The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Dropped crossmember truck handling (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=562293)

bruce bruce 01-23-2013 11:45 AM

Dropped crossmember truck handling

I've been hearing that these trucks with the dropped crossmembers don't handle well and have allot of bump steer. I'd like to hear from people that actually have one on the road. Thanks in advance.

PBFAB.COM 01-23-2013 11:49 AM

Re: Dropped crossmember truck handling

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruce bruce (Post 5837518)
I've been hearing that these trucks with the dropped crossmembers don't handle well and have allot of bump steer. I'd like to hear from people that actually have one on the road. Thanks in advance.

Are you referring to a replacement cross-member or a factory cross-member that has been sectioned?

bruce bruce 01-23-2013 11:52 AM

Replacement dropped crossmembers.

PBFAB.COM 01-23-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruce bruce (Post 5837535)
Replacement dropped crossmembers.

There are several on the forum that should be able to give you good feedback on the different brands.

As for my personal experience with our product... nothing but good things to say. :)

N2Billett, Delmo, and Dino are only a few that have logged a ton of miles on our front ends. I would suggest sending a PM to ask them if they don't chime in on this thread.

Nate

N2TRUX 01-23-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruce bruce (Post 5837518)

Where are you hearing this from? It sounds as if your sources are just repeating uninformed opinions.

There are several vendors on here that offer replacement suspension for these trucks. I have read many posts by lots of owners that are very pleased with their product. I have not read a single one that complained of ill handling or bumpsteer after the install.

I am sure that you will get plenty of input from happy owners, but I request that you read through the vast amount of input posted in this forum as well.

bruce bruce 01-23-2013 12:20 PM

I'm not going to mention brands but I was told of 3 that were removed and replaced due to ill-handling. All 3 were the same brand. I also have one of them that has yet to hit the road and am very concerned.

JNJchev77 01-23-2013 12:29 PM

You were "told" this, but have no first hand experience?... Why not just give the brand name?

I can vouch for Porterbuilts DM, handling is vastly improved over stock. Now, remember most of these that have extreme drops aren't necessarily set up for "Auto Cross", if that's how they're gauging the performance of the system...

PBFAB.COM 01-23-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruce bruce (Post 5837566)
I'm not going to mention brands but I was told of 3 that were removed and replaced due to ill-handling. All 3 were the same brand. I also have one of them that has yet to hit the road and am very concerned.

I would definitely recommend talking to Delmo. He has installed several of our front end kits and will give you honest feedback. N2Billett is another.

I have never heard any feedback close to what you are referring to. I would assume that i would be the first to know if this was truly the case.

Nate
Posted via Mobile Device

bruce bruce 01-23-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JNJchev77 (Post 5837584)
You were "told" this, but have no first hand experience?... Why not just give the brand name?

I can vouch for Porterbuilts DM, handling is vastly improved over stock. Now, remember most of these that have extreme drops aren't necessarily set up for "Auto Cross", if that's how they're gauging the performance of the system...

If you re-read my o.p. I was asking a question. No need to drop names ;)

PBFAB.COM 01-23-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruce bruce (Post 5837602)
If you re-read my o.p. I was asking a question. No need to drop names ;)

It isn't hard to look at your build thread and find out what parts you running and are "concerned" about.
;)
Posted via Mobile Device

JNJchev77 01-23-2013 12:52 PM

Yes, not hard at all, which is why I wondered why not just state the manufacturer... we're all big boys. :chevy:

lolife99 01-23-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruce bruce (Post 5837566)

What were the "removed crossmembers" replaced with?

mason 01-23-2013 01:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What up Bruce Bruce. I drive a body dropped dropmember truck on 20s and 22s. I've put close to 8,000 miles on it last year. Smooth as silk. My wife cruises the truck a couple inches off the ground and loves it (i prefer to be about 1/8" off the ground myself). I've towed with it also and it's sweet. I myself have heard of a front end being removed 3 times but it was not a dropmember and the ones removed were replaced with dropmember (true story that i saw with my own eyes) You'll love that thing on the road and you'll be stoked you went PorterBuilt the first time around!

Hope this helps.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

mason 01-23-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinos63 (Post 5837784)
I have the first d/m ever made by nate at p/b. I Installed a total of 5 d/m in different builds. big heavy panel 20's on front 22's rears close to 5ooo miles on it , my 61 crew cab also same combo and clocked over 10.000 miles,1978 c/10 same combo also 2.500 miles, 1966 sub 22"s front and rears sold it only got put 1000 on it, 66 pro street, 3" wheel on a 185x 15 tire 2.500 miles .I have never experience any bump steer on handling problems the front end works killer, any one that knows me or seen me drive my trucks knows i drive them very low and i am tough on my stuff.I have let plenty people including my kids drive my trucks never any complaints. any question any one wants to ask me pm me:metal:

Show off....
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

bruce bruce 01-23-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mason (Post 5837742)
What up Bruce Bruce. I drive a body dropped dropmember truck on 20s and 22s. I've put close to 8,000 miles on it last year. Smooth as silk. My wife cruises the truck a couple inches off the ground and loves it (i prefer to be about 1/8" off the ground myself). I've towed with it also and it's sweet. I myself have heard of a front end being removed 3 times but it was not a dropmember and the ones removed were replaced with dropmember (true story that i saw with my own eyes) You'll love that thing on the road and you'll be stoked you went PorterBuilt the first time around!

Hope this helps.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

That is what I was looking for. I didn't say what brand cuz I was looking for this response. Thanks Mason. Makes me feel better.

JNJchev77 01-23-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruce bruce (Post 5837836)
That is what I was looking for. I didn't say what brand cuz I was looking for this response. Thanks Mason. Makes me feel better.

I see Bruce Bruce. Glad you got what you were looking for!

Delmo 01-23-2013 03:05 PM

Hey Bruce, cool lookin truck. I only have good things to say about PB and I know you've heard it all before. All I can say is come by the shop next time your in town and we'll go for a rip in a dropmber truck. Sometimes it's the only way to actually experience it for yourself. You made the right choice man.

As for people talking, that's all it is and I challenge them to step up. I've installed every single front suspension out there and I know the differences in both product quality and service.
Posted via Mobile Device

n2billet 01-23-2013 05:18 PM

Hey Bruce, I don't know who or where you got your information from but I've had nothing but excellent results with the Porterbuilt Dropmembers. I know there are at least 1000 (probably closer to 2k) on the road which should be a indicator in itself. My last truck had the front and rear kits and it drove great with zero bump steer and I gave a few forum members rides that can attest to this.....I sell and install these products so if you have any questions please feel free to PM and ask me.

n2billet 01-23-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delmo (Post 5837914)
Hey Bruce, cool lookin truck. I only have good things to say about PB and I know you've heard it all before. All I can say is come by the shop next time your in town and we'll go for a rip in a dropmber truck. Sometimes it's the only way to actually experience it for yourself. You made the right choice man.

As for people talking, that's all it is and I challenge them to step up. I've installed every single front suspension out there and I know the differences in both product quality and service.Posted via Mobile Device

Amen!

bruce bruce 01-23-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n2billet (Post 5838150)
Hey Bruce, I don't know who or where you got your information from but I've had nothing but excellent results with the Porterbuilt Dropmembers. I know there are at least 1000 (probably closer to 2k) on the road which should be a indicator in itself. My last truck had the front and rear kits and it drove great with zero bump steer and I gave a few forum members rides that can attest to this.....I sell and install these products so if you have any questions please feel free to PM and ask me.

That's great to hear. Thanks for the input.

lolife99 01-23-2013 09:22 PM

Now you're selling it?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562378

bruce bruce 01-23-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 5838604)

Yes Sir.

Rochlow 01-23-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 5838604)

This will make someone a nice piece. Worth every penny in just install time and customer service.

Rusbuilt 01-23-2013 10:29 PM

Bruce I hate that you're selling your DM, I just ordered mine today! If you look back through this thread some of the best builders have posted very positive "EXPERIENCES" with Porderbuilt products and especially the front dropmember. I have read all of their builds, and trust me guys like Delmo, Dino, Keith (lolife) and Keith (N2billet) build nothing but the best show/go/tow/drive low trucks. Its because of these guys I chose to go with Porterbuilt! Best of luck with your build sir, you won't have any problems selling your dropmember on this board.

bruce bruce 01-23-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusbuilt (Post 5838771)
Bruce I hate that you're selling your DM, I just ordered mine today! If you look back through this thread some of the best builders have posted very positive "EXPERIENCES" with Porderbuilt products and especially the front dropmember. I have read all of their builds, and trust me guys like Delmo, Dino, Keith (lolife) and Keith (N2billet) build nothing but the best show/go/tow/drive low trucks. Its because of these guys I chose to go with Porterbuilt! Best of luck with your build sir, you won't have any problems selling your dropmember on this board.

My experience wasn't positive from the begining but I won't go into it on here.