The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Laying running boards with AD frame? Tell us how its done? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=549311)

jwcardy 10-26-2012 12:47 PM

Laying running boards with AD frame? Tell us how its done?

Just a question for those laying running boards bagged using the AD frame. What did you do up front? my narrowed c10 cross member is not going to get me there without z'ing the frame. Are you guys doing it with a mustangii crossmember? Thanks

-Wes

mr48chev 10-26-2012 07:10 PM

Re: Laying running boards with AD frame? Tell us how its done?

Someday I want one of the laying frame guys to do an honest explanation on why guys think having a truck laying on the pavement looking like the suspension is broken looks good. Maybe I'm just too old to get it but I don't get the "hey look I broke my truck" look.

On your question. you may have to modify the crossmember so that it sits higher on the frame. The square body guys do it quite often to aid in lowering their trucks. Here is one link to how they pancake the crossmember. http://www.captkaoscustoms.com/chopcross.html What you could do and there was an article in a truck magazine on doing it on the later models is notch the crossmember where the rails of the truck frame sit in it and drop the frame down in the notches. You would have to add some support on top of the rail to bolt the A frames to but that wouldn't be much more than a length of angle with gussets.

You could also do something similar to a C notch on the rail to raise the crossmeber up in it and reinforce that. It would be similar to a Z but would only be above the crossmember and wouldn't affect the bumper or core support placement and cause and wouldn't cause the issues with sheetmetal alignment that a traditional z on the frame would.

NEWFISHER 10-27-2012 02:10 AM

Not to hijack, but in reference to mr48's querry; laying frame is the new generations answer to chopping a top. Its a visual reference that reflects their style. Not right or wrong just new. If someone hadn't of put a huge Hemi , split wishbones and tossed on some bigger rears, we wouldn't have the hot rod. I agree that some fads come and go and I don't like or "get" what some are doing, but I am glad they are "doing" and succeeding with the look or failing. In the end they are still turning a wrench and keeping it alive.
Posted via Mobile Device

rollinrooster 10-27-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEWFISHER (Post 5670682)
Not to hijack, but in reference to mr48's querry; laying frame is the new generations answer to chopping a top. Its a visual reference that reflects their style. Not right or wrong just new. If someone hadn't of put a huge Hemi , split wishbones and tossed on some bigger rears, we wouldn't have the hot rod. I agree that some fads come and go and I don't like or "get" what some are doing, but I am glad they are "doing" and succeeding with the look or failing. In the end they are still turning a wrench and keeping it alive.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well said!!! kinda reminds me of a sticker on my toolbox " if i have to explain you wouldnt understand":lol:

Chevette 10-27-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollinrooster (Post 5670917)
Well said!!! kinda reminds me of a sticker on my toolbox " if i have to explain you wouldnt understand":lol:

Rollin: Good one! In reference to mr48's obvious jab at "laying running boards", My toolbox has a sticker on it that reads "If you don't like the way others build their trucks, then keep your yap shut".

wood1 10-27-2012 11:43 AM

Great reply NEWFISHER!! Funny thing is most of the "older" guys make the most positive comments to me about my truck.

Highsider 10-27-2012 11:59 AM

Great discussion here, boys!

(hope the OP gets some help) ;-)

robin58 10-27-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Not to hijack, but in reference to mr48's querry; laying frame is the new generations answer to chopping a top.
Lowriders / laying frame is definitely not something that has only just been invented by the new generation of modifiers. ;)

It may be something that has become more prevalent over the past 10 years because of the ample supply of airbag manufacturers, but it's been around a while.

Personally I like the look (and yup I'm an old fart). But..... I do dislike how so many young-uns (around my neck of the woods at least) cobble something together that to be brutally frank should be un-roadworthy. And I do have to admit I'm not to hot on the whole dragging frame while driving on the interstate bit either. Sparks look cool but there's a time and place for that which isn't in traffic at 70mph.

Chevette 10-27-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwcardy (Post 5668921)
Just a question for those laying running boards bagged using the AD frame. What did you do up front? my narrowed c10 cross member is not going to get me there without z'ing the frame. Are you guys doing it with a mustangii crossmember? Thanks

-Wes

I would think you probably need a four link for the rear and a Mll with 2" drop spindles for the front and an air bags at all four. And a large notch for the rear and maybe as you mentioned z'ing the front. There is likely lots of info if you google it and click on "images". Good luck.;)

mr48chev 10-27-2012 07:32 PM

Wes you will have to modify the frame as you thought = Z or modify the crossmember as I suggested to do what you want to do.

Yes we all do have different ideas on how trucks or customs, rods 4x4's or any other vehicle that is personalized should look and that is the way it should be or we would all be driving white four door sedans with no extra cost plastic hubcaps.
Some guys obviously think a truck laying on the ground with the front wheels cocked at an angle looks great, I will always think that they look broken and lets leave it at that.

CHIZZLER 10-27-2012 10:32 PM

scotts front ifs with bags up front.scotts 4-bar rear with bags.6"notch.nothing else done to front except new crossmember with drop spindles.just good parts with r&d to back them up.

CHIZZLER 10-27-2012 10:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
couple pics.

jwcardy 10-27-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHIZZLER (Post 5671902)
scotts front ifs with bags up front.scotts 4-bar rear with bags.6"notch.nothing else done to front except new crossmember with drop spindles.just good parts with r&d to back them up.

your build answered a lot of questions. thanks for the help guys.
-Wes

CHIZZLER 10-27-2012 11:58 PM

good luck.post some pics.

wood1 10-28-2012 01:58 PM

Love your Sub..!! Great stance....

xpickup 10-28-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevette (Post 5670929)
Rollin: Good one! In reference to mr48's obvious jab at "laying running boards", My toolbox has a sticker on it that reads "If you don't like the way others build their trucks, then keep your yap shut".

We all that mr48chev does NOT like lowered, bagged, patinated, or S10 framed trucks. He has told us many times with his negative comments. I would never have a negative comment on any ones projects. To each there own. If you do not like it do not comment!

Shannon

98layinframe 10-30-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xpickup (Post 5673068)
We all that mr48chev does NOT like lowered, bagged, patinated, or S10 framed trucks. He has told us many times with his negative comments. I would never have a negative comment on any ones projects. To each there own. If you do not like it do not comment!

Shannon

I'm relatively new around here.. and yeah I'm already painfully aware of how many things he dislikes.

Come on man, Im sure people your parents age or older didnt like or indorse the things you were doing either in your teens/ twenties hod rodding cars/trucks.

For the OP.... what are you running for steering? Rack and pinion or stock box and drag link type? Bags obviously... so worrying about the spring pocket depth section of the cross is no big deal.. so like mentioned above cut out notches in the member just behind your upper control arm mounts and slip the member up atleast 2" on the frame. For the upper arm supports a piece of 3"x3" angle iron cut down to the height you need should more help give enough strength to bolt things solid. Or if I was doing it.. weld solid.

Either way get that crossmember up high enough, shouldnt have any problems with the oil pan since the motor sits back so far in comparison and you dont want your sump below the x member anyways.
Posted via Mobile Device

NEWFISHER 10-30-2012 11:16 AM

Follow chizzlers build : http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=404091
I have seen his truck and the chassis is niiiiiice! If I were to toss the straight axle in mine, I wouldn't hessitate to do the same thing he did.

robin58 10-30-2012 01:55 PM

Wow this thread is deteriorating pretty rapidly into an attack on someone for expressing their opinion. The funny thing is, he went on to explain to the OP in the second paragraph how to do it anyways along with a link. Did all of you miss that?

If you read some of his views on say things like S10 swaps and I mean actually READ, you would comprehend why he has always opined that if there's nothing wrong with the original AD frame, there's really no need to go through the swap process.

Give mr48Chev some pops too as he has ALWAYS stated he made numerous mistakes when he first modified his truck. And just about all of his advice is usually as a result from the school of hard knocks.

But I am guessing from now on us "old farts" will keep our "yaps" shut because apparently there's nothing to learn from us and our mistakes we made.

Kabwe 10-30-2012 02:36 PM

Sorry but when you give your opinion about what someone else likes and wants to do with their ride, you open yourself up for that reaction. The Original poster did not ask what you are I thought about it, he asked how to do it. To give your opinion is in my mind disrespectful. The guy likes what he likes. Period.

Here is the question from the original poster

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwcardy (Post 5668921)

-Wes

Here is the response before he went on the answer the question.
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr48chev (Post 5669459)
Someday I want one of the laying frame guys to do an honest explanation on why guys think having a truck laying on the pavement looking like the suspension is broken looks good. Maybe I'm just too old to get it but I don't get the "hey look I broke my truck" look.

That's like me asking where the bathroom is and you slap me for asking and then direct me to the bathroom.

No one owes anyone an explanation of why they like the way something looks. I'm sure people do not like what I've done to my truck and I sure don't owe them an explanation of why I did something. The answer is obvious. Because its mine and I like the way it looks.

There is enough room for all of us on this site. Stock, modified, custom or whatever and nobody owes anyone a explanation of why we like certain things. If I don't like something I simply would not respond. I may look but I would not respond.

I've been building rods for years also and I still learn from guys younger that me. Some guys just have natural abilities and it really does not matter how long you've been doing this. I know guys who have been wrong for 40 years.lol But they are set in the ways and I just watch them make mistakes because they will not listen to me because I'm a younger to them. But its funny how they turn around and try to get info out of me without asking.lol

If we all liked and built the same things it would be a very boring hobby.

Chevette 10-30-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabwe (Post 5676452)
Sorry but when you give you opinion about what someone else likes and wants to do with their ride, you open yourself up for that reaction. The Original poster did not ask what you are I thought about it, he asked how to do it. To give your opinion is in my mind disrespectful. The guy likes what he likes. Period.

Here is the question from the original poster

Here is the response.
"Someday I want one of the laying frame guys to do an honest explanation on why guys think having a truck laying on the pavement looking like the suspension is broken looks good.

No one owes anyone an explanation of why they like the way something looks. I'm sure people do not like what I've done to my truck and I sure don't owe them an explanation of why I did something. The answer is obvious. Because its mine and I like the way it looks.

There is enough room for all of us on this site. Stock, modified, custom or whatever and no body owes anyone a explanation of why we like certain things. If I don't like something I simply would not respond. I may look but I would not respond.

I been building rods for years also and I still learn from guys younger that me. Some guys just have natural abilities and it really does not matter how long you've been doing this.

If we all liked and built the same things it would be a very boring hobby.

Well said.

1955 Eddie 10-30-2012 02:52 PM

I agree, we'll said Kabwe.

For the new guys Welcome and I would just say that this forum has tons of different personality types so don't take it personally if a few rub you the wrong way. Keep posting your questions and comments. You may have to weed through a few unwanted comments but I haven't found a better forum for answers. Overall the amount of knowledge and experience Of the members is top notch. Happy truck building to ALL !
Posted via Mobile Device

bowt1ed 10-30-2012 03:16 PM

Amen brothers!

mr48chev 10-30-2012 10:46 PM

Gents, I did give him an option of modifying his crossmember and even hunted down the link while the others made suggestions for him to spend $3000 or didn't realize that he had a C-10 crossmember rather than a MII crossmeber and made suggestions for a MII.

JCardy, don't worry about me or that I am not a big fan of some of the car fads. Even if I'm not a fan of certain things I'll try to help with suggestions for safe and reasonably economical solutions to the questions guys have. I won't assume that you have a huge budget like some will and suggest very expensive pieces simply because they are on my fantasy parts list. I won't try to sell you my expensive parts as I don't make or sell parts and am not here to sell anything. I will tell you if I think something is unsafe and offer a reasonable suggestion to correct it.

**grumpy** 11-16-2012 02:48 AM

4 Attachment(s)
My old 53 Burb I built in 2007 had a JW Rod Garage MII, with drop spindles and bags in front.
And a No-limit Engineering Fatbar 4-link in rear with 7" notch.

Running 15x6 GM steelies with 205-75-15 radial www's.

It couldnt be any lower. Actually laid on pavement air'd out...;):lol:

And I loved it laid out flat! :metal: