The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   "Hole in the Head" 48 GMC (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=585811)

RockTonka 06-22-2013 03:37 AM

"Hole in the Head" 48 GMC

5 Attachment(s)
I'm calling it that because that's about how much we need another project around here. :dohh:

But, my son likes it and I hope it grows on me. He found this outside of Tulsa last week and after going back and forth with the owner a bit arrived at an agreement. He put a retainer on it and will pick it up after his next pay check.

It's a 48 GMC that, although rich in patina, :lol: doesn't seem to have any through rust anywhere. Definately missing some parts here and there, and some dents and dings, but not too bad. Was "running when parked" 30 some years ago and we'll play around with trying to get it to run, but probably won't keep it stock. ;)

Few pics...

RockTonka 06-22-2013 03:41 AM

Re: "Hole in the Head" 48 GMC

5 Attachment(s)
Few more pics...

crossfire84 06-22-2013 07:49 AM

your rite you don't need an other project, i think you should let me help you and take this off your hands.:lol: looks like a nice ride to be, good luck.

Katrina/10 06-22-2013 08:33 AM

Totally cool truck, thanks for the pictures!

mknittle 06-22-2013 09:12 AM

I like the grille! I know where there is another one like it:lol:

RockTonka 06-22-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossfire84 (Post 6136275)
your rite you don't need an other project, i think you should let me help you and take this off your hands.:lol: looks like a nice ride to be, good luck.

Thanks, this may sit for for a while...or maybe we'll jump into it...been looking at alot of of cool trucks of this era as I research options :metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katrina/10 (Post 6136306)
Totally cool truck, thanks for the pictures!

Thanks and your more than welcome!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 6136340)
I like the grille! I know where there is another one like it:lol:

I looked all through your build...not one pic of that grill you're talking about! :lol: Lots of nice home brew solutions going on there...gonna be stealing some ideas from you. By the way, where's your update pics??? I wanna see what you've got done over the last year or so...:gmc2:

_Ogre 06-22-2013 09:16 PM

holy smoley that OK sun must be brutal :D

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1371886877

RockTonka 06-23-2013 01:35 AM

Yep, that patina is carried right over to the inside :lol:

flatbed51 06-26-2013 07:56 PM

Good looking project !

RockTonka 06-27-2013 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatbed51 (Post 6144100)
Good looking project !

Thanks fb51, what did you end up doing with that 49 you picked up in March?? You were hoping to have it running this summer...

flatbed51 06-27-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockTonka (Post 6144643)
Thanks fb51, what did you end up doing with that 49 you picked up in March?? You were hoping to have it running this summer...

The 49 is still sitting right where I unloaded it. Waiting on my shop to get finished. They promised me it would be ready in two weeks. Meanwhile I have been working on my 51 flatbed at a buddys shop. Problem is he is an hour and a half away, so only get down there on the weekends.

mknittle 06-27-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockTonka (Post 6136727)
Thanks, this may sit for for a while...or maybe we'll jump into it...been looking at alot of of cool trucks of this era as I research options :metal:

Thanks and your more than welcome!!

I looked all through your build...not one pic of that grill you're talking about! :lol: Lots of nice home brew solutions going on there...gonna be stealing some ideas from you. By the way, where's your update pics??? I wanna see what you've got done over the last year or so...:gmc2:

Thanks I like to build as much as I can it is sort of therapy after a round of brain cancer.
I got to get on the up dates. it seems every time I get started something happens and I get distracted.

mknittle 06-27-2013 10:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
:lol: here are a couple. I haven't decided if I am going to use it yet though.
The good thing is it would give me more room for a A/C condenser and electric fan in front of the radiator.:metal:

RockTonka 06-27-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatbed51 (Post 6145691)
The 49 is still sitting right where I unloaded it. Waiting on my shop to get finished. They promised me it would be ready in two weeks. Meanwhile I have been working on my 51 flatbed at a buddys shop. Problem is he is an hour and a half away, so only get down there on the weekends.

Ahh, gotcha. I bet you're excited to have your shop nearly finished. Are you gonna bring the 51 back once you've got your shop?

RockTonka 06-27-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 6146044)
Thanks I like to build as much as I can it is sort of therapy after a round of brain cancer.
I got to get on the up dates. it seems every time I get started something happens and I get distracted.

Glad to hear that you're kicking cancer's *ss, working on these old trucks is the best kind of therapy.
Your grill looks to be in better shape than ours, there doesn't seem to be that many being built...maybe the production numbers were lower :uhmk:, anyway, my vote is to use it :lol:

mknittle 06-28-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockTonka (Post 6146202)
Glad to hear that you're kicking cancer's *ss, working on these old trucks is the best kind of therapy.
Your grill looks to be in better shape than ours, there doesn't seem to be that many being built...maybe the production numbers were lower :uhmk:, anyway, my vote is to use it :lol:

I have been "Cancer free" for five years now.

I haven't seen very many of those grilles. I do have one picture of a truck with one from the NSRA nationals about four years ago. To me they are ugly but in a cool sort of way. If I use it, it would sure give the truck character. My dad got that truck for just that grille maybe 20 years ago. Good thing that's all he wanted. :lol:

flatbed51 06-28-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockTonka (Post 6146194)
Ahh, gotcha. I bet you're excited to have your shop nearly finished. Are you gonna bring the 51 back once you've got your shop?

Yes Rock as soon as I can get everything squared away in the shop I plan on the 51 being the first to go in. Hey the very first vehicle I ever owned was a 1950 GMC. It was my first custom resto with my dad. We rattle canned the interior, and installed a rubber floor mat mail ordered from JC Whitney. That was 43 years ago, I was 15 at the time. Been bit by the truck bug ever since. 47-54's have always been my favorite.

RockTonka 06-28-2013 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 6146585)
I have been "Cancer free" for five years now.

:ennyd:

I haven't seen very many of those grilles. I do have one picture of a truck with one from the NSRA nationals about four years ago. To me they are ugly but in a cool sort of way. If I use it, it would sure give the truck character. My dad got that truck for just that grille maybe 20 years ago. Good thing that's all he wanted. :lol:

Definitely ugly in a cool sort of way...or was that cool in an ugly sort of way :lol:

I like it because its different :uhmk:

RockTonka 06-28-2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatbed51 (Post 6147097)
Yes Rock as soon as I can get everything squared away in the shop I plan on the 51 being the first to go in. Hey the very first vehicle I ever owned was a 1950 GMC. It was my first custom resto with my dad. We rattle canned the interior, and installed a rubber floor mat mail ordered from JC Whitney. That was 43 years ago, I was 15 at the time. Been bit by the truck bug ever since. 47-54's have always been my favorite.

That's cool...is that 50 GMC around anymore?

flatbed51 06-29-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockTonka (Post 6147850)
That's cool...is that 50 GMC around anymore?

Rock, wish I knew what ever happened to it. I traded it off right after I got my license for a 1964 Impala 2dr hdt.

RockTonka 07-03-2013 12:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
We got the 48 home...don't know how soon we'll be able to devote some time to it, but at least it's out of the weather now.