The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Confused about drop spindles vs lowering coils (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=597593)

timberwolfgirl 09-21-2013 03:03 PM

Confused about drop spindles vs lowering coils

After asking 6 different people this same question, Ive gotten 6 different answers!! SO that leaves us very confused. We are new to the project and restoration community so sorry if some questions seem dumb to you veterans :) I was told that for a 2" drop I needed to buy 2 "drop springs and 2 1/2" drop spindles for the front. (WE will worry about the back later). So now that I have ordered and received them our friend putting them on said we only want one or the other. Meaning stock springs with drop spindles, or stock spindles with drop springs!!!!! I guess its really how low we want it to be in the end. Not stock but not completely slammed, somewhere in the middle......

Any help with this will be much appreciated:confused:

Terry Crist 09-21-2013 03:23 PM

Re: Confused about drop spindles vs lowering coils

Drop spindles with stock springs is the best way as far as I am concerned. You still get the same ride, just a lower truck.

The way you did it you get a 5 1/2" drop.

Half-Fast 09-21-2013 03:25 PM

2-1/2 + 2 = 4. I would go with the 2-1/2" drop spindles and stock springs.

edit: LOL, I was typing as Terry was posting.

sxtrail2 09-21-2013 03:32 PM

Yes 2 + 2.5=4.5..thats what mine is and lovin it...
Posted via Mobile Device

lolife99 09-21-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sxtrail2 (Post 6279548)
Yes 2 + 2.5=4.5
..thats what mine is and lovin it...
Posted via Mobile Device

x2

I was beginning to wonder if you guys ever took math in school.
Ha.

mixermike 09-21-2013 03:46 PM

Put both in now....if you don't do it now you will later I promise you that!! Once you go low you will always want to go lower!!!!!!! 4 1/2" in the front is not all that low
Posted via Mobile Device

Terry Crist 09-21-2013 04:12 PM

Boy, I can't add worth a crap!!!!!!:lol::lol:

oldblue1968chevy 09-21-2013 04:57 PM

How much $ u wanna spend? how low u wanna go

jpnh 09-21-2013 06:43 PM

i used 2 1/2 drop spindles and stock springs in the front. not too low. roads arnt as flat round here. still made it on the wrecker without dragging even with the air deflector on the front bumper. what are you usin for wheels? the size of the wheel/ back spacing/tire size come into play dont wanna be rubbn on the inner fender well over the smallest bump. in the rear i did a spring under the axle conversion had to remove the shackles n rebolt them remove the rubber snubbers n run the spring under the axle stead of over it still had enough space so it didnt bottom out. any lower and youll have to c notch the frame depends on the look your goin for. some people like more of a rake. take a look at some trucks in the forums and figure out what your goin for ask and find out what they had to do to achieve the height.-jeff

71swb4x4 09-21-2013 06:50 PM

2 + 2.5 certainly = 4.5", but chances are that is not the drop you will get. Generally that is the drop from the factory specified stock height. After 40+ years your stock springs are sagging. So if you have original springs, I would guess you are sagging an inch already, so those springs and drop spindles will likely give you 3.5" of drop from where you are today.

I would start with the spindles. You can always add the springs if it isn't low enough.

wraprail 09-23-2013 07:03 AM

I would just be aware of your lower control arm bushings in relation to the ground. I had 2.5 spindles and 3" drop springs (5.5" total?) and scraped the washers flat (74 c10). Also with 15" wheels the lower arm pivot point was lower than the bottom of the rims, illegal in most states. 20" wheels cured that and made it a lot safer on the hwy.
Posted via Mobile Device