The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Engine primer and paint (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=624758)

papsoldblue72 04-12-2014 08:57 PM

Engine primer and paint

What kind is the best to use???? So that it doesn't peel off... :chevy:

'68OrangeSunshine 04-13-2014 12:09 AM

Re: Engine primer and paint

I've had good results with VHT.

GASoline71 04-13-2014 12:29 AM

Or Duplicolor. Paint isn't the problem... it's prep of the the surfaces to be painted.

Gary

papsoldblue72 04-13-2014 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GASoline71 (Post 6626224)
Or Duplicolor. Paint isn't the problem... it's prep of the the surfaces to be painted.

Gary

Ok is there something special I need to do to the surface of the block??? Does the primer I use need to be heat resistant ???

special-K 04-13-2014 07:40 AM

I've never used primer and generally use Dupli-color. Alcohol or lacquer thinner prep well. I've used break Clean to degrease and painted straight after that. I'm sure there are more professional ways. But I'm not talking show quality,just simple and easy

GASoline71 04-13-2014 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papsoldblue72 (Post 6626360)
Ok is there something special I need to do to the surface of the block??? Does the primer I use need to be heat resistant ???

Engines are greasy by nature. Even newly rebuilt ones. So I use either brake clean or contact cleaner on mine. Acetone works too.

Yes you will need an engine heat rated primer. They are right along side the engine paints in the parts stores. I don't use a primer either. I usually do about 4 to 5 coats f paint.

Gary

'68OrangeSunshine 04-13-2014 04:28 PM

In Tucson, I take advantage of the Sun, and leave the part out in full sunshine to warm up, before shooting paint. I also shoot the surfaces down with Brake Cleaner, but let it evaporate completely [and the part to warm back up] before painting. I have tried it with hi temp primer and without and can't say one is better than the other. VHT is a division of Dupli-Color now, but that high heat range is better on headers and exhaust manifolds. Hi Temp [+500*F] Dupli-Color is OK.
If you're not shooting on bare metal, scuff the surface wth steel wool.

Bigdav160 04-13-2014 07:21 PM

I shot several engines with epoxy primer then base coat/clear coat.

They still look pretty.

papsoldblue72 04-15-2014 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GASoline71 (Post 6626841)
Engines are greasy by nature. Even newly rebuilt ones. So I use either brake clean or contact cleaner on mine. Acetone works too.

Yes you will need an engine heat rated primer. They are right along side the engine paints in the parts stores. I don't use a primer either. I usually do about 4 to 5 coats f paint.

Gary

Thanks Gary...... I think I'm going to go with the Dupli-color engine primer and paint...

LUCKTRUCK 04-15-2014 01:05 PM

I've had good results with PPG epoxy primer and VHT spray.

knomadd 04-15-2014 01:07 PM

If you're not looking for a glass smooth surface, primer isn't really needed. I've only used primer once on an intake manifold and it didn't make a difference what-so-ever. Save your time and money. And I use the Dupli-color engine enamel too. On a driveable vehicle, I'll take it to a local quarter car wash, spray it with engine degreaser, use a scraper for large particles then wash it off and let it dry. Before I paint it, I'll use brake cleaner for the residue and just paint it.

If you have peeling/chipping paint, you'll want to scrape that off or your new paint will still come off.

bMr 04-15-2014 04:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Resprayed this engine last weekend after cleaning in Purple Power, brake cleaner, and a bristle brush. Local machine shop bead blasted the oil pan, valve covers and timing cover for a very reasonable price and it was totally worth it; I literally sprayed them down in brake cleaner to degrease the finger prints then shot the orange.

Dupli-Color low gloss black, VHT Chevy orange, and (uncured) VHT header paint on the manifolds. Previously all of the engine was in Dupli-color Chevy orange, which held up pretty darn well over the last 15 years.

brad_man_72 04-16-2014 10:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Prep prep prep.
Ground everything down till It was smooth, clean, then spray bombed it. I've seen worse in $100k street rods.

litew8 04-16-2014 10:29 PM

"Dawn - Takes grease out of your way!"
http://www.ilsiciliano.net/truck/blo...g_products.jpg

roxxx 04-16-2014 10:36 PM

Wurth has a product at is specifically for cleaning surfaces for auto body you can buy it om large cost effective containers and put it in a regular spray bottle

Next time I am at my client i will find out what it is