The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Suburban Bench Seat (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=626331)

thekuse 04-24-2014 04:15 PM

Suburban Bench Seat

5 Attachment(s)
I have recently acquire the 3rd row seat out of either a 1968 or 1969 Chevrolet Suburban. I have a 1969 Chevrolet C-20 and was just going to use the bench as a couch for parades or to tailgate, until I learned that they are quite rare. I was wondering "HOW RARE" it was and if it would be worth anything? I have since cleaned it and repainted both the underside brackets and armrest bars. I will post pictures for confirmation and evidence.

Bigdav160 04-24-2014 08:04 PM

Re: Suburban Bench Seat

I cannot answer the question of rarity except to say I believe the Blazer/Jimmy shared the same seat. Suburbans with three seats received two of them, however, the middle seat had different brackets.

The real rarity might be in the seat cover. It looks really nice and I doubt it's being reproduced.

thekuse 04-24-2014 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdav160 (Post 6644661)
I cannot answer the question of rarity except to say I believe the Blazer/Jimmy shared the same seat. Suburbans with three seats received two of them, however, the middle seat had different brackets.

The real rarity might be in the seat cover. It looks really nice and I doubt it's being reproduced.

Any idea on what the value of the bench would be??

vectorit 04-24-2014 08:11 PM

My guess is that it is a 1969 Jimmy bench.
1. 1967-68 didn't have scroll pattern in the vinyl.
2. 1967-68 didn't have faux stitch in the back vinyl.
3. That fabric is indicative to GMC trucks.
4. There is only two rear mounting brackets.

Of course I may be wrong on some of that, but in all the years I have been researching this stuff. I have found that GM used different vendors for seat coverings, so there is a lot of variances in the width to vinyl dimensions.

They are sought after by Blazer/Suburban restorers, especially the restorations that focus on OE restoration.
My guess is that you could get a few hundred bucks for it, but that is just for the frame and brackets 'n such.
The foam appears to be perished, so a restoration would require all new foam and the cover would be used as a template.

thekuse 04-24-2014 08:14 PM

I did pull this out of a Suburban from a salvage yard though. It matched the front bench from the vehicle.

budnikguy 04-24-2014 09:15 PM

I just sold a complete 3rd row seat, brackets, seatbelts, and all for $200

In The Ten Ring 04-25-2014 12:51 AM

I love bench seats. You can carry more people, more stuff, they are quit comfortable, and since I still use my cars for dates (and I'm single :) )....bench seats are great for dates!

My parents have had a bench seat (Plymouth Valiant) as a seat in the garage for over 40 years. I love sitting there to put my shoes on.

Steve Hafner 05-01-2014 09:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
. . . .

The first picture below, shows the NON-scroll pattern in the center of the 68 seat.

The second picture below, shows the scroll pattern in the center of the 70 - 72 seat.

The red seat below, is the cloth seat from a 69 with the single scroll design.

In "MY" opinion - that's a pretty rare seat in that condition - I would think it would be worth quite a bit to someone looking for one !!!

. . . .

thekuse 05-01-2014 09:41 AM

That's what I thought Steve. Thanks for the input. I am amazed that it cleaned up that great. There aren't any rips or tears and it's in original condition!

boschma 05-11-2014 03:29 PM

Wish you were closer! I'd love to buy a third row seat for my '72