The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   porterbuilt body drop kit (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=618409)

PowerdbyChevy79 02-27-2014 09:59 AM

porterbuilt body drop kit

Hey guys I want to get some tips, advice, info on the porterbuilt body drop kit... I got a 68 that im gonna keep static dropped but was thinkin of using the body drop kit for a lower look... any advice, help would be much appreciated...

bodydropped68 02-27-2014 10:23 AM

Re: porterbuilt body drop kit

I've been thinking about the same thing on my 68. I've already done a 5-7 and I want just that little more without anymore suspension mods it rides great now and is my daily. Been talking to Nate about it since he is building the parts for my other truck and he says it's alot of work for the grain of 3/4 of an inch you have to raise the bed floor mod the front inner fender wells and maybe even the trans tunnel but I think it would be worth it.

low&slow 02-28-2014 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bodydropped68 (Post 6547642)
I've been thinking about the same thing on my 68. I've already done a 5-7 and I want just that little more without anymore suspension mods it rides great now and is my daily. Been talking to Nate about it since he is building the parts for my other truck and he says it's alot of work for the grain of 3/4 of an inch you have to raise the bed floor mod the front inner fender wells and maybe even the trans tunnel but I think it would be worth it.

I posted this exact question a few days ago in the 67-72 truck area. As for what Nate told you, that's good info. I didn't get any of that info on my thread. As for all the things you got to do, that's a lot of work for just 3/4 of an inch. I mean it wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to raise the bed floor, but I'm not sure I really want to cut my bed out for not even an inch of body drop.

I then started to think about channeling the body around the frame. I understand you got to still do a lot of the same type of work that is required with the PB drop kit if not more, but at least with channeling it you can get more than 3/4 of an inch out it. Just my thoughts as I will be doing this in the near future.

STPrider 02-28-2014 10:12 AM

I'm not really sure if we're allowed to provide links to other sites on here, but this site (not a forum) has some good information about body drops.
http://www.c10-trucks.com/Types_Of__Body_Drop.php

tinydb84 02-28-2014 06:27 PM

Instead of doing the body drop what about making it lower while removing the lowest hanging parts?

Switch to a coil over dropmember which will get your lower with better clearance. You can trim the bottom of the frame to resolve clearance issues.

PowerdbyChevy79 03-01-2014 06:00 AM

Thx for the info guys....after lookin into it more..im not gonna do a body drop...too much work for such a lil pay off...just gonna do a simple 5.5/7 static drop

Lowl!f3 03-07-2014 12:37 AM

Maybe shave some off the rubber body mounts to drop it a bit.? Bed horns will have to be trimmed to match.

N2TRUX 03-07-2014 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowl!f3 (Post 6561930)
Maybe shave some off the rubber body mounts to drop it a bit.? Bed horns will have to be trimmed to match.

Whats a bed horn?

PBFAB.COM 03-07-2014 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 6562542)
Whats a bed horn?

It's like the Long Horns they put on the hood of a caddy.... but on the bed of a truck. Geez Ken, you should know being from Texas. :rolleyes:

Lowl!f3 03-17-2014 02:52 AM

Hahahah, sorry guys. I come from the minitruck scene. The lingo is a bit off :).