gallery/Chevy_Tr...-Rat%20Rod.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMlgxNj..._id=8800005007

49bowtie 05-15-2012 04:46 PM

But on the other hand, the rat rods at the local car show two weeks back looked all the part, obnoxious, bad welds, and I felt like I was going to get tetanus just walking by. The best was at the BurnOut contest. Of the two ratrods: one lost forward gears and had to be pushed away in shame, and the other lost the left rear wheel in mid burnout. Now that is funny.
:metal:

hopped up 05-15-2012 05:02 PM

its funny people dont know what a ratrod is. just cuz its primered or has original faded paint and whitewalls doesnt mean its a rat rod. id take offense to someone calling my truck that . a ratrod is a unsafe poorly built pos. really gotta be a 20-30s car with a bunch of goofy doodads bolted on. overly chopped and dropped.
Posted via Mobile Device

robin58 05-15-2012 06:26 PM

Like the OP said, you hate ratrods, ignore the topic.

But obviously the term ratrod various drastically in definition. Maybe it's a California thing that to qualify it has to be a POS and unsafe, that certainly isn't a requirement here.

In general here most people consider a vehicle a ratrod if it is something constructed using parts from a multitude of donor vehicles usually obtained through barter or trade and generally from parts that people just have laying around. Does that mean many are unsafe, sure. Does that mean they are ALL unsafe, nope. One of the more respected local hotrodder dad & son team around here have built several ratrods from cabs, chassis, suspension parts etc they have acquired over the years. There's no less attention to safety in their ratrod builds than there is in any of their other vehicle builds.

Like I said, it's the builder and his ability (lack thereof) who makes something unsafe, and it does not have to be in direct relation to looks. Heck around here some of the most poorly constructed / modified vehicles are bagged minitrucks usually hacked up by some teenager with no supervision. For a while there was a push for annual inspections to require having weld inspections done on any modified chassis. Sadly that seems to have gone by the wayside.

hopped up 05-15-2012 07:02 PM

i really dont think its a california thing. think a rat rod is a pos in any state
Posted via Mobile Device

G&R's57GMC 05-15-2012 07:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I totally agree that vehicles poorly constructed, no mater the style, Have no place on the road.

However, Unique vehicles that show creativity, ingenuity and are well constructed do have a place on the road and in shows.

The term 'RAT ROD' was coined at a motorcycle show and some how became a generic term for vehicles that looked like rolling junk yards. Later applied to premiered vehicles with red wheels and white walls. Then to patinaed etc,etc,etc.

The rolling junkyard to me is an 'ART' car. But that term has already been applied to other vehicles with all kinds of stuff glued to them.

So here is my idea of a 'RAT ART' car

G&R's57GMC 05-15-2012 07:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Another and the ones that were linked by robin58

formergreen 05-15-2012 07:48 PM

G&R's57GMC, tHE SECOND ONE IS NICE, i LIKE THE STANCE...

G&R's57GMC 05-15-2012 07:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
What is it a "RAT" or Custom ?

As loose as the term 'RAT ROD' has become. What would you call it ?

formergreen 05-15-2012 07:53 PM

Sweet, Sick, Phat...............