The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New wiring harness questions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=660645)

1970chevc101994 02-18-2015 12:39 AM

New wiring harness questions

Looking at buying a new wiring harness for my 1970 chevy c10 swb. Just wondering if anyone has done this or has any recommendations on brands to use or not to use. Is it difficult? Any pictures or just knowledge on this would be appreciated. Thank you

davischevy 02-18-2015 12:49 AM

Re: New wiring harness questions

Not difficult, but time consuming. Just get everything out of your way. Drop the column, pull the cluster, glove box, everything. The new harness will pretty much fall into place. It's very gratifying when it's installed, knowing all those cut and bare wires are gone, everything makes connection and it looks good.

I don't have a recomendation on suppliers, but I would start with a supporter of the board.

Larry

1970chevc101994 02-18-2015 12:59 AM

Thank you. I will try starting there

Swiftshifter68 02-18-2015 05:00 AM

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.

GASoline71 02-18-2015 02:03 PM

I got my engine wire harness and front light wire harness from Wes at Classic Heartbeat (site sponsor). The are made by M&H Auto Wire. Completely plug and play with all the correct factor clips, plugs and connectors. Correct harness "tape" and even the plastic channels that the wires run through on the firewall and along the front radiator support.

Great product and easy to install.

Gary

68nou1 02-18-2015 02:45 PM

Can't speak for my c-10 yet but i used American Autowire on my 68 camaro and it was a pretty complete kit. Came with all terminals i needed, good schematic layout, color coated and labled wires. Just took time to terminate and put connectors on. The harness had plenty of wire, as far as length of the wires, also.

Larryzzo 02-18-2015 02:57 PM

I'm in the middle of a complete ground-up resto on my 70 C-10. I went with the American Autowire 510089. Not the cheapest way to go, but I couldn't be happier with it. High quality product and the instructions are making it much easier than I thought. But it is time consuming to do it right.

leddzepp 02-18-2015 04:53 PM

M and H or American Autowire. Identical to factory harness.

1970chevc101994 02-18-2015 05:53 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Haven't got a chance to check any of these out yet. Just finished pulling the cab off, motor and tranny. Just get nervous pulling all them wires off (hate wiring) and possibly not remembering where or what they go to. I can follow a wiring diagram pretty good though so I think I should be fine. Thanks again

SS Tim 02-18-2015 06:59 PM

Label each connector in place and take pictures of each and every one. The less you are into wiring the more important this is.
As to harnesses buy the best and most finished you can afford. A drop in exact reproduction is the best bet on a stock truck. Most of the time if you plan ahead, upgrades like an HEI or gauges can be easily accommodated in the new harness. "Universal"s often end up worse than the original harness being replaced.

1970chevc101994 02-18-2015 07:50 PM

Any opinions on Painless wiring kits? I checked out the American auto wire and all I could find was pieces not the whole kit

bigmac73 02-18-2015 08:09 PM

look at GMC pauls, he has everything

GASoline71 02-19-2015 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS Tim (Post 7055012)
Label each connector in place and take pictures of each and every one. The less you are into wiring the more important this is.
As to harnesses buy the best and most finished you can afford. A drop in exact reproduction is the best bet on a stock truck. Most of the time if you plan ahead, upgrades like an HEI or gauges can be easily accommodated in the new harness. "Universal"s often end up worse than the original harness being replaced.

Can't stress that enough. I.ve been working on cars and trucks for 35 years and still label every single terminal, clip and connector with masking tape and a sharpie. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1970chevc101994 (Post 7055094)
Any opinions on Painless wiring kits? I checked out the American auto wire and all I could find was pieces not the whole kit

Painless Wiring is anything but painless. :lol: I have only installed one painless kit and never again.

Like I stated before I got my harnesses from Classic Heartbeat. He has all the wire harnesses listed with pics. But if you got M&H's website, they have every single bit of wiring for these trucks. Just no pics.

Gary

bbcmudtruck 02-19-2015 11:14 AM

I'm running an American Autowire harness as well. I hate running electricity, but this kit was easy to use. It had all the oem fasteners, plenty of extra wire so that I could tuck and hide as well. Highly recommend going with them.

jeffahart 02-19-2015 12:07 PM

Here's a pic of a full kit and video from American Auto Wire. I found this because I am in the market for rewire this summer.

http://www.americanautowire.com/shop...-1969-72-truck

harleyhouser 02-19-2015 12:15 PM

laidbackrestorations is a supporting board member and gave me a good quote on an american wire kit. you can find them in vendor section

trkfrk 02-19-2015 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by harleyhouser (Post 7056156)
laidbackrestorations is a supporting board member and gave me a good quote on an american wire kit. you can find them in vendor section

X2^^^ I just recieved my kit from laidbackrestorations great price and shipped right out.