The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Cleaning Seatbelts (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=619670)

John in SoCal 03-07-2014 09:49 PM

Cleaning Seatbelts

What's the best way to clean an original set of seatbelts?

DPowers 03-07-2014 11:30 PM

Re: Cleaning Seatbelts

Dishwasher

John in SoCal 03-08-2014 12:58 AM

Years ago I had a friend that had a stainless Colt Python revoler. He had a cousin who told him it would be idea to clean his revolver in the dishwasher. Well he did, I guess it worked all right but it took every bit of oil off. Needless to say everything that needed to be oiled was not oiled. After a little while he I ended up with a rusty mess, mostly on the inside. Anyhow, I guess seatbelts who hold up a lot better.

Lee H 03-08-2014 10:13 AM

I let them sit in a bucket of woolite and hot water for an hour or so. Gently brush as needed an rinse. Real bad ones my need another soak. They come out amazingly clean.

russgoodman 03-08-2014 10:36 AM

I did similar to what Lee did, except I sprayed mine with spray n wash and soaked them in the sink in hot water and tide detergent. I also poured a little of the spray n wash in the water. I let it sit for an hour or so, then took a soft plastic bristle brush and put the belt under hot running water and scrubbed with the brush until no dirty water washed off the belt as I scrubbed.

Hung them up to dry and then dyed them with Rit dye. I only did the center belt because at the time they just released repro sets in black, so I bought them.

This was all with the buckle removed.

Some guys have used a power washer on them with good results. I didnt because of water rationing at the time.

Good luck!

cdowns 03-17-2014 03:36 PM

i like cleaning with gojo hand cleaner

BMERDOC 03-17-2014 03:40 PM

I let mine sit in a bucket of hot water and clothes detergent for a day and then hit them with the pressure washer. I took care to stay away from the date tag. The dirt rolled right out of them and once they were dry they were nice and clean and pliable again. Mine could use a dye job and a repaint on the buckles.

John in SoCal 03-17-2014 03:57 PM

Thanks for all of the tips. Haven't started yet but will soon enough. Those bolts are buggers to get out aren't they!!! Hit them with some liquid wrench but haven't gone back to them yet. John

leddzepp 03-18-2014 05:57 PM

I use simple green and a nylon brush. I would guess all of the above methods work great as well.

snipescastle2 03-27-2015 10:53 AM

I took mine and put them in the clothes washer with my jeans, turned out pretty good, just don't put them in the dryer, trust me, you won't like the noise!!! (I hung mine up in the garage and let them air dry)
HTH,
Ben:metal:

PanelDeland 04-13-2015 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John in SoCal (Post 6580341)
Thanks for all of the tips. Haven't started yet but will soon enough. Those bolts are buggers to get out aren't they!!! Hit them with some liquid wrench but haven't gone back to them yet. John

Loctite or the equivalent on all I've ever removed.

michael bustamante 04-15-2015 06:46 PM

have anyof you guys redyed them a different color?

thzpcs 05-30-2015 04:43 PM

I've dyed mine black, but I've never tried other colors.

TKCR 11-08-2015 07:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
i have a steam carpet extractor and do some detailing on the side. I have used it on some really dirty seatbelts, and you don't have to remove the belts. I just did a car that had tan belts and they really show the dirt. They came out great, I wished i had taken before & after pics to show the difference.

Extractors can be rented for the day. Get one and do your carpets and seats to make it worthwhile to rent. I do have a pic of my carpet & seat, it really brought the color back. You can see the line on the hump, where it is bringing the color back to life.

tommys72 12-05-2015 11:01 PM

I sprayed a set of red 68 belts with purple power, and pressure washed them. Looked like new afterwards.