The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Please help me with sequence of front sheet metal install. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=584687)

prostreetC-10 06-14-2013 02:46 PM

Please help me with sequence of front sheet metal install.

Well it's getting time to get the front end back on the beast. Problem is when I pulled the parts off, I ran into some clearance problems but I'll be darned if I can remember where. I know I pulled the fenders and fender wells off together. I believe the front core support was still on and made it a beach to get the fenders off. In a perfect world, how should this stuff go on so I'm not scratching what I just painted. Should I put the fender wells on and then the fenders as apposed to as a unit? Figured some of your truck parting pros could help. Thanks guys!

D.PASSMORE 06-14-2013 02:57 PM

Re: Please help me with sequence of front sheet metal install.

My technique: First align doors in cab frame, then set the cab, set bed to line up with cab. Then loosely bolt down core support, fenders. This is where it gets touchy on front clip - set spacers as needed / tighten bolts, but not real tight. Once you get decent fit, mount hood and adjust again. tighten in small increments. Last fender wells.

prostreetC-10 06-14-2013 03:05 PM

The doors didn't come off. Just firewall forward. Should I just kinda set the fender wells in and then the fenders? I guess my biggest question is if it's a good idea or not to bolt the fenders to the fender wells on the garage floor then try to put them on. That is the way I took them off.

67swb72klb 06-14-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.PASSMORE (Post 6123398)
My technique: First align doors in cab frame, then set the cab, set bed to line up with cab. Then loosely bolt down core support, fenders. This is where it gets touchy on front clip - set spacers as needed / tighten bolts, but not real tight. Once you get decent fit, mount hood and adjust again. tighten in small increments. Last fender wells.

x 2 it is not as hard to get it all lined up w/o the inners in there imo good luck and dont scratch it up

Dieselwrencher 06-14-2013 03:34 PM

I agree, install the inners last. You'll scratch the fenders more trying to set them on the truck with the inner flopping around while you're trying to position the fender.

prostreetC-10 06-14-2013 04:53 PM

How funny is this......I'm not worried about scratching the fenders, I'm worried about the fender wells. My truck is a patina'd truck. I want the engine compartment to look nice but the outside to look more like a "shop truck" or project for now. The fender wells are what I painted. lol

D.PASSMORE 06-14-2013 05:20 PM

Sounds like the plan is set - shiny fender wells last! Take some pics as you go. Good luck!

Dieselwrencher 06-14-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 (Post 6123551)
How funny is this......I'm not worried about scratching the fenders, I'm worried about the fender wells. My truck is a patina'd truck. I want the engine compartment to look nice but the outside to look more like a "shop truck" or project for now. The fender wells are what I painted. lol

If you have my kind of luck, you'll scratch what you are trying not to. :lol:

prostreetC-10 06-14-2013 05:57 PM

Somehow I got the newly ceramic coated headers in without a mark so maybe my luck will hold out. Thanks guys!

jaros44sr 06-14-2013 06:36 PM

Make sure you heater fan is bolted up before the inners go on...large drift pin punch works well for aligning holes

Make sure your battery tray is bolted up, before radiator, inside bolts are hard to get at

prostreetC-10 06-14-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 6123684)
Make sure you heater fan is bolted up before the inners go on...large drift pin punch works well for aligning holes

Heater fan? What's that? Is that what I threw in the scrap pile along with the heater core, box and controls? Son.....This is a pro-street monster. We don't use thing like a heater and A/C! lol

I know you are trying to help and thanks for the recommendations. Can you imagine how many guys probably hang their fenders and then go "oops"?

Tinkermc 06-14-2013 08:06 PM

How much was the paint job versus how much time do you have. I would remove the doors if you have to for proper alignment. Everything else aligns from the doors. You should take your time and have a great lookin truck, not a piece of crap that you don't want to admit is yours. JMHO, I just bet you have more time than money like of most of us here.

jaros44sr 06-14-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 (Post 6123770)
Heater fan? What's that? Is that what I threw in the scrap pile along with the heater core, box and controls? Son.....This is a pro-street monster. We don't use thing like a heater and A/C! lol

I know you are trying to help and thanks for the recommendations. Can you imagine how many guys probably hang their fenders and then go "oops"?

Guess i shoulda checked out your build thread....sorry

prostreetC-10 06-14-2013 08:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkermc (Post 6123811)
How much was the paint job versus how much time do you have.

LOL....look below and tell me how much you think I spent on the paint job! I worked a deal with "Mother Nature's Paint" :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 6123877)
Guess i shoulda checked out your build thread....sorry

No worries....totally having fun with you!